Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Full Circle by Michael Palin

Full Circle (2006)

by Michael Palin

English (7)  Dutch (2)  All languages (9)
I suppose you could describe MP as one of the modern day travellers, not afraid to go the different places and try different things. He's been on a number of "expeditions", and this was in the 1990s. I bought it, not only because I like MP, or becasue it was an easy read travel book, but because I had been to the Philippines, as he did on this trip, and wanted to see his interpretation of and experiences in the country
  corracreigh | Jan 30, 2016 |
the books are never as good as the shows because we need the visuals. what a long trip--a year! ( )
  mahallett | Mar 28, 2014 |
Yes, another Michael Palin book review (you may be happy to know that I have only two more of his books in my possession)! This is another one of his travel odysseys, this time completing a circle around the countries bordering the Pacific Ocean. From Alaska to Russia, China, Vietnam, Australia, Chile, Mexico and the USA (to name a few), Michael and his team become involved in daily life. This is different to the Around the World in Eighty Days concept, as aeroplanes may be used in transport, but there are still exotic boat and train journeys to impress us.

This is an accompaniment to the BBC TV series (which I haven’t finished watching)- but you can still read the book if you haven’t watched the TV series. Michael Palin describes views and events with clarity that will transport you to far reaches of the world.

In this book, he visits Australia (namely the Top End- ie. the Northern Territory is described) and it’s interesting to see an Englishman’s take on the remoteness. I find that area of Australia less remote (it’s only a couple of hundred kilometres between towns, not roadhouses/service stations- excellent) but I suppose it’s a lot different from England!

I found reading about Japan and Chile particularly interesting as I love Japan (and interesting to compare notes) and Chile because I’ve never even thought about visiting there!

Once again, this is a well written travelogue by Palin that invites wanderlust! ( )
  birdsam0610 | Nov 14, 2010 |
This is the longest of Palin's journeys and one of my favourites. An epic undertaking, Palin's humour and observational skills are on form throughout, even when things aren't going smoothly.

My personal favourite of his books and my favourite author in general. This is perhaps the biggest undertaking in terms of distance, covering the 18 countries of the Pacific Rim. Even though this is his third book, you get the feeling that he will never lose his sense of wonder and fascination with the world.
(January 2008) ( )
1 vote Tselja | Feb 25, 2010 |
Another great book and TV series from Michael Palin - this time around the Pacific Rim, including New Zealand. Loved the book, loved the TV programme - excellent! ( )
  adeej | Oct 17, 2009 |
For Helen, Tom, Will and Rachel, who let me do these things.
It's mid-morning in late August and I'm sitting on a rock in the middle of the Bering Strait.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312169604, Hardcover)

Michael Palin has certainly been busy since his days with Monty Python's Flying Circus. In Full Circle, Palin and a film crew go on a year-long adventure visiting 18 countries along the Pacific Rim. The film was eventually made into a 10-part PBS series, to which this book serves as a companion. Not for nothing is this part of the world called the "Ring of Fire"; volcanoes punctuate the landscape, and Palin even climbs one still smoking from a recent eruption. But the difficult landscape is only one challenge in this at times hair-raising, at times hilarious, always fascinating journey around the world's largest ocean. In the Philippines, Palin witnesses "psychic surgery": on the Urubamba River, Palin simultaneously clings for his life to a dugout canoe as he shoots the rapids and keeps up with England's progress in the World Cup via shortwave radio.

Whether he's visiting a Gulag camp in Siberia or chowing down on maggots in Mexico, Palin meets the challenges of rough travel with grace, courage, and more than a little humor. Full Circle is fun to read, includes many color photographs from Palin's adventures, and makes a terrific addition to the armchair traveler's bookshelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:08 -0400)

His most recent travels in dhows, canoes and mail-planes, on camels and junk steamers to Tierra del Fuego, N.Z. and Australia and other exotic locales.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible