Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier

Jamaica Inn (original 1936; edition 2008)

by Daphne Du Maurier

2,271572,815 (3.74)1 / 272
Member:Winterborne
Title:Jamaica Inn
Authors:Daphne Du Maurier
Info:London, Virago, 2008

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (1936)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (katie4098)
    Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another story involving a complex central character worth a good read.
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another story involving themes of smuggling and alcoholism.
    Burnt Mountain by Anne Rivers Siddons (silva_44)
    silva_44: Although the plot isn't very similar, Burnt Mountain reminds me of Jamaica Inn because of the peculiar psychotic actions of characters in each.
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (AdonisGuilfoyle)
    AdonisGuilfoyle: Mary Yellan reminded me very much of Gaskell's heroine Margaret Hale: both are young, outspoken, and are strong enough to cope with life's hardships and sorrows. And there is a comparison of 'north' and 'south' Cornwall in Du Maurier's novel, too!… (more)

English (52)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (57)
A bit "Treasure Island", a bit gothic, a young but strong heroine with a dark and dangerous love interest but altogether exciting and entertaining. A really good holiday read that I found hard to put down. ( )
  thejohnsmith | Aug 5, 2015 |
3.5/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

We open the story with Mary Yellan making a journey in dreary weather to the Jamaica Inn, which just the name of incites fear in the surrounding area. Mary would have never chosen this life for herself but it was her mother's dying wish that Mary move off the farm and in with her Aunt Patience. Upon arriving at her new residence she notices her Aunt is not as happy and beautiful as she remembered. Rather Aunt Patience is ragged and cowers in fear of her husband, Joss Merlyn. What exactly is Aunt Patience afraid of and what are the secrets behind the mysterious Jamaica Inn.

I quite enjoyed the book though at times it seemed terribly slow. The characters all had distinct personalities which Du Maurier did a wonderful job of displaying throughout the book. While not exactly a scary story it holds your interest as you try to figure out just what is going on at the inn. My only complaints were the slowness in parts of the book and that the twist wasn't exactly surprising. Though there being a surprise isn't a requirement when a book is written as well as this was. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
A fun book for adults or teens. Although I never got to the actual Inn, I read the book while hiking through Cornwall on the Coast Path. Twas easy to see how smuggling became so big w/ a coast like the Cornish coast! Read April 2015 ( )
  untraveller | May 29, 2015 |
On a bitter November evening, young Mary Yellen journeys to the windswept Cornish coast to stay at the foreboding Jamaica Inn. She arrives at her aunt and uncle's inn to fulfill her mother's dying wish. Although the coachman tries to warn her to stay away from the ramshackled, ruined place, Mary chooses to stay and honor her late mother's final request.

So, Mary will join her relatives - her frightened Aunt Patience and her imposing Uncle Joss Merlyn - and do her best to ignore the various rumors swirling about the place. With the coachman's dire warning still echoing in her ears, Mary will witness her Aunt Patience cowering in fear before her dour Uncle Joss. Terrified by the inn's looming shadow and its brooding darkness, Mary gradually finds herself becoming ensnared in the various devious schemes being enacted behind its crumbling walls - and tempted to love a man she dares not trust.

I really enjoyed reading this book very much; in my opinion, the story was certainly very good and I wanted to find out what would happen next. Although, I will say that I found the story just the slightest bit overly theatrical for me. I absolutely love Daphne du Maurier's writing style; she certainly knew how to create a frightening and suspenseful atmosphere.

I would always literally get lost in Ms. Du Maurier's books every time I read one. However, Jamaica Inn was a slightly different reading experience for me; I never entirely lost myself along the wild Cornish moors while I read this particular book. In my opinion, while this was still a very good story, I don't think it was Daphne du Maurier's best work. Although, I would still give Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier an A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Apr 15, 2015 |
Mary Yellan's mother dies. Her final request was that Mary seek shelter with her Aunt Patience. Mary soon discovers that Jamaica Inn is not respectable and that her aunt is putting up with a despicable husband who is both an alcoholic and a smuggler. While wandering on the moors, Mary encounters an albino clergyman. She finds herself falling in love with her uncle's horse-thieving brother. The characters are well drawn. The novel is dark. It's far from my favorite DuMaurier, but it was nice to revisit this book I'd read about 35 to 40 years ago. ( )
  thornton37814 | Apr 2, 2015 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunant, SarahIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jamaica Inn stands today, hospitable and kindly, a temperance house on the twenty-mile road between Bodmin and Launceston.

In the following story of adventure I have pictured it as it might have been over a hundred and twenty years ago; and although existing place names figure in the pages, the characters and events described are entirely imaginary.

Daphne du Maurier
Bodinnick-by-Fowey
October 1935
It was a cold grey day in late November.
Jamaica Inn opens with echoes of Dracula: a carriage rattling through the desolate landscape and wild weather to a place where even the locals don't go, so ferocious is its reputation. (Introduction)

VIRAGO EDITION:
Her mother's dying request takes Mary Yellan on a sad journey across the bleak moorland of Cornwall to reach Jamaica Inn, the home of her Aunt Patience. With the coachman's warning echoing in her memory, Mary arrives at a dismal place to find Patience a changed woman, cowering from her overbearing husband, Joss Merlyn.

Affected by the Inn's brooding power, Mary is thwarted in her attention to reform her aunt, and unwillingly drawn into the dark deeds of Joss and his accomplices. And, as she struggles with events beyond her control, Mary is further thrown by her feelings for a man she dare not trust...
A huge success on first publication, Jamaica Inn is a dark and intriguing gothic tale that will remind readers of two other great classics, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380725398, Mass Market Paperback)

Jamaica Inn is a true classic. After the death of her mother, Mary Yellan travels to Jamaica Inn on the wild British moors to live with her Aunt Patience. The coachman warns her of the strange happenings there, but Mary is committed to remain at Jamaica Inn. Suddenly, her life is in the hands of strangers: her uncle, Joss Merlyn, whose crude ways repel her; Aunt Patience, who seems mentally unstable and perpetually frightened; and the enigmatic Francis Davey. But most importantly, Mary meets Jem Merlyn, Joss's younger brother, whose kisses make her heart race. Caught up in the danger at this inn of evil repute, Mary must survive murder, mystery, storms, and smugglers before she can build a life with Jem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

The inn is derelict, and no decent folks will come to it, speaking of it in fearful whispers. When Mary Yellan joins her aunt, married to the owner, she soon finds she has but two friends on the wild moors--the mysterious parson and an insolent, likeable horsethief.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,006,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible