Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales…

Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

6,20382654 (3.73)108
Member:Broeli
Title:Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:*****

Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales by Stephen King (2002)

Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill (MandaTheStrange)
    Sam the Cat: and Other Stories by Matthew Klam (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. Sam the Cat by Matthew Klam, for instance..."
    The Hotel Eden Stories by Ron Carlson (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. ...for instance...The Hotel Eden by Ron Carlson..."
    Blue World by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Lovedeath by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Elvisland by John Farris (Scottneumann)

English (72)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (82)
Audio book
It's King all right. The short King, which I like less than the long one, and the downright horror King, which I like less than the story-telling King with horror strewn in on the sides for good measure. But it's King all right - some better, some worse -, and therefore it ran into my brain like petrol from the headphones.
With King audio books, I seem to know - and understand - a sentence before it's spoken.
  Kindlegohome | Jul 9, 2015 |
King put it all together in this book. I will admit there were a few stories that I wish he would have finished (I know they are finished but I wanted a conclusion!!). It was a great read that you don't often get from other authors -- where one is willing to show you some of the other works that just are not a novel.
If he keeps writing them...I will keep reading them! ( )
  gopfolk | May 29, 2015 |
This is a vast improvement on King's previous two collections, but still the quality is highly variable. At the bottom of the deck you have The Little Sisters of Eluria. This was so bad it had me wincing in embarrassment for the author. It reads like sub-standard fan-fiction. At the other end of the scale you have things like 1408. The first half in particular has some fine writing. My favourite though is All That You Love Will Be Carried Away. The best piece of grafitti I've ever seen is in the gents' at the Free Trade Inn here in Newcastle. It reads "Whale vaginas are over rated as gloves". I like to think proper research was undertaken. ( )
  Lukerik | May 14, 2015 |
I read this book because my own short story collection was listed as comparable to Everything’s Eventual on Kirkus Reviews. I sincerely hope that’s the case as I found King as good as ever here, delivering short narratives as comfortable as an old pair of jeans. The standouts for me were, “1408”, “Riding the Bullet”, “The Road Virus Heads North” and the title story, “Everything’s Eventual”. Truth is, I will go just about anywhere with King and did here, with the exceptions being The Dark Tower piece, “The Little Sisters of Eluria”—I’ve got a problem with cowboy fiction I guess, especially cowboy fantasy fiction. Pass! No matter what he’s writing about, he knows how to be a good host. It’s hard to deny King throws some of the best word parties around. Long live short fiction! ( )
  sixslug | Jan 18, 2015 |
Stephen King quotes Amy Tan in his introduction to 'On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft' that as far as popular novelists are concerned 'No one ever asks about the language' - well, the stories in this collection are all about the language - just as much as the stories themselves. ( )
  JamesHarper | Nov 19, 2014 |
1408 (2007IMDb)
This is for Shane Leonard
It's so dark that for awhile-just how long I don't know-I think I'm still unconscious.
This is the collection "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King.

Everything's Eventual is a collection of 14 short stories written by Stephen King.
- Autopsy Room Four
- That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French
- 1408
- Riding the Bullet
- Luckey Quarter

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743457358, Mass Market Paperback)

In his introduction to Everything's Eventual, horror author extraordinaire Stephen King describes how he used a deck of playing cards to select the order in which these 14 tales of the macabre would appear. Judging by the impact of these stories, from the first words of the darkly fascinating "Autopsy Room Four" to the haunting final pages of "Luckey Quarter," one can almost believe King truly is guided by forces from beyond.

His first collection of short stories since the release of Nightmares & Dreamscapes in 1993, Everything's Eventual represents King at his most undiluted. The short story format showcases King's ability to spook readers using the most mundane settings (a yard sale) and comfortable memories (a boyhood fishing excursion). The dark tales collected here are some of King's finest, including an O. Henry Prize winner and "Riding the Bullet," published originally as an e-book and at one time expected by some to be the death knell of the physical publishing world. True to form, each of these stories draws the reader into King's slightly off-center world from the first page, developing characters and atmosphere more fully in the span of 50 pages than many authors can in a full novel.

For most rabid King fans, chief among the tales in this volume will be "The Little Sisters of Eluria," a novella that first appeared in the fantasy collection Legends, set in King's ever-expanding Dark Tower universe. In this story, set prior to the first Dark Tower volume, the reader finds Gunslinger Roland of Gilead wounded and under the care of nurses with very dubious intentions. Also included in this collection are "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French," the story of a woman's personal hell; "1408," in which a writer of haunted tour guides finally encounters the real thing; "Everything's Eventual," the title story, about a boy with a dream job that turns out to be more of a nightmare; and "L.T.'s Theory of Pets," a story of divorce with a bloody surprise ending.

King also includes an introductory essay on the lost art of short fiction and brief explanatory notes that give the reader background on his intentions and inspirations for each story. As with any occasion when King directly addresses his dear Constant Readers, his tone is that of a camp counselor who's almost apologetic for the scare his fireside tales are about to throw into his charges, yet unwilling to soften the blow. And any campers gathered around this author's fire would be wise to heed his warnings, for when King goes bump in the night, it's never just a branch on the window. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:14 -0400)

Whether writing about encounters with the dead, the near dead, or about the mundane dreads of life, from quitting smoking to yard sales, Stephen King is at the top of his form in the fourteen dark tales assembled in Everything's Eventual. Intense, eerie, and instantly compelling, they announce the stunningly fertile imagination of perhaps the greatest storyteller of our time.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,502,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible