Exodus by Leon Uris

Exodus (1958)

by Leon Uris

3,034381,872 (4.1)1 / 177
Recently added bydonita51, private library, AlcuinodeYork, FOHHL, vikreads, ikbeneyal, jkrnomad, jasmaynard, diegobaz
Legacy LibrariesLouis Armstrong

English (31)  Hebrew (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
$350.00
  danbrady | Apr 8, 2016 |
Novel about the founding of Israel after WW2. ( )
  bowlees | Feb 18, 2016 |
This was the book that introduced me to the Holocaust, something nobody talked about in front of children way back in 1962. I was so affected that I not only vowed to name my first son "Ari" [which I eventually did], but I told that to every boy I dated. ( )
1 vote Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
All through high school and into college, I had a friend who worked at our local library. Stopping in to visit every now and then, I’d sometimes leave with discards or old beat-up books that were being culled from the shelves. Though I believe by that point I’d already read Uris’s excellent tale of Ireland, Trinity, and Mila 18, his tale of the Warsaw ghetto, for some reason, I hadn’t yet read Exodus. That’s how I stumbled upon my first copy of this book.

Engrossing after even the first few pages, Exodus is, of course, the story of the creation of the State of Israel. Picking up not long after World War II ends, with the displaced Jews of Europe still living in refugee camps, their homes long gone or stolen, they are simply looking for a place to live and call their own. With the British cracking down on emigration to Palestine, those Jews wishing to make the trek must rely on luck or skill or guile. The book continues the journeys of these people from a shattered Europe, into Palestine, and toward a hard-won statehood.

So engrossing is the book that one day, about halfway in, I decided to take the old beat-up hardback into the bath with me. I don’t normally take baths. Think I just wanted to escape even further into the book. So there I was, halfway in, enjoying my bath, in the middle of an exciting scene, when I turned the page and . . . there was about a forty page chunk in the middle missing. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I blinked, looked again, but there was no doubt about it. It went from something like page 232 straight to page 280. You could even see the hollowed out chunk in the spine where those pages used to be.

Damn!

So frustrated was I that I did give passing thought to simply jumping ahead. I might even have read a sentence or two further, skipping over the missing chunk, before thinking better of it. Flinging the book aside, I dried myself off, got into my car, went to the bookstore, and bought another copy. And if the same thing happens to you?

You will too. ( )
2 vote BrendanPMyers | Jun 23, 2014 |
Even though I was caught up in the book when I first read it, I had to leave it halfway through... and when I went back to it some years later, after learning more about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (not the American-Israeli fiction, but real history), I felt I couldn't read it, it was so nauseating. Now I work in the Middle East, and see the conflict more close at hand. I could talk with many displaced Palestinians, and hear their side of the story. And the aversion to the book has increased.

The story of "Exodus" could be summarised in one sentence: "Brave godlike Jews defeat cowardly, evil Arabs and build the beautiful country of Israel."

Yuck. ( )
1 vote Nandakishore_Varma | Sep 28, 2013 |

Leon Urisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Wit-Boonacker, H.C.E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerlach, Hans EgonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my Daughter, Karen, and my sons, Mark and Michael - and their mother
The airplane plip-plopped down the runway to a halt before the big sign: WELCOME TO CYPRUS.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553258478, Mass Market Paperback)

Exodus is an international publishing phenomenon--the towering novel of the twentieth century's most dramatic geopolitical event.  Leon Uris magnificently portrays the birth of a new nation in the midst of enemies--the beginning of an earthshaking struggle for power.  Here is the tale that swept the world with its fury: the story of an American nurse, an Israeli freedom fighter caught up in a glorious, heartbreaking, triumphant era.  Here is Exodus --one of the great best-selling novels of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:08 -0400)

Exodus is an international publishing phenomenon--the towering novel of the twentieth century's most dramatic geopolitical event. Leon Uris magnificently portrays the birth of a new nation in the midst of enemies--the beginning of an earthshaking struggle for power. Here is the tale that swept the world with its fury: the story of an American nurse, an Israeli freedom fighter caught up in a glorious, heartbreaking, triumphant era. Here is Exodus --one of the great best-selling novels of all time. --Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,496,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible