The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger…

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1956)

by Roger Lancelyn Green

Initially, I wasn't too sure what to make of this. There's a lot of action going on, as everyone knows of Robin Hood, but the writing doesn't really have that sort of tone. And, because he collected the stories from the various places that they're found and put them essentially in order, to try to make a fairly chronological account come together to make a novel, some of it is a little repetetive and a little disjointed. But, I started to get a lot more into it more around halfway in, and found it more engaging. Plus I had no idea that the "real" Marion was so amazing!! All the movies stick her in the trite old damsel in distress role (ugh!), but as it turns out, she's every bit as badass as Robin, and probably even more clever. I was astonished, and thrilled! Also, Green put pieces from the old text/songs at the start of each "adventure," which I thought was interesting and clever.

This wasn't one of my top favorite reads, but I'm really glad that I picked it up, and I'd encourage others to do the same! ( )
1 vote PolymathicMonkey | Apr 29, 2013 |
Another battered and dog-eared book from my childhood, just as much a favourite as the King Arthur book by this author. Very accessible, easy for children to get into, and fun. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 22, 2011 |
I liked this edition because the author started out chapter with its corresponding lines from the ballads. ( )
  sailorfigment | Jan 25, 2011 |
This story is very exciting. But when I read ending of this book, I was sad.
I respect Robin Hood!! ( )
  katttsu | Jan 14, 2009 |
Welcome to Sherwood Forest, children.

Much as he did in his other books, Green has put together a version of the Robin Hood legend to make it a somewhat coherent or cohesive set of tales for the younger reader with some flow.

Definitely recommended.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2008/03/adventures-of-robin-hood-roger-lancelyn.ht... ( )
  bluetyson | Mar 3, 2008 |

Roger Lancelyn Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vivian, E. CharlesAuthormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gotlieb, JulesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holder, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
So little is left of the England that Robin Hood and his merry men knew that it is doubtful if any-one of to-day would recognize it if it were possible to go to sleep in our England and to wake up in his.

This is the classic story of social justice and outrageous cunning. Robin Hood is champion of the poor and oppressed by twelfth-century England against the cruel power of Prince John and the brutal Sheriff of Nottingham. He takes refuge with his Merrie Men in the vast Sherwood Forest, emerging time and again to outwit his enemies with daring and panache.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:44 -0400)

Recounts the life and adventures of Robin Hood, who, with his band of followers, lived as an outlaw in Sherwood Forest dedicated to fighting tyranny.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141329386, 0141334894

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible