Everything's Eventual by Stephen King

Everything's Eventual (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Stephen King

5,957None701 (3.73)99
Member:nicole2222
Title:Everything's Eventual
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:***

Everything's Eventual by Stephen King (2002)

(12) American (18) anthology (96) collection (83) dark tower (46) ebook (21) fantasy (53) fiction (536) first edition (13) hardcover (33) horror (834) horror fiction (19) King (60) mystery (19) own (33) owned (16) paperback (13) read (80) science fiction (13) short fiction (19) short stories (507) short story (37) short story collection (26) Stephen King (155) stories (14) supernatural (32) suspense (45) thriller (42) to-read (42) unread (45)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (MandaTheStrange)
    Sam the Cat: and Other Stories by Matthew Klam (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. Sam the Cat by Matthew Klam, for instance..."
    The Hotel Eden Stories by Ron Carlson (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: from Stephen King in the introduction: "...if these stories work for you, buy another collection. ...for instance...The Hotel Eden by Ron Carlson..."
    Blue World by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Lovedeath by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Elvisland by John Farris (Scottneumann)

English (66)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (75)
It's always hard to review and rate a collection of short stories. There are stories you are bound to love, to remember, to forget and to hate. I do not hate any of the short stories within this collection but I do love some, remember most and would love to forget a few. I do love "The Little Sisters of Eluria" and "Everything's Eventual". I would always remember "Autopsy Room 4", "The Man in a Black Suit" and the Dillinger story. I would definitely like to forget "1408" since it was soooo scary!!! Over-all it was a good collection. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 4, 2014 |
Stephen King's contribution to the art of the short story is a wonderful mix of his storytelling genius. No matter where my reading takes me I eventually go back to Stephen King! This collection doesn't disappoint. I didn't even mind revisiting 3 of the 14 stories. ( )
  jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |
Some of the stories I'd already read in other collections of short stories, but the ones I'd not read before (as well as most of the ones I had read before) were fantastic! ( )
  wispywillow | Sep 21, 2013 |
Wow, it is not easy to review a short story collection all at once. So let me use that well-worn tactic of nervous poets everywhere and start out with a couple explanations.

First, this was my first extended exposure to Stephen King’s writing. Although I’m familiar with many of the novels, I haven’t read any of them yet. Second, there seem to be quite a few versions of this collection with different stories. The version I’m reviewing contained these stories (roughly in the order I preferred them): "1408," “Autopsy Room Four,” "The Man in the Black Suit," "The Death of Jack Hamilton," "The Road Virus Heads North," "Lunch at the Gotham Café," "L. T.'s Theory of Pets," "In the Deathroom," "Luckey Quarter," "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away," "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French," "Riding the Bullet," "The Little Sisters of Eluria," and "Everything's Eventual."

A few stories in here, especially “1408,” I found really, goosebump-inducing scary. The best written one is “The Death of Jack Hamilton,” which uses a different and realistic voice and focuses on a different sort of topic than the other stories. I found the title story, “Everything’s Eventual,” tedious and overly drawn-out, and I found the narrator rather whiny.

One complaint I had with nearly every story is that the women were always lovers, mothers, nurses, maids, or gossips, or some combination of those things. The exception to this was “In the Deathroom,” although a case could made for “The Death of Jack Hamilton” as well (as that woman was one of the most likable out of all the stories). I don’t know if this is a common theme with all Stephen King work, or if he was just going through something in the mid- to late-nineties, when most of these stories were presumably written. It’s probably worth also pointing out that, of the many characters whose sexuality came up (whether relevant to the plot or not), none of them were gay. The only characters who seemed to be racial minorities were the Central Americans who had committed warcrimes and who were interrogating the white reporter in “In the Deathroom.” There’s certainly something to be said for writing what you know, but is it better to leave minorities out entirely or to have them come off as stereotypical, the way most of the women characters do? Either way, it gets a little overwhelming with the number of different characters that filled out these 14 stories.

Overall, though, the stories were good and entertaining when taken at face value. I happened to listen to this on audiobook in my car (many of the stories were narrated by Stephen King), and I think that was a good way to enjoy this. Also probably a good choice for a vacation book, especially if you’re staying at a creepy cabin somewhere!
  JLSmither | Aug 22, 2013 |
I haven't read much King, this is actually only the second book I've read by him (the first being Gunslinger). I've always wanted to get into him though, and I think this was the perfect book to start with. Fourteen short stories, a King smorgasbord, so to speak. Some I loved, some I just liked, some just weren't my thing - but overall it was a great collection. Every one was well written, and even if a story wasn't my favorite, I still found myself enjoying it. Highly recommended, and I'll definitely be reading more King soon. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
1408 (2007IMDb)
This is for Shane Leonard
It's so dark that for awhile-just how long I don't know-I think I'm still unconscious.
This is the collection "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King.

Everything's Eventual is a collection of 14 short stories written by Stephen King.
- Autopsy Room Four
- That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French
- 1408
- Riding the Bullet
- Luckey Quarter

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743457358, Mass Market Paperback)

In his introduction to Everything's Eventual, horror author extraordinaire Stephen King describes how he used a deck of playing cards to select the order in which these 14 tales of the macabre would appear. Judging by the impact of these stories, from the first words of the darkly fascinating "Autopsy Room Four" to the haunting final pages of "Luckey Quarter," one can almost believe King truly is guided by forces from beyond.

His first collection of short stories since the release of Nightmares & Dreamscapes in 1993, Everything's Eventual represents King at his most undiluted. The short story format showcases King's ability to spook readers using the most mundane settings (a yard sale) and comfortable memories (a boyhood fishing excursion). The dark tales collected here are some of King's finest, including an O. Henry Prize winner and "Riding the Bullet," published originally as an e-book and at one time expected by some to be the death knell of the physical publishing world. True to form, each of these stories draws the reader into King's slightly off-center world from the first page, developing characters and atmosphere more fully in the span of 50 pages than many authors can in a full novel.

For most rabid King fans, chief among the tales in this volume will be "The Little Sisters of Eluria," a novella that first appeared in the fantasy collection Legends, set in King's ever-expanding Dark Tower universe. In this story, set prior to the first Dark Tower volume, the reader finds Gunslinger Roland of Gilead wounded and under the care of nurses with very dubious intentions. Also included in this collection are "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French," the story of a woman's personal hell; "1408," in which a writer of haunted tour guides finally encounters the real thing; "Everything's Eventual," the title story, about a boy with a dream job that turns out to be more of a nightmare; and "L.T.'s Theory of Pets," a story of divorce with a bloody surprise ending.

King also includes an introductory essay on the lost art of short fiction and brief explanatory notes that give the reader background on his intentions and inspirations for each story. As with any occasion when King directly addresses his dear Constant Readers, his tone is that of a camp counselor who's almost apologetic for the scare his fireside tales are about to throw into his charges, yet unwilling to soften the blow. And any campers gathered around this author's fire would be wise to heed his warnings, for when King goes bump in the night, it's never just a branch on the window. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:47 -0400)

Whether writing about encounters with the dead, the near dead, or about the mundane dreads of life, from quitting smoking to yard sales, Stephen King is at the top of his form in the fourteen dark tales assembled in Everything's Eventual. Intense, eerie, and instantly compelling, they announce the stunningly fertile imagination of perhaps the greatest storyteller of our time.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible