If Death Ever Slept by Rex Stout

If Death Ever Slept (original 1957; edition 1995)

by Rex Stout

Member:jonesli
Title:If Death Ever Slept
Authors:Rex Stout
Info:Bantam (1995), Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:12 in 12 Challenge, Your library
Tags:12 in 12, Happy Birthday, Finished December 2012

If Death Ever Slept by Rex Stout (1957)

Recently added bymellu, betpchem, private library, RBHughes, Harry_Vincent, contented, thatotter

I liked the idea of 1950s NYC's answer to Sherlock Holmes, but I didn't really like this novel. Maybe I picked the wrong one to start with. But I didn't care about the characters, and the mystery seemed pretty pointless and was solved in a boring, unconvincing way.

However...check out some of the foods they ate during this book:

- shad roe with créole sauce
- bread triangles fried in anchovy butter
- "hedgehog omelet"
- avocado, whipped with sugar and lime juice and green chartreuse
- fresh strawberry omelet

It's a crazy world out there. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Not the best Stout I've ever read, by any means. Felt like nothing much happened for a while and then Wolfe had his "confront the cast" moment and that was that. Meh. ( )
  dmmjlllt | Feb 4, 2013 |
This was the first Nero Wolfe mystery I ever read. I found it on my mother's bookshelves when I was around 11 or 12 years old and instantly fell truly, madly, deeply in love with Archie Goodwin, Wolfe's wisecracking, handsome legman. His description of Lois Jarrell from their first meeting hit me like a brick, and not only because I myself wore my brown hair in a ponytail and had greenish brown eyes:

"I pivoted. A girl all in white with bare tanned arms and a bare tanned throat down to the start of the curves and a tanned face with dimples and greenish brown eyes and a pony tail was coming. If you are thinking that is too much to take in with a quick glance, I am a detective and a trained observer. I had time not only to take her in but also think, Good Lord, if that's Susan and she's a snake I'm going to take up herpetology, if that's the word, and I can look it up."

It's a great book, is what I'm saying. I've read it at least a dozen times, and I will probably read it a dozen more before I turn my last page. You should read it at least once. ( )
2 vote rosalita | May 9, 2012 |
Very well written, but not a great mystery. ( )
  Pdore | Dec 21, 2011 |
A 1957 entry in the long-running Nero Wolfe series, Rex Stout's If Death Ever Slept features more Archie Goodwin and less Nero Wolfe than usual. A wealthy businessman comes to Wolfe to ask him to find proof that his daughter-in-law is a "snake" who is giving bits of business information to his rivals, who then can take advantage of the information and undermine his business. Wolfe sends Archie to the wealthy man's home, a large apartment on two floors, where Archie poses as the man's new secretary in order to wend his way into the family's routine. When first the man's loaded gun goes missing and then Archie's predecessor in the job turns up dead, the man is convinced that it is his daughter-in-law's fault, but it is up to Archie and Wolfe to determine whether that is the case or not, all the while keeping Inspector Cramer in the dark about Archie's presence in the house.... One fun element of this series is watching the ways in which Wolfe does his best to avoid doing any actual work, and in this outing he spends considerable time being petulant and peevish, while Archie is left to his own devices until Wolfe finally decides to apply his genius to the case. I liked this story quite a lot, and very much enjoyed the surprise solution, which I certainly didn't expect. Recommended, as always! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Nov 24, 2011 |

Rex Stoutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, Robert B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It would not be strictly true to say that Wolfe and I were not speaking that Monday morning in May.

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

26 wanted1 pay2 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible