Work in Progress: A Guide to Academic Writing and Revising (1989)

by Lisa Ede

- A brief, process-oriented rhetoric. Easily adaptable to many teaching styles and situations, Work in Progress provides students with techniques for working individually and collaboratively to navigate each stage of the writing process -- techniques that are soundly based on current composition theory.- A focus on understanding rhetorical situations. Work in Progress emphasizes making appropriate choices for different writing situations -- rhetorical sensitivity -- and provides numerous practical guidelines and models that will help students handle all kinds of academic writing.- Two new chapters on academic writing. Chapter Four covers the key topics of searching for and evaluating sources; summarizing, paraphrasing, and quoting; and documenting sources. It also includes a sample student research paper that demonstrates the integration of sources, citation formats, and visual elements. Chapter 15 gives a concrete example of the development of one student's essay from first draft to final draft to help other students learn how to strengthen the arguments in their own writing.… (more)

I first bought this book in middle school for a CTY course on writing. I'm not sure how much I read it then, although I've toted it around ever since. Perhaps that means that I thought it was a good book or perhaps I thought I was going to need as much writing assistance that I could get.

It's a very practical book, with all kinds of useful advice on getting yourself into the mood for writing, figuring out your writing strategy and reading your audience and the assignment correctly. The dated sections on Using a Word Processor are humorous, rather than ludicrous. I like Ede's approach to writing as a craft rather than a talent. ( )
  bexaplex | May 24, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible