The First Rumpole Omnibus by John Mortimer

The First Rumpole Omnibus (original 1983; edition 1983)

by John Mortimer

Title:The First Rumpole Omnibus
Authors:John Mortimer
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1983), Paperback, 556 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Main, Short stories, Fiction

The First Rumpole Omnibus by John Mortimer (1983)

My family used to watch Rumpole TV and my mother and my wife boith liked him, To me, somehow, there was a little sardonic twist to some of the stories I did not always like.The simple fact is, that Rumpole is basically a professional failure and at times can be depressing. I should say, though that I got one of the books (not this one) signed by John Mortimer for my mother in a bookshop off Chancery Lane and he was very affable about it. ( )
  antiquary | Aug 21, 2015 |
I have a personal connection to this book, in a slightly about-the-houses sort of way. During the early 1970's I worked as an A.S.M. at Greenwich Theatre, London, and worked on the World Premiere of John Mortimer's play "A Voyage Round My Father." I actually got to meet Mortimer, as he used to 'sit in' during rehearsals, and would arrive some mornings with completely new scenes for the director to put in at very short notice. Later in the '70's Thames Television began broadcasting the "Rumpole" television series, with Leo MacKern in the title role. I very much enjoyed this series (it actually began life as a BBC "Play For Today." "A Voyage Round My Father" began life as a radio play, made it to the stage, was again adapted for television by Thames with Laurence Oliver as the central father character. Olivier came to see the play when I was at Greenwich. ) The stories have since been adapted for Radio, with Timothy West in the title role. ( )
1 vote Ezekiel99 | Sep 21, 2011 |
PR6025 .O7 F5 1983 (VJH)
1 vote | Farella | Mar 29, 2011 |

The irrepressible English barrister, Horace Rumpole, seeks to uncover the truth behind a variety of unusual cases of crime.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,850,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible