Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance…

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Lynne Truss

Member:DevonShea5
Title:Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
Authors:Lynne Truss
Info:Gotham (2006), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:grammar

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss (2003)

English (290)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (294)
This book illustrates the importance of proper comma use by purposely writing sentences with improper comma use. The mistakes show how what is being read changes from the writers intent. The mistakes are funny and fun to decode.
1 vote ottmichaelt | Mar 12, 2019 |
Cute, but a little whimsy goes a long way when it comes to punctuation. I think it would make a better essay than a book. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
This is the first book I've finished for my 30 Book Challenge of 2015. It's nice, short, light reading, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't normally interested in the subject matter. I myself am a linguistics major and always got called a grammar nazi in high school, so this book was just calling my name.
The book covers the following topics:
*Apostrophes
*Commas
*Dashes
*Hyphens
*Semicolons and colons
*Exclamation points and question marks
*Parentheses and brackets
*Emoticons
The author, Lynne Truss, admits to being a stickler for punctuation, but her heart is in the right place. I see other reviewers complaining that punctuation is important, and that the author and people like her are just trying to "lord their intelligence over others." There is a bit of good-natured ribbing regarding particularly egregious gaffs in the beginning of the book, but it also covers the history of the usage and etymology of the most common English punctuation, which I thought was extremely interesting, as someone who is highly interested in language history, etymology, and just history in general. Just as well, Truss lampoons catty behavior from grammatical sticklers, for example in the passage on the usage of [sic]:
"However, there are distinctions within sic: it can signify two different things:
1. This isn't a mistake, actually; it just looks like one to the casual eye.
I am grateful to Mrs Bollock [sic] for the following examples.
2. Tee hee, what a dreadful error! But it would be dishonest of me to correct it!
"Please send a copy of The Time's [sic]," he wrote.
I agree that punctuation is something we should fight to save as the benefit we gain through understanding and readability greatly outweighs the time that would be saved by dropping it entirely - sorry, George Bernard Shaw.
All in all, this was a highly entertaining read for anyone who is a fan of the English language, especially those of you in my generation who were dubbed the grammar nazis of the age of the instant message. It's well written and a more casual reference counterpoint to Strunk and White's dry [b:Elements of Style|33514|The Elements of Style|William Strunk Jr.|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1393947922s/33514.jpg|35832].
  dicewitch | Jan 31, 2019 |
Well this was the perfect “geek-read” for me. My writing may not always be correctly punctuated, but I do try to adhere to the general rules of grammar and punctuation. There were more than a few moments when I felt Truss was channeling the good Sisters at Ursuline Academy who first tried to drum those rules into my head.

Truss writes with a delightfully irreverent style, and yet still conveys the seriousness of her purpose. Clearly there is a difference between
A woman, without her man, is nothing.
And
A woman: without her, man is nothing.

It was a fast, enjoyable read, and I think I learned a few things. ( )
  BookConcierge | Dec 31, 2018 |
A very amusing read that can reconcile even the most grammar phobic writer with English as it is punctuated in England. ( )
  JohnJGaynard | Dec 31, 2018 |
The first punctuation mistake in “Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation” (Gotham; $17.50), by Lynne Truss, a British writer, appears in the dedication, where a nonrestrictive clause is not preceded by a comma. It is a wild ride downhill from there.

When [Truss] stops straining at lawks-a-mussy chirpiness and analyzes punctuation malpractice, she is often persuasive

The passion and fun of her arguments are wonderfully clear. Here is someone with abiding faith in the idea that ''proper punctuation is both the sign and the cause of clear thinking.''

Lynne Truss's book is (stay with this sentence, and remember the function of punctuation is to 'tango the reader into the pauses, inflections, continuities and connections that the spoken word would convey') as much an argument for clear thinking as it is a pedantic defence of obsolete conventions of written language.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Nigel Williams (Nov 9, 2003)

Truss, Lynneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Byrnes, PatIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCourt, FrankForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunn, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of the striking Bolshevik printers of St Petersburg who, in 1905, demanded to be paid the same rate for punctuation marks as for letters, and thereby directly precipitated the first Russian Revolution
Either this will ring bells for you, or it won't.
On the page, punctuation performs its grammatical function, but in the mind of the reader it does more than that. It tells the reader how to hum the tune.
But I can't help feeling that our punctuation system, which has served the written word with grace and ingenuity for centuries, must not be allowed to disappear without a fight.
A panda walks into a cafe.

He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.
"Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.
"I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."
The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.
"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
This is not the same work as:

1.  "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: Why, Commas Do Make a Difference!", which is the children's version of the book;

2. the various calendars inspired by this book;

3. "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: Cutting a Dash", which is a recording of a radio show associated with the book.
We all know the basics of punctuation. Or do we? A look at most neighborhood signage tells a different story. Through sloppy usage and low standards on the internet, in email, and now text messages, we have made proper punctuation an endangered species. In Eats, Shoots & Leaves, former editor Lynne Truss dares to say, in her delightfully urbane, witty, and very English way, that it is time to look at our commas and semicolons and see them as the wonderful and necessary things they are. This is a book for people who love punctuation and get upset when it is mishandled. From the invention of the question mark in the time of Charlemagne to George Orwell shunning the semicolon, this lively history makes a powerful case for the preservation of a system of printing conventions that is much too subtle to be mucked about with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142800821, Audio CD)

In 2002 Lynne Truss presented Cutting a Dash, a well-received BBC Radio 4 series about punctuation, which led to the writing of Eats, Shoots & Leaves. The book became a runaway success in the UK, hitting number one on the bestseller lists and prompting extraordinary headlines such as Grammar Book Tops Bestseller List (BBC News). With more than 500,000 copies of her book in print in her native England, Lynne Truss is ready to rally the troops on this side of the pond with her rousing cry, Sticklers unite!

Through sloppy usage and low standards on the Internet, in e-mail, and now text messages, we have made proper punctuation an endangered species. In Eats, Shoots & Leaves, former editor Lynne Truss dares to say, in her delightfully urbane, witty and very English way, that it is time to look at our commas and semicolons and see them as the wonderful and necessary things they are. If there are only pedants left who care, then so be it. This is a book for people who love punctuation and get upset when it is mishandled. From George Orwell shunning the semicolon, to New Yorker editor Harold Ross's epic arguments with James Thurber over commas, this lively history makes a powerful case for the preservation of a system of printing conventions that is much too subtle to be mucked about with.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:19 -0400)

Looks at the history of punctuation and the rules governing the use of apostrophes, commas, dashes, hyphens, colons, and semicolons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible