The Serpent's Tale (aka The Death Maze) by…

The Serpent's Tale (aka The Death Maze) (2008)

by Diana Norman

Series: Mistress of the Art of Death (2)

English (74)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (76)
A good second book in the series; I enjoyed Franklin's continued exploration of her rather non-traditional characters. It reminds me a lot of the Brother Cadfael series (for obvious reasons) but with a more interesting protagonist. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 19, 2015 |
This is the second of the Mistress of the Art of Death's series and I liked it very much. This time Adelia had to find out who was the murderer of the king's mistress and who was the purchaser. Very quickly Adelia found out whereof the victim died. She suspected that Queen Eleanor must be the originator. Due to several murders and other entanglements Adelia needed a long time to find out who was behind all this.
It was a very gripping listening and I'm looking for the sequels. ( )
  Ameise1 | Aug 15, 2015 |
This is second book featuring Adelia from MISTRESS IN THE ART OF DEATH. King Henry and his wife Eleanor are at odds and Henry's mistress Rosamund has just been poisoned. Can Adelia solve the crime before the royal marital spat causes another civil war? Another CSI-ish book made more intersting by setting it in the middle ages and having a strong female lead.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I think I made a mistake thinking I could read this without reading the first book. No can do. It was interesting, but I didn't connect and I'm confused.

Gonna try it again later...maybe? Idk when I'll have time to read the first book, or if I'll even remember. Shelving this as DNF.
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
The Serpent’s Tale by Ariana Franklin is the second entry in the excellent Mistress of the Art of Death Series. Set in the 12th Century during the rule of Henry II, this historical mystery has the main character Adelia Aguilar being sent off with the Bishop of St. Albans to investigate the death of Henry’s mistress, Rosamund Clifford. First and foremost, Adelia must answer as to whether Queen Eleanor was involved.

To complicate matters further, the Bishop of St. Albans is Rowley Picot, the father of Adelia’s baby and the love of her life. This story is full of action and adventure although taking place in the dead of winter. Even as she is being held captive by the Queen’s unscrupulous subordinates, Adelia is investigating the murder not realizing that a very efficient assassin is following her every move.

I found The Serpent’s Tale delivered an excellent mystery while at the same time brought the 12th Century to vivid life. Although there was some repetition at the beginning of the book in order to remind the reader of Adelia’s medical training and how she ended up in England these were quickly dealt with. I will definitely be following more of Adelia’s adventures in the next medieval mystery of this series that is all the more valued due to the death of the author. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 17, 2015 |

Wasel, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoshizawa, YasukoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dr. Mary Lynch, MD., FRCP, FRCPI,

consultant cardiologist.

My literally heartfelt thanks.
The two men's voices carried down the tunnels with reverberations that made them indistinguishable but, even so, gave the impression of a business meeting.
"Dum vivimus, vivamus," he said. "Let us live while we live. I subscribe to the Epicureans." - "Do you know the mortality rate among Epicureans?"
Eleanor leaned forward, cupping her ear again, then stood back. "Demons? Belial?." She turned to her audience. "The woman threatens me with Belial. My dear, I married him."
Henry swived more women than most men had hot dinners. "Literally, a father to his people," Rowley had said of him once, with pride.
Life was sacred; nobody knew that better than a doctor who dealt with its absence.
That didn't get any applause either, but from somewhere deep into the congregation, someone farted. Loudly. The men-at-arms turned their heads this way and that, looking for a culprit. But, though a shiver swept though the crowd, every face remained stolid. How I love the English, Adelia thought.
aka The Death Maze

The Fair Rosamund, mistress of King Henry II, has died a suspicious death -- and the king thinks his estranged queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine, may be behind it. If Eleanor really is guilty, the result could be all-out civil war in England. Henry must summon medical examiner Dr. Adelia Aguilar, "mistress of the art of death," out of retirement to uncover the truth.
Lovely Rosamund
Lies poisoned; did jealous Queen
Eleanor do it?
Doctor to the dead
Adelia must prevent
All-out civil war.

Adelia is back in action! Ariana Franklin combines the best of modern forensic thrillers with the detail and drama of medieval fiction in this enthralling historical novel, the second in the Mistress of the Art of Death series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Ordered by Henry II to establish the possible role of Eleanor of Aquitaine in the poisoning death of Henry's mistress, a reluctant Adelia Aguilar joins forces with her infant daughter's father, the Bishop of St. Albans, during the investigation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible