Queen Lucia by E. F. Benson

Queen Lucia (original 1920; edition 2010)

by E. F. Benson

Member:elmussol
Title:Queen Lucia
Authors:E. F. Benson
Info:Rough Draft Printing (2010), Paperback, 190 pages
Tags:fiction, read, reread

Queen Lucia by E. F. Benson (1920)

Miss Marjoribanks by Margaret Oliphant (noveltea)
    noveltea: Lucia reminds me of a self-deluded version of Lucilla Marjoribanks

It's war! Strategy! weapons! Armies! Delicious. ( )
  J_Farnsworth | Aug 28, 2016 |
I share Miss Bracely's opinion of Lucia, "She is an ass." And so it's too bad that she's the main protagonist here. Olga is awfully engaging and Georgie is positively in-the-closet and so charming. I enjoyed the Brahmin from Benares, Foljambe, Georgie's butch sisters and even the Quantocks were more interesting than Lucia. She's ignorant and stuck-up and full of herself. I'd go on with the series if it were more about the secondary and tertiary characters. But that it's Lucia's show, I think I'll stop here. ( )
  libbromus | Jun 28, 2016 |
★★★.5

Emmaline (Lucia) Lucas is the undisputed queen of Riseholme during the roaring 20’s, and everyone knows it. She and her husband, Peppino, are close, and her next closest friend and ally is Georgie; while some think they flirt, that couldn’t be further from the truth, but he is definitely her go-to friend and confidante. As the neighbourhood becomes wrapped up in an Indian guru after Lucia snags him away from Mrs. Quantock, Georgie’s tall, strapping sisters bicycle in for a month’s stay after sending their dog and things by train, turning poor Georgie into a mess with their dog, whom he is certain is vicious and their rambunctious ways. Just at about the same time, his friend, the opera singer Olga Barcely, married to a different Georgie, but who hasn’t changed her name, comes to town, and then such a commotion as people race to be the first to see her and have her over. When Olga unwittingly offends Lucia, things go far from well, and poor Georgie is caught in the middle, and in the meantime romances begin to blossom among some of the local singles.
This is a delightful novel about the goings on of a small English community and the splash a newcomer makes. Light, fun, humourous with some glimpses into human nature and a wonderfully surprising amount of grace and compassion from someone you might not expect it from (but which of the characters I won’t say). I hadn’t even heard of this series until one of my Shelfari friends said she was rereading it and that I really must try it. I am planning to read the rest of the Lucia novels, but no more than one per month so I can savour and enjoy them without getting tired of them. This wasn’t so stellar I’d give it five stars, and it lost another half star because of a few little things, such as the odd time Georgie and Lucia talk in baby talk (perhaps this was done more among friends in the 1920s, but since that was before my parents’ time, I have no idea.) ( )
1 vote Karin7 | Jan 26, 2016 |
Fabulous, just fabulous! Small town life in England in the 1920s - everyone trying to one-up each other. It was funny and has fantastic characters, which was just what a needed right now. Looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  japaul22 | Jun 8, 2014 |
I read this as it was recommended as similar to P.G. Wodehouse. I didn't find it similar except that it was set at a similar time (1910?) and dealt with the travails of the upper middle class. A town is run by a middle aged social tyrant. Slowly the village slips from her iron fist when a famous opera singer comes to live in their town and disrupts all of the power structures. Eventually all is righted and she resumes controls and the opera singer leaves. Sort of interesting but I find the characters irritating rather than engaging. I don't think I will read any more in this series. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |

E. F. Bensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Though the sun was hot on this July morning Mrs. Lucas preferred to cover the half-mile that lay between the station and her house on her own feet, and sent on her maid and her luggage in the fly that her husband had ordered to meet her.

Edward Frederic Benson (24 July 1867 – 29 February 1940) was an English novelist, biographer, memoirist and short story writer, known professionally as E.F. Benson. His friends called him Fred.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:50 -0400)

England between the wars was a paradise of calm and leisure for the very, very rich. Into this enclave is born Mrs. Emmeline Lucas - La Lucia, as she is known - a woman determined to lead a life quite different from the subdued formality of her class. With her cohort, Georgie Pillson, and her husband, Peppino, Lucia upends the greats of high society: the imperious Lady Ambermere and her equally imperious dog, Pug; the odious Piggy and Goosie Antrobus; the Christian Scientist Daisy Quantrock, with her penchant for the foreign; and all the rest of the small English town that the British rich call their country home. Beset on all sides by pretenders to her social throne, Lucia brings culture, fine arts, excitement, and intrigue into this cloistered realm.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,427,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible