Blood Lies by Marianne Macdonald

Blood Lies (edition 2002)

by Marianne Macdonald

Info:Minotaur Books (2002), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:2013, British mystery, book dealer, Peter Rabbit, First

Blood Lies by Marianne Macdonald

No reviews
'Now, my dears,' said old Mrs. Rabbit one morning, 'you may go into the fields or down the lane, but don't go into Mr McGregor's garden; your father had an accident there...'
In memory of my parents Gordon Macdonald and Mildred (Sproule) Macdonald, who never had much but did the best they could: who read to me when I was small, got me a library ticket when I was seven, sent me out into the world with my father's old portable typewriter -- and are not forgotten.

To escape from bad memories and nightmares in London, antiquarian book dealer Dido Hoare takes time off to visit a childhood friend, Lizzy Waring. Lizzy lives in the picturesque village of Somerset with her husband and his family. The Warings own Monksdanes, an idyllic Georgian mansion; it appears the perfect place for an over-active London native to rest and recuperate.

At first Dido is enchanted by the surroundings. But it's not long before she realizes, to her dismay, that the postcard beauty is just a façade - there's a much darker reality below the surface. And her best friend is unwillingly at the center of it all; something has gone terribly wrong with Lizzy's life. But what? Lizzie won't say, and her in-laws are a secretive lot. The Waring family code is quite obviously "blood is thicker than water." The rest of the world are outsiders. Nothing is what it seems.

Dido is determined to help her old friend. Fighting through a maze of lies and misdemeanors, and ultimately what she suspects is murder, she persists in probing the deep secrets the Warings are guarding. Making some allies and some enemies along the way, Dido uncovers the sinister underbelly to life in the picturesque village. Although aware that she is putting herself in jeopardy, she doggedly brings to light the horrifying truth that is at the center of it all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:21 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible