Adventures on the wine route : a wine…

Adventures on the wine route : a wine buyer's tour of France (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Kermit Lynch

Member:zink23
Title:Adventures on the wine route : a wine buyer's tour of France
Authors:Kermit Lynch
Info:New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1988.
Collections:Your library, Read

Adventures on the wine route by Kermit Lynch (1988)

Recently added byAnthonyTFS, drewmeyer, tkiyak, sfcap, Wfsantini, Novenoga, jbennett
Legacy LibrariesJuliaChild

I'm always on the lookout for readable (or rather well written) books on food and wine). It all started with Robin Yapp's 'Drilling for Wine' and followed by Idwal Jone's wonderful 'High Bonnet'. one on wine, one on food.
Some are too travel guide, some too technical, some too anoraky. There is a happy medium whereby the author has experience, expertise, passion and lucidty.On these strengths I can add Kermit Lynch to this narrow shelf in my library.
I would love to hear about others that fit the bill for like-minded members... ( )
  TimForrest65 | Jan 12, 2017 |
Read September 2006. Re-read October 2015. Still great. ( )
  stonecrops | May 18, 2016 |
I own this book so I think I will always be reading it.
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Our guidebook to France in 1998. Witty, informative, a great pleasure to read. ( )
  evelynk28 | Jan 4, 2015 |
A book with a wonderful topic in which you meet some colourful characters, but unfortunately it suffers from a self absorbed, tiresome, and repetitive narrator. Kermit Lynch doesn't like blind tasting, filtering of wine, adding sugar and oak to wine, rating wine with numbers, and using techniques which promote making money from wine. In the first presentation of his arguments on these topics he may make you think - he certainly offers a few reasonable arguments - but, then...they are repeated through both small quips and long reiterations over and over, then again and again. I found his continual lack of sympathy to wine makers who are just trying to make some $$ bordering on insulting. The job of the winemakers of France is not to ensure wine merchants catering to the wealthy of Berkeley CA have something worthy of their ego to sell. Lastly, some of his more unscientific comments, especially on the filtering process can be grating. The only reason this book was read aloud to the end was the vignettes on the French winemakers, the descriptions of the French country side, and the pleasant memories that returned when he spoke of places we'd been drinking wine on vacation. ( )
  piefuchs | Apr 20, 2008 |
To my clients, who make these adventures possible
We Americans with our New World innocence and democratic sensibilities tend to think that all wines are created equal, and that differences in quality are simply a matter of individual taste.

Kermit Lynch’s recounting of his experiences on the wine route and in the wine cellars of France takes the reader through the Loire, Bordeaux, the Languedoc, Provence, Northern and Southern Rhone, and the Cote d’Or.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

"The newly designed twenty-fifth anniversary edition of the classic volume, brought up-to-date "Wine is, above all, about pleasure. Those who make it ponderous make it dull. If you keep an open mind and take each wine on its own terms, there is a world of magic to discover." So wrote the renowned wine expert Kermit Lynch in the introduction to Adventures on the Wine Route, his ultimate tour of France, especially its wine cellars. The "magic" of wine is Lynch's subject as he takes the reader on a singular journey through the Loire, Bordeaux, the Languedoc, Provence, Northern and Southern Rhone, and Burgundy. In Adventures on the Wine Route, the wine lover will find wisdom without a trace of pretension and hype. As Victor Hazen wrote, "In Kermit Lynch's small, true, delightful book there is more understanding about what wine really is than in everything else I have read." Praise for Lynch and for Adventures on the Wine Route has not ceased since the book's initial publication a quarter century ago. In 2007, The New York Times called it "one of the finest American books on wine." And in June 2012, The Wall Street Journal proclaimed it "the best book on the wine business." Full of vivid portraits of French vintners, memorable evocations of the French countryside, and, of course, vibrant descriptions of French wines, this new edition of Adventures on the Wine Route updates a modern classic for our times"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,200,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible