dismiss

Magician by Raymond E. Feist
3,623522,397 (4.2)1 / 131
At Crydee, a frontier outpost in the tranquil Kingdom of the Isles, an orphan boy, Pug, is apprenticed to a master magician and the destinies of two worlds are changed forever.

English (51)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
This book is brilliant in its written form and just as great as an audio book. I often found myself fully emerged in the worlds of Feist and could not get enough.
The performance was solid throughout and easily understood. The variety of accents and tones were great and allowed for a diverse range of character representation. There was the odd bit of pronunciation of names which was different to how I think of them but that was minor for me.
I'm looking forward to revisiting this world of old friends. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 29, 2019 |
Dit was een lange zit. 993 pagina's (volgens mijn e-reader). Gelukkig heb ik me door het eerste hoofdstuk heen geworsteld, want dat begon niet echt indrukwekkend. Gaandeweg werd het verhaal echter steeds interessanter

Liefde, loyaliteit, heldhaftigheid, plicht, oorlog, alles komt aan bod in dit boek. Dit is voor mij echte fantasy, geen Harry Potter-fantasy, maar pure fantasy. O.. en draken.. Er zijn draken in dit boek.

De weesjongen, Puc, wordt door de magiër aangenomen als zijn leerling. De jongen lijkt echter weinig magische krachten, tot de dag dat hij de dochter van de hertog red van twee trollen.
Zijn vriend Tomas ondergaat zijn militaire training veel beter.

De karakters zijn goed ontwikkeld en maken flink wat groei door. Wat ik jammer vind is dat er soms flinke sprongen in tijd worden gemaakt in een paar regels.

Wat opviel is hoe Arutha van een bij-figuur (eentje waarvan je het bestaan eigenlijk al weer gauw was vergeten) zich ontwikkelde tot een van de hoofd-karakters van het boek.

Een van de weinige boeken die 5 sterren krijgt van mij. We zullen zien of dat in [b:Zilverdoorn|16017055|Zilverdoorn|Raymond E. Feist|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453032853s/16017055.jpg|144096] nog zo blijft.
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
This book was enjoyable enough for me to finish it but I'm wary of continuing the series. There was too much tell and not enough show to my taste and I never could relate much to the characters however likable they were. To top it all, the ending was a bit too the-nice-people-got-what-they-wanted and the-villains-have-been-punished. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
The Magician is an epic fantasy novel about the lives of Pug and those around him, their victories, their defeats, their friendships, oh... and there is magic.

The Bad Stuff: If I said I had just read a book with wizards, dwarves, elves, goblins and a mad king, what would you think of? Well, The Magician is not the title that most people would think of. There are a few similarities to another well read epic fantasy in this book, some over explaining and repetition, with a fair bit of telling in the writing style.

The good stuff: While The Magician bears some similarities to another Tolkien's work, it is an epic tale in its own right. Feist has put an original spin on a plot that has been used before and has some well rounded characters. His world building is done well, creating different races and cultures in worlds far apart. The Magician has everything a great fantasy epic should have: magic, magical weapons and armour, dragons, elves, dwarves and more.

In my opinion, this is a great fantasy novel and is a much loved classic that deserves a space on the shelf of any true fantasy fan. This one gets 4 out of 5 golden bookmarks from me. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
I love the book, but was annoyed with the narrator.

While his normal in-character narrating voice is just fine (the kind of voice I associate with big, bearded, pipe-smoking old wizards), any time he tried to act out some strong emotion it sounded... constipated. And it's very much not fun listening to a young lady sobbing in the voice of a constipated middle-aged man.

And then there's all changing voices for minor characters (sometimes even in the middle of a sentence).

So yeah, not really in love with the narrator, but the books is still great fun, in writing and in audio :) ( )
  NannyOgg13 | May 26, 2018 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gatti, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guarnieri, AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heufkens, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A boy's will is the wind's will.
And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts.
—Longfellow, My Lost Youth

We were, fair queen,
Two lads that thought there was no more behind
But such a day to-morrow as to-day,
And to be boy eternal.
-SHAKESPEARE,
The Winter's Tale,
Act 1, Scene 2
Dit boek is opgedragen aan de herinnering aan mijn vader Felix E. Feist, in alle opzichten een magiër.

This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This work contains both "Magician: Apprentice" and "Magician: Master".
The original UK editions in one volume (this work) were split into two volumes for the US market.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,643,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible