Kill Your Friends by John Niven

Kill Your Friends (edition 2009)

by John Niven

Info:Vintage (2009), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Fiction, British Fiction

Kill Your Friends by John Niven

Recently added byprivate library, Tonestaple, lmm161, Auggie, Txell.A, panzerwolf, TheRavenking, brightthings, Tannah

English (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
I got up early one Saturday and started reading this book on the recommendation of a friend. By 8pm I had finished it. I cannot remember when I last read a book in a day without eating - ok I'm exaggerating for effect. This is a wonderfully dark nasty engrossing book. I know you are supposed to hate the main character - Steven Stelfox, but it felt like a perverse privilege to be in his head. I probably need help for thinking that. I almost contemplated re-reading straight away. Need I say more. The day before I finished Madame Bovary - my head is a mess, but I feel I have grown in a contorted mutated way! ( )
  IanMPindar | Sep 2, 2013 |
I have a particular penchant for angry, misanthropic, sharp-tongued anti-heroes. Gregory House, Andy Sipowicz, Al Swearengen. There's something wonderfully cathartic about these characters, and Malcolm Tucker screaming "if I could, I'd punch you into paralysis!" barges his way onto that list with pizazz.

Steven Stelfox, the protagonist (because in no way could he ever be described a hero) of John Niven's Kill Your Friends takes angry misanthropy to the extreme. Set in the music industry at the arse end of Britpop, it features the most bigoted, hateful, obscene and depraved first person narrator since American Psycho's Patrick Bateman. Yet to call Stelfox a sexist or racist or any other kind of -ist misses the point. He doesn't discriminate - he hates everyone equally. His friends, his colleagues, his bosses, his lackeys. The artists he represents and those he only wishes he represented. Man or woman, black or white, talent or tosser - he doesn't have a kind word for anyone. He does have a foul and derogatory mouthful for everyone.

Read the full review at my blog. ( )
  rolhirst | Nov 5, 2009 |
Evil and hilarious, "Kill your friends", charts a year in the life of Steven Stelfox, a A&R guy. In case you were wondering what A&R execs did in the years of Britpop; they go on benders at record industry meetings, snuffle sacks of chang and give it to boilers up the gary. If you like to read books where you want to identify with the characters and learn something - don't bother with this. Recommended as a good, quick holiday read. ( )
  rhondagrantham | Aug 26, 2009 |
'The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side.' Hunter S. Thompson
To Helen
I'm smoking and looking out of my office window while I listen to some guy, some manager, crapping away on the speakerphone.

Set in 1997, this novel follows the loathsome and morally bankrupt 27-year-old Steven Stelfox as he curses, drinks and snorts his way through a cutthroat career in the recording industry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible