A Pelican at Blandings by P. G. Wodehouse

A Pelican at Blandings (1969)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Series: Blandings Castle Novels (book 10)

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
Whether Shropshire is fictional or purely not, I'm not going there ever again - figuratively. The goalposts have moved. I think Wodehouse will be one of the first big names that no one remembers in the coming centuries. Summer Lightning was good - not great. Pigs have Wings was nice to read. What passed for entertaining literature no longer cuts the mustard nowadays. The worrying thing is that something else should and must occupy the vacuum left behind by authors like Wodehouse, Doyle, and their generation. I'm getting so desperate that i'm contemplating giving Stephanie Meyer a try. And I'm not envisaging reading The Host. Anyway I wanted to spell it out. This is not funny. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
Satisfactory. This being my first Wodehouse, I think that I approached it expecting something wonderful given the number of times that I'd heard of Wodehouse's brilliance. I came away a little disappointed, but with nothing that I can pin down as the reason.

This is a late entry in the 'Blandings Castle' cycle: the last before the unfinished Sunset at Blandings. It features Gally as the principal protagonist, organising the life of his godson John Halliday who has just become engaged at the same time as uncovering a tricky situation related to the art gallery in which he has invested the bulk of his money. Gally takes a trip to Blandings at the behest of Halliday, joining a growing house-party of assorted guests who are connected in a number of ways that form the plot twists. Each character is well drawn; sufficiently sketched such that the work stands easily alone even though it forms part of an extended series. However, perhaps my lack of knowledge of the back-stories of the characters was one of the factors that made me think that there was something missing at the core of the book.

The pacing is fine and the setting is almost timeless (somewhat necessary for a series written over a period approaching 45 years). The language rarely introduces words and phrases that are outside the normal lexicon, and there were only a couple of times that I struggled with the sentence structure. However, such minor inconsistencies were sufficient for me to get a bit annoyed given the high standard that I was expecting.

So, my criticisms are all minor, but this wouldn't stop me recommending the work as something that can safely be tested as a stand-alone work within the Wodehouse cannon, to see if the style suits. ( )
  Noisy | Mar 10, 2010 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattila, RaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The summer day was drawing to a close and dusk had fallen on Blandings Castle, shrouding from view the ancient battlements, dulling the silver surface of the lake and causing Lord Emworth's supreme Berkshire sow Empress of Blandings to leave the open air portion of her sty and withdraw into the covered shed where she did her sleeping.
UK title 'A Pelican at Blandings', US title 'No Nudes is Good Nudes'

Penguin blurb:
Alaric, Duke of Dunstable, has something everyone wants to get their hands on ...
He has arrived in Blandings with a picture bought in a London gallery under the nose of Willie Trout, who will pay any price for it. Lord Emsworth is convinced the painting, a rather fetching nude, bears more than a passing resemblance to his peerless prize pig, the Empress. Before long Blandings is a hornet's nest of theft, forgery and impostors. Fortunately, Sir Galahad, illustrious member of the old Pelican Club, is on hand to sort things out.

In the absence of his managing sister, the ninth Earl of Emsworth calls in the Hon. Galahad Threepwood to help him pair off the assorted godsons, impostors and pretty girls. Fortunately, many years membership of the Pelican Club have given Galahad the edge in quick thinking.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:56 -0400)

Humorous fiction. Unwelcome guests are descending on Blandings Castle - particularly the overbearing Duke of Dunstable, who settles in the Garden Suite with no intention of leaving, and Lady Constance, Lord Emsworth's sister and a lady of firm disposition, who arrives unexpectedly from New York. Skulduggery is also afoot involving the sale of a modern nude painting (mistaken by Lord Emsworth for a pig). It's enough to take the noble earl on the short journey to the end of his wits. Luckily Clarence's brother Galahad Threepwood, cheery survivor of the raffish Pelican Club, is on hand to set things right, restore sundered lovers and even solve all the mysteries.… (more)

33 wanted3 pay9 pay

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible