High Tide at Noon by Elizabeth Ogilvie

High Tide at Noon (original 1944; edition 1944)

by Elizabeth Ogilvie

Title:High Tide at Noon
Authors:Elizabeth Ogilvie
Info:Harpercollins (1944), Hardcover

High Tide at Noon by Elisabeth Ogilvie (1944)

It's hard for me to be objective about this book. I loved it; I loved every bit of it. But that's possibly because it is so close to home. As someone whose family is from a Maine island very similar to the fictional Bennett's, this could be about my relatives. The copy I read actually belonged to my islander grandmother, a woman whose personality, speech, and mannerisms could have stepped from its pages. This book encapsulates how I feel about the people and geography of coastal Maine, and how I feel about islands, so perfectly that I can't help but love it.

Is it a compelling plot? Does it have compelling characters? Is it well-written? I would say yes to all of that. I think it is very much worth reading. But that may just be my islander speaking.

1 vote CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |

The struggles, hardship, and joy of one woman's life on a Maine island are brought to life in this haunting and enduringly popular trilogy, the first three books of the Bennett's Island series. Elisabeth Ogilvie tells the story of Joanna Bennett and her colorful life on Bennett's Island with a sensitivity and truthfulness born of her own early years on isolated Criehaven, the real Bennett's Island.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:43 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,797,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible