The First Rumpole Omnibus by John Mortimer

The First Rumpole Omnibus (original 1983; edition 1983)

by John Mortimer

Member:InigoMontoya
Title:The First Rumpole Omnibus
Authors:John Mortimer
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1983), Paperback, 556 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Main, Short stories, Fiction

The First Rumpole Omnibus by John Mortimer (1983)

My family used to watch Rumpole TV and my mother and my wife boith liked him, To me, somehow, there was a little sardonic twist to some of the stories I did not always like.The simple fact is, that Rumpole is basically a professional failure and at times can be depressing. I should say, though that I got one of the books (not this one) signed by John Mortimer for my mother in a bookshop off Chancery Lane and he was very affable about it. ( )
  antiquary | Aug 21, 2015 |
I have a personal connection to this book, in a slightly about-the-houses sort of way. During the early 1970's I worked as an A.S.M. at Greenwich Theatre, London, and worked on the World Premiere of John Mortimer's play "A Voyage Round My Father." I actually got to meet Mortimer, as he used to 'sit in' during rehearsals, and would arrive some mornings with completely new scenes for the director to put in at very short notice. Later in the '70's Thames Television began broadcasting the "Rumpole" television series, with Leo MacKern in the title role. I very much enjoyed this series (it actually began life as a BBC "Play For Today." "A Voyage Round My Father" began life as a radio play, made it to the stage, was again adapted for television by Thames with Laurence Oliver as the central father character. Olivier came to see the play when I was at Greenwich. ) The stories have since been adapted for Radio, with Timothy West in the title role. ( )
1 vote Ezekiel99 | Sep 21, 2011 |
PR6025 .O7 F5 1983 (VJH)
1 vote | Farella | Mar 29, 2011 |
Rumpole of the Bailey: This is a book of six long short stories included in The First Rumpole Omnibus

Horace Rumpole, who was brilliantly played in the TV series by Leo McKern, is a defence Barrister at the Old Bailey in London. He is a wily old bird of 67 when he is introduced to us. He usually manages to outfox the prosecution. He loves to quote the Oxford Book of English Verse, from which he always manages to find an appropriate passage. He refers to his other half, Hilda, as "She Who Must Be Obeyed", as she rules the roost. He often tarries at the local wine bar for a glass of Chateau Fleet Street or Pommereys Plonk as he calls it, with his chambers cronies to delay his arrival home.

Horace Rumpole is a brilliant creation by an ex-barrister. The stories are a sheer delight to read.

The Trials of Rumpole

This is another collection of short stories from The First Rumpole Omnibus

Rumpole is not always victorious in defending his clients, usually due to circumstances beyond his control. In “Rumpole and the Course of True Love” Rumpole is defending a teacher who is accused of statutory rape.

The Judge in the case is his old friend and ex-colleague George Frobisher, who is now a circuit judge, or as Rumpole calls him a circus judge. Rumpole wants to cut a deal for his client whereby he pleads guilty for a conditional discharge. The prosecution is in favour of the deal. Hilda, She Who Must Be Obeyed, tells Rumpole that he will wrap George round his little finger and Rumpole agrees.

However, now that George has donned the Robes, power has gone to his head and he refuses to consider such a deal until he has heard the evidence.

Rumpole puts up a spirited defence because the girl in question is just one month short of the legal age limit and both initiated the alliance and consented to it.

In fact, her boyfriend who hates the teacher for trying to expel him from school, was the prime instigator of the girl writing romantic and inflammatory letters to the teacher which causes him to fall in love with her. It was only in a fit of anger with her boyfriend that she goes and sleeps with the teacher.
The boy sends the letters that the two had exchanged to the headmaster leading to the court case.

Rumpole discovers all this, exposes the entrapment in court but in spite of this Judge George Frobisher sentences his client to three years in prison.

While Rumpole is angry at the verdict and believes his client should have remained free the Judge took the view that he had abused his position as a teacher and that temptation is one thing but to give into it is another. ( )
  TheTortoise | Sep 6, 2008 |

The irrepressible English barrister, Horace Rumpole, seeks to uncover the truth behind a variety of unusual cases of crime.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,227,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible