Love Story by Erich Segal

Love Story (1970)

by Erich Segal

Series: Oliver Barrett (1)

English (41)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (46)
Erich Segal's "Love Story" is a short novel. Segal writes in a clear and concise manner. The opening is engaging, "What do you say about a 25 year old girl who died?" And then on he describes her with loving words and flashback to how he first met Jenny. The story is well-written and it progresses quickly but I am not emotionally engaged or moved. I did not cry when Jenny died. I saw the movie version made circa 1979, and I watched the whole movie but I was not moved emotionally. Maybe the story is told by a man, there is an emotional element that is missing for me. I do not think "love means never having to say you're sorry." If you done me wrong, please apologize profusely! ( )
  majestic131 | Feb 26, 2018 |
Loved this story ... Also loved the movie ... This is a favorite of mine ... and always will be! ( )
  KPhotoWrtr2 | Sep 12, 2017 |
So short but so packed. ( )
  TanyaTomato | Aug 21, 2017 |
“Love Story” by Erich Segal
Review written by Diana Iozzia

God, this was a lovely story that I had the fortune of reading a few summers back. It was a beautiful quick read about a new romance, in which one characters has been diagnosed with cancer. The story follows Oliver Barrett and Jenny Cavilleri as they meet each other in college, and begin their love.

I believe that all young lovers can relate to the passion and sweet angelic feeling of brand new love. Oliver is a hunky athlete with a real beating heart underneath. Jenny is a sarcastic Daddy’s girl who likes to use her smart mouth.

I would recommend this for anyone who reads fiction and prose about cancer and romance. Doomed, star crossed love has always been a beloved fiction trope, especially with the surge of the Fault in Our Stars book by John Green and A Walk to Remember” by John Green. Well, this was the original cancer love book that would tear your heart out. I recommend this over the movie, although the movie was classic and just as enjoyable. ( )
  dianaiozzia | Apr 16, 2017 |
Quintessential 70's college kids book -- reminded me of words and attitudes I hadn't thought of in a long time. And although we know it ends sad, it is written in such a voice that it is very bearable and is a feel good book. Read this book -- or re-read it! ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |

Segal, ErichAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hernández, RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sylvia Herscher and John Flaxman
...namque...solebatis
Meas ess aliquid putare nugas.
What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died?
"Love means never having to say that you're sorry" Jenny
"What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked.
"I wouldn't go for coffee with you," she answered.
"Listen—I wouldn't ask you."
"That, "she replied "is what makes you stupid."
"He had then warned his daughter not to violate the Eleventh Commandment.
"Which one is that?" I asked her.
"Do not bullshit thy father," she said."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380017601, Mass Market Paperback)

Oliver Barrett IV, a wealthy jock from a stuffy WASP family on his way to a Harvard degree and a career in law . . . Jenny Cavilleri, a sharp-tongued, working-class beauty studying music at Radcliffe . . .

Opposites in nearly every way, Oliver and Jenny are kindred spirits from vastly different worlds. Falling deeply and powerfully, their attraction to one another defies everything they have ever believed—as they share a passion far greater than anything they dreamed possible . . . and explore the wonder of a love that must end too soon.

One of the most adored novels of our time, this is the book that defined a generation—a story of uncompromising devotion, of life as it really is . . . and love that changes everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:57 -0400)

The story of the relationship between Harvard law student Oliver Barrett IV and Radcliffe music student Jenny Cavilleri. Explores how these apparent opposites fall in love and how their relationship tragically ends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,829,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible