Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist…

Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets (2008)

by Sudhir Venkatesh

Shakespeare Saved My Life: Ten Years in Solitary with the Bard by Laura Bates (Lorem)
    Lorem: Both deal with educated college-involved people who go into a misunderstood place and shed light on the raw beauty found there
    Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both authors have spent a long time with a community of the very poor and have produced sympathetic and very insightful books about how the "underclass" see, and manage their interactions with, the rest of society.
    Die Arbeitslosen von Marienthal by Marie Jahoda (jcbrunner)
    jcbrunner: Both Marie Jahoda and Sudhir Venkatesh went into the field to observe their subjects. Jahoda studied Austrian unemployed workers during the Great Depression, Venkatesh black kids in a Chicago ghetto, offering new perspectives into strange worlds.

@gang_leader +ryan_holiday ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book at the start, but by the end I found it to be quite repetitive. I heard the author on This American Life, and got the book, not realizing that he was also featured in Freakonomics until I started reading.

The author wrote this book about his experiences with the Black Kings gang of Chicago as he was conducting research for his dissertation. The life he described in the Robert Taylor projects of Chicago was pretty horrifying. I mean I knew it wasn't good, but there was just a lot that surprised me about the survival skills neccesary for the urban poor.

The inner workings of the gang were really interesting to learn about, I guess I never knew how organized gangs are. It was an interesting read about something I know very little about. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Like many other readers, I was first introduced to Sudhir Venkatesh in a chapter of Steven Leavitt's 2005 bestseller, Freakonomics. Then I sort of forgot about him until I saw this new book circulating at the library, and picked it up. While a graduate student in sociology at the University of Chicago, Venkatesh takes the term "field work" to a whole new level, essentially becoming an honorary member of the gang he sets out to study. When his initial goal of approaching the Chicago housing projects with an armful of formal surveys is met with laughter and derision by the residents, Venkatesh isn't deterred, but abandons that angle and instead begins hanging around the buildings, getting to know the residents as human beings and gaining an insider's look at the complex and mysterious details of gang management and the fascinating economics of life in the projects. While I found the book riveting and Venkatesh's experiences valuable, as a reader and social justice advocate I came away with feelings of hopelessness, as there is little reason to think that life will improve for many of the memorable characters, deserving and otherwise, the reader becomes acquainted with within the pages of the book. ( )
  ryner | Jun 27, 2015 |
I was surprised by how much a enjoyed reading this book. ( )
  Kimmyd76 | Feb 28, 2015 |
This is a remarkable book, and i am glad that I picked it up. To start with, I am amazed by his courage, and his gumption. In breaking the rules, I think that he earned a lot. He also learned a lot from the gang leaders he hung around with, though he does not explicitly acknowledge this.

The revelations of different aspects of their lives, as well as their abilities as business men is something that he brings out very well. He does not approve of their life, and this is something that he expresses. I am not sure if he fully appreciated or sympathised with the conditions that brought them to the gangster life.

In the end, he moves on, and they do not. There is a bit of sadness in this, and this comes through at the end. ( )
  RajivC | Apr 15, 2014 |
During my first weeks at the University of Chicago, in the fall of 1989, I had to attend a variety of orientation sessions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014311493X, Paperback)

A New York Times Bestseller
Foreword by Stephen J. Dubner, coauthor of

When first-year graduate student Sudhir Venkatesh walked into an abandoned building in one of Chicago’s most notorious housing projects, he hoped to find a few people willing to take a multiple-choice survey on urban poverty--and impress his professors with his boldness. He never imagined that as a result of this assignment he would befriend a gang leader named JT and spend the better part of a decade embedded inside the projects under JT’s protection. From a privileged position of unprecedented access, Venkatesh observed JT and the rest of his gang as they operated their crack-selling business, made peace with their neighbors, evaded the law, and rose up or fell within the ranks of the gang’s complex hierarchical structure. Examining the morally ambiguous, highly intricate, and often corrupt struggle to survive in an urban war zone, Gang Leader for a Day also tells the story of the complicated friendship that develops between Venkatesh and JT--two young and ambitious men a universe apart.

"Riveting." --The New York Times

"Compelling... dramatic... Venkatesh gives readers a window into a way of life that few Americans understand." --Newsweek

"An eye-opening account into an underserved city within the city." --Chicago Tribune

"The achievement of Gang Leader for a Day is to give the dry statistics a raw, beating heart." --The Boston Globe

"A rich portrait of the urban poor, drawn not from statistics but from viivd tales of their lives and his, and how they intertwined." --The Economist

"A sensative, sympathetic, unpatronizing portrayal of lives that are ususally ignored or lumped into ill-defined stereotype." --Finanical Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:13 -0400)

Recounts the story of a young sociologist whose infiltration of a Chicago drug gang was originally introduced in the work "Freakonomics," describing the author's idealism, his friendship with gang leader JT, and his witness to the organization's crack-selling trade.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible