Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales…

Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

Member:Broeli
Title:Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:*****

Everything's Eventual by Stephen King (2002)

Recently added bynancymyers, private library, drmehollis, JAHunter13, MaraBlaise, AlbertineSimonet, BernJ
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (MandaTheStrange)
    Sam the Cat: and Other Stories by Matthew Klam (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. Sam the Cat by Matthew Klam, for instance..."
    Blue World by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Lovedeath by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Hotel Eden Stories by Ron Carlson (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. ...for instance...The Hotel Eden by Ron Carlson..."
    Elvisland by John Farris (Scottneumann)

English (68)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (77)
Stephen King quotes Amy Tan in his introduction to 'On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft' that as far as popular novelists are concerned 'No one ever asks about the language' - well, the stories in this collection are all about the language - just as much as the stories themselves. ( )
  JamesHarper | Nov 19, 2014 |
I don't know what to say of this book. It was okay, I guess. Still, I feel that some of the tales could have easily had a whole book just for them. The fact that they were "reduced" to be short stories somewhat took the magic away from them. 1408 and The Road Virus Heads North, for an instance, were excellent stories with an excellent, well-structured background and potential to make a whole epic saga. Unfortunately, they had very bland endings. Not unfitting or stupid, just... not what they could be.
Other than this, Everything's Eventual has great short-stories, most of them very fun to read, the best of them, in my opinion, being The Little Sisters of Eluria. This is not Stephen King's best work, but it still definitely worth reading. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Never read King before, so I thought collection of short stories is just the thing for me. I wasn't wrong. I was pleasantly surprised to find not only scary stories but also creepy, funny, and quirky ones as well. It was quite multidimensional King I was reading and I liked it. Looking forward to reading more from him. ( )
  Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
I wanted a book I could easily pick up read for awhile and put down again, only to repeat the process during a recent quick trip. Putting down this book was not a problem...picking it back up was.
In the preface to this book the author laments the changes taking place in publishing specifically the publishing of short stories. The book came out in 2002 and the author was concerned that short stories were dying due to the lack of places to publish and read those stories. Back then there was also the prediction that due to Ereaders paper books would soon disappear as well.
It is now 2014 and thank god paper books are still around. But what about short stories? Well I have read a number of good short stories from many fine writers. I have read a number of short stories from Stephen King. The short stories contained in this book are garbage. They are boring, they are not, in any way, horror related, they usually either end abruptly or leave the reader wanting some resolve.
Mr King doesn't need the money he says so in the beginning of the book so I ask,why as the reader, am I subjected to reading stories that should have just been deleted from his computer? ( )
  zmagic69 | Apr 20, 2014 |
It's always hard to review and rate a collection of short stories. There are stories you are bound to love, to remember, to forget and to hate. I do not hate any of the short stories within this collection but I do love some, remember most and would love to forget a few. I do love "The Little Sisters of Eluria" and "Everything's Eventual". I would always remember "Autopsy Room 4", "The Man in a Black Suit" and the Dillinger story. I would definitely like to forget "1408" since it was soooo scary!!! Over-all it was a good collection. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 4, 2014 |
1408 (2007IMDb)
This is for Shane Leonard
It's so dark that for awhile-just how long I don't know-I think I'm still unconscious.
This is the collection "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King.

Everything's Eventual is a collection of 14 short stories written by Stephen King.
- Autopsy Room Four
- That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French
- 1408
- Riding the Bullet
- Luckey Quarter

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743457358, Mass Market Paperback)

In his introduction to Everything's Eventual, horror author extraordinaire Stephen King describes how he used a deck of playing cards to select the order in which these 14 tales of the macabre would appear. Judging by the impact of these stories, from the first words of the darkly fascinating "Autopsy Room Four" to the haunting final pages of "Luckey Quarter," one can almost believe King truly is guided by forces from beyond.

His first collection of short stories since the release of Nightmares & Dreamscapes in 1993, Everything's Eventual represents King at his most undiluted. The short story format showcases King's ability to spook readers using the most mundane settings (a yard sale) and comfortable memories (a boyhood fishing excursion). The dark tales collected here are some of King's finest, including an O. Henry Prize winner and "Riding the Bullet," published originally as an e-book and at one time expected by some to be the death knell of the physical publishing world. True to form, each of these stories draws the reader into King's slightly off-center world from the first page, developing characters and atmosphere more fully in the span of 50 pages than many authors can in a full novel.

For most rabid King fans, chief among the tales in this volume will be "The Little Sisters of Eluria," a novella that first appeared in the fantasy collection Legends, set in King's ever-expanding Dark Tower universe. In this story, set prior to the first Dark Tower volume, the reader finds Gunslinger Roland of Gilead wounded and under the care of nurses with very dubious intentions. Also included in this collection are "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French," the story of a woman's personal hell; "1408," in which a writer of haunted tour guides finally encounters the real thing; "Everything's Eventual," the title story, about a boy with a dream job that turns out to be more of a nightmare; and "L.T.'s Theory of Pets," a story of divorce with a bloody surprise ending.

King also includes an introductory essay on the lost art of short fiction and brief explanatory notes that give the reader background on his intentions and inspirations for each story. As with any occasion when King directly addresses his dear Constant Readers, his tone is that of a camp counselor who's almost apologetic for the scare his fireside tales are about to throw into his charges, yet unwilling to soften the blow. And any campers gathered around this author's fire would be wise to heed his warnings, for when King goes bump in the night, it's never just a branch on the window. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:47 -0400)

Whether writing about encounters with the dead, the near dead, or about the mundane dreads of life, from quitting smoking to yard sales, Stephen King is at the top of his form in the fourteen dark tales assembled in Everything's Eventual. Intense, eerie, and instantly compelling, they announce the stunningly fertile imagination of perhaps the greatest storyteller of our time.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible