Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales…

Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

Member:Broeli
Title:Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:*****

Everything's Eventual by Stephen King (2002)

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (MandaTheStrange)
    Elvisland by John Farris (Scottneumann)
    The Hotel Eden Stories by Ron Carlson (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. ...for instance...The Hotel Eden by Ron Carlson..."
    Sam the Cat: and Other Stories by Matthew Klam (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. Sam the Cat by Matthew Klam, for instance..."
    Blue World by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Lovedeath by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (74)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (84)
Stories
Title Originally published in
Autopsy Room Four Six Stories (1997)
The Man in the Black Suit October 31, 1994 issue of The New Yorker
All That You Love Will Be Carried Away January 29, 2001 issue of The New Yorker
The Death of Jack Hamilton December 24/31, 2001 issue of The New Yorker
In the Deathroom Blood and Smoke audiobook (1999)
The Little Sisters of Eluria Legends (1998)
Everything's Eventual October/November 1997 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
L. T.'s Theory of Pets Six Stories (1997)
The Road Virus Heads North 999 (1999)
Lunch at the Gotham Café Dark Love (1995)
That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French June 22/29, 1998 issue of The New Yorker
1408 Blood and Smoke audiobook (1999)
Riding the Bullet Riding the Bullet e-book (2000)
Luckey Quarter June 30/July 2, 1995 issue of USA Weekend
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
Really quite good. I think King's short stories are generally much much better than his novels. They're short, to-the-point, don't go off on tangents, and usually pack a punch.

The title story, Everything's Eventual, is great too... Did anyone ever read the kid's book, "The Girl With the Silver Eyes"? It's kinda like that - but realistic!

There's also a truly creepy story about a ghosthunter in a haunted hotel room... and many more! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
King is truly a literary genius in this! As much as I liked the novels he's written that I read, I totally agree with colinmoon's review: his short stories are intense and captivating and at times, too short.

Autopsy Room Four is the scariest thing I have ever read.. at times I felt my heart was going to beat out of my body. Everything's Eventual was one I re-read as soon as I finished it (King's writing is perfect for that because you always discover something the second time around). "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French" was great too and it was weird at the same time - I had thought of a great idea for a short story the day before I read it and both have a similar plotline dealing with deja vu.. very weird! And of course, the reason why I read the book, "1408" is great and I hope the movie is just as good. ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
Never read King before, so I thought collection of short stories is just the thing for me. I wasn't wrong. I was pleasantly surprised to find not only scary stories but also creepy, funny, and quirky ones as well. It was quite multidimensional King I was reading and I liked it. Looking forward to reading more from him. ( )
  Jaskier | Dec 1, 2015 |
My all-time favorite Stephen King book. ( )
  allyofthedawn | Sep 12, 2015 |
1408 (2007IMDb)
This is for Shane Leonard
It's so dark that for awhile-just how long I don't know-I think I'm still unconscious.
This is the collection "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King.

Everything's Eventual is a collection of 14 short stories written by Stephen King.
- Autopsy Room Four
- That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French
- 1408
- Riding the Bullet
- Luckey Quarter

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743457358, Mass Market Paperback)

In his introduction to Everything's Eventual, horror author extraordinaire Stephen King describes how he used a deck of playing cards to select the order in which these 14 tales of the macabre would appear. Judging by the impact of these stories, from the first words of the darkly fascinating "Autopsy Room Four" to the haunting final pages of "Luckey Quarter," one can almost believe King truly is guided by forces from beyond.

His first collection of short stories since the release of Nightmares & Dreamscapes in 1993, Everything's Eventual represents King at his most undiluted. The short story format showcases King's ability to spook readers using the most mundane settings (a yard sale) and comfortable memories (a boyhood fishing excursion). The dark tales collected here are some of King's finest, including an O. Henry Prize winner and "Riding the Bullet," published originally as an e-book and at one time expected by some to be the death knell of the physical publishing world. True to form, each of these stories draws the reader into King's slightly off-center world from the first page, developing characters and atmosphere more fully in the span of 50 pages than many authors can in a full novel.

For most rabid King fans, chief among the tales in this volume will be "The Little Sisters of Eluria," a novella that first appeared in the fantasy collection Legends, set in King's ever-expanding Dark Tower universe. In this story, set prior to the first Dark Tower volume, the reader finds Gunslinger Roland of Gilead wounded and under the care of nurses with very dubious intentions. Also included in this collection are "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French," the story of a woman's personal hell; "1408," in which a writer of haunted tour guides finally encounters the real thing; "Everything's Eventual," the title story, about a boy with a dream job that turns out to be more of a nightmare; and "L.T.'s Theory of Pets," a story of divorce with a bloody surprise ending.

King also includes an introductory essay on the lost art of short fiction and brief explanatory notes that give the reader background on his intentions and inspirations for each story. As with any occasion when King directly addresses his dear Constant Readers, his tone is that of a camp counselor who's almost apologetic for the scare his fireside tales are about to throw into his charges, yet unwilling to soften the blow. And any campers gathered around this author's fire would be wise to heed his warnings, for when King goes bump in the night, it's never just a branch on the window. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:14 -0400)

Whether writing about encounters with the dead, the near dead, or about the mundane dreads of life, from quitting smoking to yard sales, Stephen King is at the top of his form in the fourteen dark tales assembled in Everything's Eventual. Intense, eerie, and instantly compelling, they announce the stunningly fertile imagination of perhaps the greatest storyteller of our time.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible