Exodus by Leon Uris

Exodus (1958)

by Leon Uris

2,680None2,206 (4.07)1 / 157
(12) 20th century (24) adult (8) American literature (11) fiction (408) historical (48) historical fiction (206) historical novel (13) history (53) Holocaust (71) Israel (234) Jewish (39) Jewish fiction (10) Jewish History (11) Jews (33) Judaism (34) literature (28) Middle East (33) novel (70) own (12) Palestine (53) paperback (17) read (22) refugees (16) Roman (24) to-read (24) unread (17) war (16) WWII (53) Zionism (16)

Even though I was caught up in the book when I first read it, I had to leave it halfway through... and when I went back to it some years later, after learning more about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (not the American-Israeli fiction, but real history), I felt I couldn't read it, it was so nauseating. Now I work in the Middle East, and see the conflict more close at hand. I could talk with many displaced Palestinians, and hear their side of the story. And the aversion to the book has increased.

The story of "Exodus" could be summarised in one sentence: "Brave godlike Jews defeat cowardly, evil Arabs and build the beautiful country of Israel."

Yuck. ( )
  Nandakishore_Varma | Sep 28, 2013 |
I was only vaguely aware of "Exodus" by Leon Uris before I saw it listed as a challenge book for the month of May in 2013. My only recollection of it was that it was made into a movie starring Paul Newman. Go figure.

After deciding to read it, I checked with the local public library, but they did not own a copy. I ordered a used paperback through an internet source, and commenced reading on about May 9th, finishing up on May 29th in the wee hours of the morning.

Normally I don't read any book this slowly, but "Exodus" was different: there was so much information, interesting information, that I felt I needed to take my time with it. I found myself reading way past my bedtime, until I was falling asleep with the book in my hand.

While a large book of over 600 pages, it never seemed like a chore to read, but more like a joy to read, to savor and meditate upon.

The content of the book shows that Leon Uris obviously did a tremendous amount of research, but his characters are also well-fleshed out, believable, and likeable.

Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | May 29, 2013 |
Powerful! Reads like non-ficiton in many ways. A long book, ideal in ebook format to avoid tiny, paperback font. Character development includes lifelong personal and family histories. Fascinating, graphic, tragic, & inspiring. ( )
  JamesPaul977 | May 26, 2013 |
I had good memories of reading this book almost fifty years ago and liked it even better the second time around reading it with the 'wisdom' I've gained over the past five decades. It may not be a literary masterpiece but it touches the heart as it vividly portrays the persecution and the faith and dedication of the Jews over centuries.

The meld of fact and fiction is the perfect device for imparting the history and passion of the Jewish people. The characters lead the reader through the post-WWII period of massive immigration of Jews into Palestine and their untiring efforts to make desert land fertile while overcoming hostility from their Arab neighbors. This fine example of epic historical fiction is still timely as it gives a greater understanding of the wars and hatred that plague the Middle East.

Uris wrote the history portions accurately to my knowledge and created a darn good fiction story to boot. There is enough adventure to satisfy the most daring reader and several great love stories for the romantics among us. The writing was not up to the standards of some of my favorite authors, but his storytelling is first class and makes up for some stilted dialogue and stereotypical characters. This is a book of faith and there are many Bible references to explain the Jewish reliance on God. It's just part of their story and who they are which made it more meaningful to me. As Kitty, the non-Jewish nurse working with the orphans said: "I have learned that it is impossible to be a Christian without being a Jew in spirit." (495) Whatever your beliefs are, it would be impossible to read this book without having great respect for what the Jewish people have achieved in making Israel a country to be proud of. ( )
11 vote Donna828 | May 25, 2013 |

Leon Urisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Wit-Boonacker, H.C.E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerlach, Hans EgonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my Daughter, Karen, and my sons, Mark and Michael - and their mother
The airplane plip-plopped down the runway to a halt before the big sign: WELCOME TO CYPRUS.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553258478, Mass Market Paperback)

Exodus is an international publishing phenomenon--the towering novel of the twentieth century's most dramatic geopolitical event.  Leon Uris magnificently portrays the birth of a new nation in the midst of enemies--the beginning of an earthshaking struggle for power.  Here is the tale that swept the world with its fury: the story of an American nurse, an Israeli freedom fighter caught up in a glorious, heartbreaking, triumphant era.  Here is Exodus --one of the great best-selling novels of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:34 -0400)

Exodus is an international publishing phenomenon--the towering novel of the twentieth century's most dramatic geopolitical event. Leon Uris magnificently portrays the birth of a new nation in the midst of enemies--the beginning of an earthshaking struggle for power. Here is the tale that swept the world with its fury: the story of an American nurse, an Israeli freedom fighter caught up in a glorious, heartbreaking, triumphant era. Here is Exodus --one of the great best-selling novels of all time. --Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible