The Sanctuary Sparrow by Ellis Peters

The Sanctuary Sparrow (1983)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (7)

English (12)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (14)
Enjoyable but not particularly complex mystery but well set in the Middle Ages. Sometimes she does write a 20th century mystery set in the 12th century but I think she managed this one very well, with a better sense of the times and mores. We'll see how the remainig Peters go.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
ugh, so noony. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
Six-word review:

Monastic sleuth sees what escapes others. ( )
  Meredy | Sep 4, 2013 |
Another VERY good one in this excellent cozy mysteries series set in Medieval England, in Shrewsbury near the border to Wales. My next one will be Monk's Hood. It feels repetitive to write another review, please see instead these two reviews:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/447895 for "The Leper of Saint Giles" and
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/448561521 for St. Peter's Fair

I highly recommend the series. They do NOT have to be read in order, except 6 and 10 have to be read before 20, say my friends. The first one is not one of the best, so beware. Don't be put off if you insist on starting there. You get delightful writing and a clear mystery that is fun to follow and filled with action. The monks are great characters, each with their own particular idiosyncrasies. They become real people because in all the books their character doesn't change; so the more you read, the more you enjoy going back to meet them again. Some are nicer than others, so don't think this is totally unrealistic. These characters are more than nice versus bad, they are unique individuals: one LOVES anything to do with music, another has a good heart but always breaks things and makes messes, and then of course there is Brother Cadfael (pronounced Cad-file). He is Welsh, worldly, has fought in wars, been to the Holy Lands and now has returned and fills out his monastical duties working in the Abby's herbarium and solving crimes. Oh, I forgot. I was going to keep this very short.

My advice, don't start with book one. Start with my favorite so far, "The Leper of St. Giles". "The Sanctuary Sparrow" is almost as good but the mystery was a teeny bit harder to follow. As usual, all the threads tie up nicely. As usual, Brother Cadfael explains how he thinks for us, the Deputy Sheriff, Hugh Beringar, and the Abbot. As usual, the writing is NOT salacious, but lovely. As usual the crime gets solved and each get their fair due, in one way or another. You recognize a lovely constancy to how the stories unfold and are resolved. Lovely series. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut, could I?!

The narration of the audiobook by Vanessa Benjamin was absolutely wonderful. No complaints whatsoever.

Completed Jan 22, 2013 ( )
2 vote chrissie3 | Apr 14, 2013 |
When the father of the bridegroom is assaulted and robbed during the wedding festivities, suspicion is cast on the young minstrel who provided the entertainment at the wedding banquet. He reaches the monastery just ahead of his pursuers and is granted 40 days of sanctuary. That's plenty of time for Cadfael and sheriff's deputy Hugh Beringar to get to the truth of the matter. There are plenty of other suspects, including the nosy neighbor and even the bridegroom himself.

I always learn a lot about life in medieval England from the Cadfael books. This one focuses on domestic life, and the management of a middle class household. I even learned a new word. The young man who found sanctuary at the monastery was a jongleur. Ellis Peters excels in all areas of mystery writing – plot, characters, and setting. Her books have become “go-to” reads for me when I want to escape with a good book. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Apr 17, 2011 |

Ooide, KenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It began, as the greatest of storms do begin, as a mere tremor in the air, a thread of sound so distant and faint, yet so ominous, that the ear that was sharp enough to catch it instantly pricked and shut out present sounds to strain after it again, and interpret the warning.

A young man pursued by a lynching mob seeks sanctuary at the Benedictine monastery in Shrewsbury. He is accused of robbery and murder, but Cadfael senses his innocence and sets out to prove it.

In the Shrewsbury spring of 1140 the midnight matins at the Benedictine abbey reverberate with an unholy sound, a hunt in full cry. Pursued by a drunken mod, the quarry is running for its life. When the creature bursts into the nave to claim sanctuary, Brother Cadfael finds himself fighting off armed townsmen to save a young man.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible