The Serpent's Tale (aka The Death Maze) by…

The Serpent's Tale (aka The Death Maze) (2008)

by Ariana Franklin

Series: Mistress of the Art of Death (2)

English (79)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (81)
The Serpent’s Tale by Ariana Franklin
Book #2 in the Mistress of the Art of Death
4 Stars

Synopsis:
A forensic scientist in medieval times, Adelia Aguilar finds herself embroiled in another case of murder and politics when King Henry II's mistress is poisoned. Adeila must discover the murderer's identity before she and her loved ones are caught up in the civil war that threatens to break out between Henry and his rebellious wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Review:
Gets off to a slow start but increases in pace and tension and packs a huge wallop at the end. Adelia is one of my favorite characters. Her intelligence and fierce independence are awe inspiring and I really enjoy reading about her love/hate relationship with Rowley Picot, now the Bishop of Saint Albans.
The political machinations that constitute the basis for the murder plot may be a little confusing at times, especially for those unfamiliar with English history in that period. Nevertheless, the basic motives of greed and ambition come through quite clearly. I must say that the identity of the assassin caught me by surprise. He turns out to be the one character I never suspected.
Recommendation: An interesting and entertaining read. I am eagerly looking forward to the next one. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I loved this story in the Mistress in the Art of Death series much better than the first. This story seemed more appropriate to the time period. The historical backdrop was beautifully described and the mystery itself was well-written. When the revelation was made at the end of the story, I felt all of the pieces clicking together and found myself saying, Doh, I should have guessed that." The clues were there, but were written very subtly. I really enjoyed reading this one (although I did love book 1, too).
" ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
This mystery starts with someone hiring a menacing and clever assassin and it becomes Adelia's mission to uncover him and solve the mystery of Fair Rosamunde's death. There are some truly horrible scenes in this medieval mystery, but once again, Franklin has populated her novel with wonderful, interesting characters and the plot twists and turns in all directions. A great read. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
The Serpent’s Tail – Ariana Franklin
3 stars
This is the second book of the medieval mystery series featuring Adelia Aguilar, Doctor of Death. Adelia is called out of retirement (in more modern terms, her maternity leave ends) to determine the cause of death of the king’s mistress. She finds herself snowbound in a nunnery with Eleanor of Acquitaine and one or more murderers. Although there is a decent mystery and interesting characters, I have decided that this series is not for me. Adelia and her entourage seemed even more historically unlikely in this book than in the first one. Also, I am not found of gruesome descriptions of decaying corpses. This book made me long for a visit with Brother Cadfael.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I've read the 1st and the 3rd books in this series and I liked them very much. This book, not so much. It was okay but I found this story tedious, being largely about rebellion between King Henry II and his wife, Eleanor of Acquitaine. Additionally, due to broad hints in the beginning, I knew who the bad guy was as soon as he appeared on the scene. Her other books kept me guessing. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Wasel, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoshizawa, YasukoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dr. Mary Lynch, MD., FRCP, FRCPI,

consultant cardiologist.

My literally heartfelt thanks.
The two men's voices carried down the tunnels with reverberations that made them indistinguishable but, even so, gave the impression of a business meeting.
"Dum vivimus, vivamus," he said. "Let us live while we live. I subscribe to the Epicureans." - "Do you know the mortality rate among Epicureans?"
Eleanor leaned forward, cupping her ear again, then stood back. "Demons? Belial?." She turned to her audience. "The woman threatens me with Belial. My dear, I married him."
Henry swived more women than most men had hot dinners. "Literally, a father to his people," Rowley had said of him once, with pride.
Life was sacred; nobody knew that better than a doctor who dealt with its absence.
That didn't get any applause either, but from somewhere deep into the congregation, someone farted. Loudly. The men-at-arms turned their heads this way and that, looking for a culprit. But, though a shiver swept though the crowd, every face remained stolid. How I love the English, Adelia thought.
aka The Death Maze

The Fair Rosamund, mistress of King Henry II, has died a suspicious death -- and the king thinks his estranged queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine, may be behind it. If Eleanor really is guilty, the result could be all-out civil war in England. Henry must summon medical examiner Dr. Adelia Aguilar, "mistress of the art of death," out of retirement to uncover the truth.
Lovely Rosamund
Lies poisoned; did jealous Queen
Eleanor do it?
(passion4reading)
Doctor to the dead
Adelia must prevent
All-out civil war.
(passion4reading)

Adelia is back in action! Ariana Franklin combines the best of modern forensic thrillers with the detail and drama of medieval fiction in this enthralling historical novel, the second in the Mistress of the Art of Death series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Ordered by Henry II to establish the possible role of Eleanor of Aquitaine in the poisoning death of Henry's mistress, a reluctant Adelia Aguilar joins forces with her infant daughter's father, the Bishop of St. Albans, during the investigation.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible