Green Darkness by Anya Seton

Green Darkness (edition 2005)

by Anya Seton

Title:Green Darkness
Authors:Anya Seton
Info:Chicago Review Press (2005), Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:Time Travel, Romance, England, Tudors, Elizabeth I, King Edward, Queen Mary, 16th Century, Historical Fiction

Green Darkness by Anya Seton

English (30)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
Interesting ... kept my attention (to my surprise).

Reincarnation; working off karmic debts;
the historic portion was quite well done I think, and nicely incorporated the political changes & the catholic/protestant tensions ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Although this story is set in two different time periods, Tudor England and 1968 very little of the book takes part in 1968 which i liked as I tend to prefer the historical parts of these types of stories.

While I enjoyed this book and thought it was well written I'm only giving it 3 stars as I found the central character Celia to be a selfish bitch. She claims to love the priest but sees nothing wrong in wanting him to give up the church which he loves, or he could give up his chosen religion and instead of being a Catholic priest he could become a Lutheran one instead and then they could get married. She also doesn't see anything wrong in giving him a potion that she got from a witch, a potion that was supposed to be used on her husband so that they would be able to have sex and she would become pregnant. She never uses the potion on the husband and after he dies she uses it on the priest because she wants him but he keeps pushing her away. When she was given the potion the witch warned her that it would be dangerous to use it for anything other than its intended purpose, and of course when you ignore a warning from a witch there is a price to be paid.

Celia initially gets what she wants, she becomes pregnant with the priest's baby and he agrees to leave with her. However the mistress of the house finds out about them having sex and murders Celia and hides her body. The priest thinks Celia has ran away with somebody else and he commits suicide. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Fun escapist historical fiction. ( )
  andieaaase | Nov 30, 2015 |
Fun escapist historical fiction. ( )
  andieaaase | Nov 30, 2015 |
New favorite book of all time. Even the second time. ( )
  JessLJones | Sep 10, 2015 |
I read this when it was first published and was blown away. One of the few books that I was unable to finish without a lump in my throat and tears hindering me from reading the last pages.
added by ditchdiggergirl | editLocal Library, Ditchdiggergirl (Apr 30, 2010)
In the ancient manor of Medfield Place in Sussex there is a huge vellum-bound book containing entries made by the Marsdon family from A.D. 1430 until September 15, 1967, when the death of Sir Charles Marsdon is noted.
ISBN 085456571X is for the Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the book. Do Not combine with the book that contains the complete story.

When Celia Marsdon and her husband Richard visit his family's hereditary manor of Medfield Place in Sussex, she begins to relive the experiences of an earlier Celia. In a parallel tale, Celia de Bohun has a love affair with Stephen Maisdon, a priest in 1552, that leads to heartbreak and tragedy.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,699,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible