Johnny One-Eye: A Tale of the American…

Johnny One-Eye: A Tale of the American Revolution

by Jerome Charyn

Recently I've been in a historical fiction binge, that is why when I received the email to participate in the blog tour of Johnny One-Eye I sign up immediately. I should preface this review with a confession, I am not familiar with N. American history beyond two courses I took while doing my bachelor's degree (long story short I only live in the US now when I go to university), so to me this was a novel concept to explore when it comes to historical fiction. This is why unless I recognized the name directly from my US History course, I did not know which were fictional characters or not until the author's note at the end of the book.

Unlike say 99.99% of the historical fiction I've read this book is centered around a male protagonist. Scandalous! But incredibly refreshing. The narrator is John Stocking himself, who happens to lose an eye in a battle and thus is known as Johnny One- Eye. Johnny's voice is spot on for a man of the era, and because he is somewhat educated and very aware of what is happening around him we get very interesting details of the revolution. There are hints of him being George Washington's (I recognize that name!) bastard son, Johnny has also interactions with Alexander Hamilton (another name i recognize from my US History course!). Johnny is often pining for Clara, who happens to be the "most coveted harlot" at the whorehouse where Johnny grew up. When it comes to Clara I'm a bit unsure what to say, I did not feel like she was a well developed character. We are told who Clara is as opposed to shown who she is. As a reader you mostly know Clara through Johnny's memories, or biased view of her. Clara's name and Johnny's infatuation with her comes up in some very funny situations, as a form of comedic relief when Johnny is sad or being tortured. I have to say I did chuckle a couple of times.Johnny becomes a "double spy" for the British through "Black Dick" Howe, and I have to say, in the beginning I was confused as to where did Johnny's loyalty lay with. This was not made any easier by the author use of transition, sometimes we were in the past in a memory, sometimes we were not.

I feel this was a light read with a splash of history, and certainly made me want to explore more historical fiction set in the US. The book comes with a picture of an old map of New York which I loved looking at the end of every other chapter. I'd like to comment on Charyn's writing style, while this is a historical fiction novel, I can safely say it does not read like a history college textbook. To me this is very important when reading historical fiction because after all I am reading this book in my spare time and as a hobby. ( )
  BookPurring | May 29, 2011 |
A book unlike any I have read. It is certainly a new and unique take on the Revolutionary War. I appreciate it for its literary creativity but I would not recommend it as a must-read. ( )
  northandsouth | Feb 1, 2009 |
The best thing about Jerome Charyn’s fictional “tale of the American Revolution” are the portraits of some of those figures which we have been reading about, in one form or another, since….well, since we learned to read. This George Washington, this Alexander Hamilton, and this Benedict Arnold are familiar to us, without question. But here they’ve stepped out of the history books and taken up temporary residence in our living rooms. The alabaster has become flesh. The granite has softened.

These founding fathers have become human - as they should have in a good historical novel. So Charyn has it half right. The novel never scales the heights beyond that, though. It’s trajectory is flat, though at a high enough level to keep the readers interest. Just on the next page we expect a little more. But the Washingtons and Hamiltons never connect with the John Stocking’s, with the Clara’s, with the Gert’s of the novel - never connect with the fictional creations that have helped bring them to life for the reader.

So in a way, Charyn’s novel is only half successful. Benedict Arnold does his job, but Johnny One-Eye never quite does his. ( )
  ChazzW | Apr 9, 2008 |
This book is for Bob Weil.

And for the late Jim Shenton,
who loved American history
more than anyone I know.
It was the very mask of war.

"A rollicking tale."—Stacy Schiff, New York Times Book Review, Editors' Choice

Johnny One-Eye is bringing about the rediscovery of one of the most "singular and remarkable [careers] in American literature" (Jonathan Yardley, Washington Post Book World). In this picaresque tour de force that reanimates Revolutionary Manhattan through the story of double agent John Stocking, the bastard son of a whorehouse madam and possibly George Washington, Jerome Charyn has given us one of the most memorable historical novels in years. As Johnny seeks to unlock the mystery of his birth and grapples with his allegiances, he falls in love with Clara, a gorgeous, green-eyed octoroon, the most coveted harlot of Gertrude's house. The wild parade of characters he encounters includes Benedict Arnold, the Howe brothers, "Sir Billy" and "Black Dick," and a manipulative Alexander Hamilton.

Not since John Barth's The Sotweed Factor and Gore Vidal's Burr has a novel so dramatically re-created America's historical beginnings. Reading group guide included.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:51 -0400)

This comic masterpiece reimagines the American Revolution with a one-eyed spy, a heroic whorehouse madam, and a cunning George Washington.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393064972, 0393333957

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,292,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible