Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

Seven Pillars of Wisdom (original 1926; edition 1935)

by T. E. Lawrence

Member:kdweber
Title:Seven Pillars of Wisdom
Authors:T. E. Lawrence (Author)
Info:Jonathon Cape of London (1935), Hardcover, 672 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:first edition, biography, war, Arab, history

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence (1926)

Lawrence of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence by Jeremy Wilson (KayCliff)
    Lawrence: The Uncrowned King of Arabia by Michael Asher (amerynth)
    Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918 by James Barr (arethusarose)
    arethusarose: covers the politics and policies that led to Lawrence's activity, and work done by others in more detail than I have seen in other books. The author appears to have examined the territory covered in 1916-1918 as it is today
    Eden to Armageddon: World War I in the Middle East by Roger Ford (Artymedon)
    More Great Railway Journeys by Benedict Allen (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Chapt 1 for more on Hejaz - Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph, T E Lawrence
    1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West by Roger Crowley (John_Vaughan)
    T.E.Lawrence: An Arab view by Suleiman Mousa (Sylak)
    Sylak: Dispelling the myths and digging out the truth behind the Arab Revolt.

English (38)  Dutch (3)  All languages (41)
“I loved you, so I drew these tides of
Men into my hands
And wrote my will across the
Sky and stars
To earn you freedom, the seven
Pillared worthy house,
That your eyes might be
Shining for me
When we came

Death seemed my servant on the
Road, 'til we were near
And saw you waiting:
When you smiled and in sorrowful
Envy he outran me
And took you apart:
Into his quietness

Love, the way-weary, groped to your body,
Our brief wage
Ours for the moment
Before Earth's soft hand explored your shape
And the blind
Worms grew fat upon
Your substance

Men prayed me that I set our work,
The inviolate house,
As a memory of you
But for fit monument I shattered it,
Unfinished: and now
The little things creep out to patch
Themselves hovels
In the marred shadow
Of your gift.”

This book is the Odyssey of the desert war in world war one. Lawrence of Arabia tells the story of his adventures in his own style and view. Having recently read Lawrence in Arabia (by Scott Anderson) I found some of this dull feeling I had just read this same info.

However, one of the things Anderson did not capture well in his analysis of Lawrence is his education. Lawrence was not merely an Oxford grad, but a scholar. His word choice and usage shows a high degree of learning and some of phrase turns are excellent. For instance: "The staff knew so much more of war than I did that they refused to learn from me of the strange conditions in which the Arab irregulars had to act; and I could not be bothered to set up a kindergarten of the imagination for their benefit."

Some self-reflection: "I quickly outgrew ideas. So I distrusted experts, who were often intelligences confined within high walls, knowing indeed every paving-stone of their prison courts: while I might know from what quarry the stones were hewn and what wages the mason earned. I gainsayed them out of carelessness, for I had found materials always apt to serve a purpose, and Will a sure guide to some one of the many roads leading from purpose to achievement."

While these passages jumped out at me they by no means form the way the whole book reads as he relates his history with the Arabs and the battles of minds, cultures, and war that he helped guide. I wished that he had written about his efforts after the war to divide the Middle East differently but he ends his tale near the end of the desert war and doesn't talk much of his life before the war either. A good read but not one to read to soon after another book about Lawrence's life.

P.S. The Folio Society printing of this book is very beautiful and includes the parts later redacted or added by Lawrence.
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
This story was written in Paris, about the Diary of Lawrence of Arabia in terms of places and political that attitudes him. ( )
  jamila1 | Jan 1, 2015 |
Review #1 — Seven Pillars of Wisdom, The Complete 1922 "Oxford" Text
Lawrence of Arabia's personal account of how he successfully led an Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire. Winston Churchill called this one of the “greatest books ever written in the English language.”

The 'Oxford' text privately published first in 1922 is a third longer than the 1926 fine-press abridged volume issued to subscribers. After his death, the subscribers' abridgement was published and its success was so huge that, despite pleas from critics and historians, no one would risk printing the fuller version.

Edited by Jeremy Wilson, the 'Oxford' text was first published by Castle Hill Press in 1997 in an edition of 752 three-volume sets. A second revised edition appeared in 2003 with an award-winning index. A trade edition was published by J. and N. Wilson in 2004.

This 2-volume paperback edition, based on the 2003 text with amendments includes two loosely-inserted colour maps not available in the second printing. - IRONJAW'S BOOK REVIEW, Review #1. December 15th 2014. ( )
  ironjaw | Dec 18, 2014 |
The book in its depth, scope and subject matter reminds me of A Bright and Shining Lie. As with that book, it suffers from an overload of details that are distracting to someone unfamiliar with the events. I'm sure that to so one more intimately familiar with the historical events of the time the book would be a fascinating and informative read. I though came away with the most from the chapters that stuck with broader historical and political commentary, rather than the specific names of who slept in what tent when, who owned which camel (and said camel's gender) and what ulitmately killed the camel (mange, dehydration, neglect, etc). ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 2, 2014 |
I have listened to a few hours of selections read out loud on the Naxos label.

I admire T.E. Lawrence aka Lawrence of Arabia. Lawrence is a very good writer and communicates well what the fuss was about in Arabia during World War I. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
That is what the book is about, and it could only be reviewed authoritatively by a staff officer who knows the East. That is what the book is about, and Moby Dick was about catching a whale. For round this tent-pole of a military chronicle T.E. has hung an unexampled fabric of portraits, descriptions, philosophies, emotions, adventures, dreams.... He has also contributed to sociology, in recording what is probably the last of the picturesque wars. Camels, pennants, the blowing up of little railway trains...
added by KayCliff | editAbinger Harvest, E Forster (Oct 18, 2014)

The author himself had described Seven Pillars in these terms, in a letter to Charlotte Shaw in 1923:
... it's more a storehouse than a book - has no unity, is too discursive, dispersed, heterogeneous. I've shot into it, as a builder into his yard, all the odds and ends of ideas which came to me during those years ... (Lawrence, 2000: 33)
And he proved himself no indexer's friend in the matter of consistency. He wrote:
Arabic names won't go into English, exactly ... There are some 'scientific systems' of transliteration... I spell my names anyhow, to show what rot the systems are. (Lawrence, 1935: 19)
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 3, 2009)

T. E. Lawrenceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gatrell, AnthonyMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kennington, EricIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, A. W.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To S.A.

I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands and wrote my will across the sky in stars
To earn you Freedom, the seven pillared worthy house, that your eyes might be shining for me
        When we came.
Death seemed my servant on the road, till we were near and saw you waiting:
When you smiled, and in sorrowful envy he outran me and took you apart:
        Into his quietness.
Love, the way-weary, groped to your body, our brief wage ours for the moment
Before earth's soft hand explored your shape, and the blind worms grew fat upon
        Your substance.
Man prayed me that I set our work, the inviolate house, as a memory of you.
But for fit monument I shattered it, unfinished: and now
The little things creep out to patch themselves hovels in the marred shadow
        Of your gift.
Mr Geoffrey Dawson persuaded All Souls College to give me leisure, in 1919-20, to write about the Arab Revolt.

Author's note, Cranwell, 15 August 1926.
The seven pillars of wisdom are first mentioned in the Bible, in the Book of Proverbs (ix. I)

Preface by A. W. Lawrence.
The story which follows was first written out in Paris during the Peace Conference, from notes jotted daily on the march, strengthened by some reports sent to my chiefs in Cairo. Afterwards, in the autumn of 1919, this first draft and some of the notes were lost. It seemed to me historically needful to reproduce the tale, as perhaps no one but myself in Feisal’s army had thought of writing down at the time what we felt, what we hoped, what we tried. So it was built again with heavy repugnance in London in the winter of 1919–20 from memory and my surviving notes. The record of events was not dulled in me and perhaps few actual mistakes crept in—except in details of dates or numbers—but the outlines and significance of things had lost edge in the haze of new interests.

Introductory Chapter.
Some Englishmen, of whom Kitchener was chief, believed that a rebellion of Arabs against Turks would enable England, while fighting Germany, simultaneously to defeat her ally Turkey.

Introduction : Foundations of revolt.
Some of the evil of my tale may have been inherent in our circumstances

Chapter I.
Tallal had seen what we had seen. He gave one moan like a hurt animal; then rode to the upper ground and sat there a while on his mare, shivering and looking fixedly after the Turks. I moved near to speak to him, but Auda caught my rein and stayed me. Very slowly Tallal drew his head-cloth about his face; and then he seemed suddenly to take hold of himself, for he dashed his stirrups into the mare's flanks and galloped headlong, bending low and swaying in the saddle, right at the main body of the enemy.
Later I was sitting alone in my room, working and thinking out as firm a way as the turbulent memories of the day allowed, when the Muedhdhins began to send their call of last prayer through the moist night over the illuminations of the feasting city. One, with a ringing voice of special sweetness, cried into my window from a near mosque. I found myself involuntarily distinguishing his words: 'God alone is great: I testify there are no gods, but God: and Mohammed his Prophet. Come to prayer: come to security. God alone is great: there is no god--but God.'

At the close he dropped his voice two tones, almost to speaking level, and softly added: 'And He is very good to us this day, O people of Damascus.' The clamour hushed, as everyone seemed to obey the call to prayer on this their first night of perfect freedom. While my fancy, in the overwhelming pause, showed me my loneliness and lack of reason in their movement: since only for me, of all the hearers, was the event sorrowful and the phrase meaningless.

Lawrence, Thomas Edward (TEL): PRIVATE TROUBLES 42-4; 30th
birthday 678; self-analysis 678-85; private motives and ambition 812-13; diary and notebooks 658, 679 (diary quoted
816-20); Seven Pillars of Wisdom 4-5 (and diary 658. 679) [and
the illustrations cited]
Copy 1169 of a 1,225 limited edition of the 1922 text of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, by T.E. Lawrence. The text was edited from the manuscript in the Bodleian Library and T.E. Lawrence's annotated copy of the 1922 Oxford Times printing. The full text was first published in 1997 by Castle Hill Press in an edition of 752 three-volume sets. Copies 1-45 of this printing are bound in full goatskin, copies 46-225 are bound in quarter-goatskin. Copies 226-1225 are bound in cloth.

The 1922 text is a full 25% longer than the version known to readers since Lawrence's death in 1935.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385418957, Paperback)

This is the exciting and highly literate story of the real Lawrence of Arabia, as written by Lawrence himself, who helped unify Arab factions against the occupying Turkish army, circa World War I. Lawrence has a novelist's eye for detail, a poet's command of the language, an adventurer's heart, a soldier's great story, and his memory and intellect are at least as good as all those. Lawrence describes the famous guerrilla raids, and train bombings you know from the movie, but also tells of the Arab people and politics with great penetration. Moreover, he is witty, always aware of the ethical tightrope that the English walked in the Middle East and always willing to include himself in his own withering insight.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:23 -0400)

The classic account of the Arab tribes' guerrilla warfare against Turkish forces during World War II and of Lawrence's part in and reflections on that warfare.

Legacy Library: T. E. Lawrence

T. E. Lawrence has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See T. E. Lawrence's legacy profile.

See T. E. Lawrence's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,559,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible