Green Darkness by Anya Seton

Green Darkness (edition 2005)

by Anya Seton

Member:CozyLover
Title:Green Darkness
Authors:Anya Seton
Info:Chicago Review Press (2005), Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:Time Travel, Romance, England, Tudors, Elizabeth I, King Edward, Queen Mary, 16th Century, Historical Fiction

Green Darkness by Anya Seton

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Sorry, no, imo this doesn't really count as 'Time Travel' because it seems more like 591 pp of gothic romance or something. Not for me.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Reincarnation provides the path to time-travel in this classic gothic tale of historical romance. The new, happy marriage of Celia and Richard Marsdon seems to have fallen apart since they have returned to his ancestral home. Richard has withdrawn and Celia is feeling haunted and anxious. When she has a nervous collapse then becomes catatonic, Dr. Akananda makes a remarkable claim: Celia must resolve the trauma of a previous live or she will die. Celia's consciousness travels from 1968 to 1552, into the mind of Celia Bohun, a beautiful, orphan servant girl. In a time of religious strife, Celia Bohun fell in love with a monk, Brother Stephen Marsdon (Richard in a former life). When Brother Stephen forsakes his vows for love of Celia, he defies the laws of the church and the mores of Tudor society. Full of historical detail, intrigue, and danger, Seton draws the reader into the tale of Stephen and Celia's doomed love. The only question remaining is if Richard and Celia can set the wheel of fate and Karma back on track once the events of the past have been revealed.
  ktoonen | Sep 16, 2014 |
While browsing a library book sale, my hand was drawn to a hardcover book on the 50-cent table, its black fabric torn and shredded, title so worn it was invisible to me. I couldn't even see the author's name. But something inside said, "It's only 50 cents; buy this book!" So I threw it in my little pile of purchases. This isn't so significant until you realize that it has been my life's work to study and write about reincarnation, but I didn't know this old book even existed!

I was stunned to discover what I'd brought home--so few novels about reincarnation existed in 1993! I stayed up all night reading it. And now I own a second copy that's in a little better shape. I think it's time to read it again, which is something I almost never have time to do. ( )
  mrsdowney | Oct 17, 2013 |
I do believe I actually own a first edition of this book. I picked this up years ago at some sale or used bookstore. I really can't remember where. I was intrigued by the mystery - no summary, no cover art, interesting title, and green-edged pages. I wonder if I'll ever get around to reading it.
  __Lindsey__ | Apr 17, 2013 |
I found this book sitting all by itself on a table at a library book sale. It was the last day of the sale and everything had been quite picked over except for this gem. Needless to say I grabbed it right away.

Thank goodness for the Mt. TBR Challenge which prompted me to read those books which have been on my shelves the longest. This being one.

The novel is divided into three parts and begins during what feels like the 1970's. Celia and Richard Marsdon are a wealthy young couple recently married and living in the Marsdon family home. One evening Celia falls into a trance-like state and we find out that she is revisiting her past life in the 1500's. Her past life involves a tragic love and ending which must be resolved in order for her present to be free.

I loved this middle section and thought it was really well done. The reign of Edward the VI and his subsequent death felt really well researched and that shows in the writing. Seton explores the idea of reincarnation and atonement in an interesting way that is believable and not gimmicky.

Another winner from Seton. ( )
  MichelleCH | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read this when it was first published and was blown away. One of the few books that I was unable to finish without a lump in my throat and tears hindering me from reading the last pages.
added by ditchdiggergirl | editLocal Library, Ditchdiggergirl (Apr 30, 2010)

In the ancient manor of Medfield Place in Sussex there is a huge vellum-bound book containing entries made by the Marsdon family from A.D. 1430 until September 15, 1967, when the death of Sir Charles Marsdon is noted.
ISBN 085456571X is for the Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the book. Do Not combine with the book that contains the complete story.

When Celia Marsdon and her husband Richard visit his family's hereditary manor of Medfield Place in Sussex, she begins to relive the experiences of an earlier Celia. In a parallel tale, Celia de Bohun has a love affair with Stephen Maisdon, a priest in 1552, that leads to heartbreak and tragedy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible