Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story by Mary…

Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story (1994)

by Mary Downing Hahn

Recently added bynwilgeroth, private library, -sunny-, roteach, lps3, 99074, ReadingRoom114, mccutchenh

This book is about a kid who gets the creeps at his aunt's house. He meets his double in the house. His double, though, looks like he came out of a grave. He wants to follow his double into a mysterious world. The world is full of dead ancestors. He might not come back from it though. He is on a path to life or death.
I liked this book, but didn't really get into it. It was quite good, but when I read it, I wasn't intrested. I like reading books of action and adventure, but this was a horror. I didn't know that the theme was different. I liked it though, just some parts I didn't. I actually prefer this to people who like mystery and horror. People who don't like should still read it. ( )
  MartinP.G3 | Mar 21, 2014 |
Time for andrew is about a boy named Andrew Joseph Tyler he goes by Drew. He is staying with his great aunt Blyth and his great uncle an old man in a wheelchair in a very old house for the summer while his parents were on an archeologist trip in France. Drew doesnt have a good time but he also sees his very first ghost Drew is sleeping one night when he hears footsteps coming down the attic stairs. The door opens and a young boy that looks just like Drew steps into his room. His name is Andrew and is dying of diphtheria. He convinces Drew into switching places with him so the modern day medicine can cure him. Once Andrew is all better, he doesn't want to go back to his time but Drew on the other had is devastated. Every night at 12:00 they have a marble competition in the attic. They keep playing one game per night until Drew wins. Then they can go back to their families the bad thing is the more they spend with each other's family, the more attracted they become to them and the less they become to their own. I like this book because the history of andrew and the past of drews family in the book is vey good and the fact of how andrew is a ghost who came to drew was very good and thats why I like this book. ( )
  TylerR.B3 | Sep 3, 2013 |
First of all, I am going to call this story a timeslip or time travel story rather than the stated "ghost story" in the title. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so I won't say why. It's unclear to me why the author chooses to make a case for ghosts, however. Readers who enjoy both ghost and timeslip genres understand that the definition of each often can and does include the other. But this issue aside, Time for Andrew is a great favorite of mine, an absorbing, fascinating story of two boys from different times who become the strangest of friends and who help one another through time and space. This is one of Hahn's best supernatural tales--possibly her very best.

From the back cover: Aunt Blythe's house gives Andrew the creeps--full of dark rooms, creaky noises, and the sound of a woman sobbing somewhere in the shadows. Then, in the middle of the night, Andrew awakens to find a boy standing in his room...a boy who is Andrew's double, except he looks as if he's come from the grave. He wants to follow him--to a place where he will meet the spirits of long dead ancestors...a place from which Andrew might never return. ( )
  Sasha_Doll | Sep 30, 2010 |
Time for Andrew is a wonderful story for those of all ages. Another hit for Mary Downing Hahn.
  BeatrixKiribani | Aug 17, 2010 |
This was a really good book. If you believe in the supernatural at all, it may make you think again about that someone in your life who suddenly started acting differently. ( )
  TammyGant | Apr 18, 2010 |
For all my friends in Missouri, especially Philip A. Sadler and Ophelia Gilbert, who have contributed so much to so many.

A big thanks from all the birds who migrate to Warrensburg every spring!
There it is. Dad slowed the car and pointed to a big brick house standing on a hill above the highway.

When he goes to spend the summer with his great-aunt in the family's old house, eleven-year-old Drew is drawn eighty years into the past to trade places with his great-great-uncle who is dying of diphtheria.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

When he goes to spend the summer with his great-aunt in the family's old house, eleven-year-old Drew is drawn eighty years into the past to trade places with his great-great-uncle who is dying of diptheria.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible