The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger…

The Adventures of Robin Hood (original 1956; edition 1995)

by Roger Lancelyn Green

Member:AcademyOfBards
Title:The Adventures of Robin Hood
Authors:Roger Lancelyn Green
Info:Puffin (1995), Paperback, 294 pages

The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green (1956)

Recently added bybokeef2, franklymydear, michael.cox120, private library, Amberfire287, joe.basile.5

The Adventures of Robin Hood
Bryan O'Keeffe

This story was similar to all of the versions that I have read before. However I believe this version is one of the oldest I have read. Regardless I did enjoy this version of Robin Hood, this story is just a classic and is hard to not like. Robin Hood to me has always seem like a character that may have actually lived during the middle ages so whenever I read this story I think that Robin Hood was real and very believable. The old story of a man fighting this rich for the poor just stands the test of time to me. The plot is always my favorite part of Robin Hood. Every story has one version to the next. However this version was very simplified but worked very well. Robin Hood was still fighting the Sheriff of Nottingham and still caught the eye of King Richard himself. The illustrations of this version really caught my eye as well. They are done in a late 19th century style which I absolutely love. Only several colors in the illustrations and very bold colors. They enhance this story a lot and make the story feel like it was written long ago. The message is always the same, standing up against the big guy for what is right.
  bokeef2 | Nov 22, 2014 |
This book was a good version of the Robin Hood tale. I especially liked the occasional black and white illustrations added to the text since it broke up the long read. It allowed you to construct your own visualizations of the characters and setting, but brought you back on track for some clarification and extra details here and there. I also liked the way that he wrote Marian's character differently than most. In this version, Marian was a fighter, and didn't just fill the role of pretty girl needing to be rescued. The big idea of this book is not lawless-ness, but the need for righteousness! ( )
  jknuts1 | Oct 24, 2014 |
As some of the other reviews states this is a telling of Robin Hood based on old ballads etc.

What I remember most strong from reading it years ago is maid Marian, disguising herself as a forester and beating/almost beating Robin Hood in a quarterstaff fight, and threating to climb out of a window if her father imprisoners her to prevent her seeing robin hood. ( )
  SarahDowning | Oct 17, 2014 |

SarahDowning | Oct 17, 2014 |
I was always a big fan of Robin Hood. These were a bunch of short stories based on Robin's adventures. I guess it's the legend that surrounds him, and how he helped the poor. I rooted for him the whole way through. Worth it, if only for the legends. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |

Roger Lancelyn Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vivian, E. CharlesAuthormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gotlieb, JulesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holder, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
So little is left of the England that Robin Hood and his merry men knew that it is doubtful if any-one of to-day would recognize it if it were possible to go to sleep in our England and to wake up in his.

This is the classic story of social justice and outrageous cunning. Robin Hood is champion of the poor and oppressed by twelfth-century England against the cruel power of Prince John and the brutal Sheriff of Nottingham. He takes refuge with his Merrie Men in the vast Sherwood Forest, emerging time and again to outwit his enemies with daring and panache.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:44 -0400)

Recounts the life and adventures of Robin Hood, who, with his band of followers, lived as an outlaw in Sherwood Forest dedicated to fighting tyranny.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141329386, 0141334894

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,029,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible