Dragonwings (Turtleback School & Library…

Dragonwings (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) (Golden Mountain… (original 1975; edition 2001)

by Laurence Yep (Author)

1,772236,853 (3.56)1 / 15
In the early twentieth century a young Chinese boy joins his father in San Francisco and helps him realize his dream of making a flying machine.
Member:Fusionbk
Title:Dragonwings (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) (Golden Mountain Chronicles)
Authors:Laurence Yep (Author)
Info:Turtleback Books (2001), Edition: 25th Bound for Schools & Libraries ed., 336 pages

Dragonwings by Laurence Yep (1975)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Excellent story carries you. Early 1900's, boy from China. Through his eyes we see America differently.
[read 2001-18 yr ago] ( )
  juniperSun | Jan 18, 2019 |
Started out slow but I enjoyed it. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
I read this as an example of historical fiction, I think it's important for children's books to broach subjects that aren't too likely to come up in their other classes, and the experiences of chinese immigrants during this time period is certainly one of them. It's also an excellent book about a boy's relationship to his father, who is himself controversial in the eyes of his community and how he sees himself in relation to this father. It's a very powerful story full of the kinds of social realities that historical fiction is so talented for exploring.
  The-Magic-Sword | Apr 22, 2018 |
Ch'ien, the first hexagram of the Book of Changes "The dragon takes wing through the sky. Superior people bestir themselves to action."
To my mother and father, to whom I owe a debt othat would last through several lives
Ever since I can remember, I had wanted to know about the Land of the Golden Mountain, but my mother had never wanted to talk about it.

Teens (grades 6+)
YE 65.3
1975

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,667,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible