The Merchant's House-A Wesley Peterson…

The Merchant's House-A Wesley Peterson Mystery (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Kate Ellis (Author)

Member:Bookmarque
Title:The Merchant's House-A Wesley Peterson Mystery
Authors:Kate Ellis (Author)
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (1999), Edition: 1st, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery/detective, series, library, cop, British, 2017, 10/17

The Merchant's House by Kate Ellis (1998)

This is the first in a series set in Devon and featuring DS Wesley Peterson and his colleagues. Wesley's team investigates the murder of a young woman, while another team is trying to locate a missing toddler. Wesley studied archaeology at university and meets up with a friend, Neil, who is working on the site of a 17th century merchant's house. The chapter headings feature sections from the journal of said merchant, and these were interesting, although the sections where Wesley and Neil discuss the dig were not so interesting and didn't add anything to the story from my perspective; I would have been happier with just the modern day mystery.

I think I'll continue with these - I hope Wesley's wife cheers up, though! ( )
  pgchuis | Feb 22, 2018 |
Detective Sergeant Wesley Peterson investigates the death of a young woman linked to a missing child case on his first day after being transferred from London to Tradmouth in South Devon. Meanwhile, his friend Neil Watson finds a dead woman in an archaeological excavation. The woman died several centuries ago and it seems that she was murdered. Oddly enough seems it to be strange similarities with the two cases...

I read and loved The Death Season, book 19 in this series at the beginning of this year. And, so I decided to buy the first book in the series to get to know Wesley Peterson and the rest of the characters in the book from the beginning.

The crime in this book was not as complicated as it was in The Death Season, it was easy to figure out how it all had happened. I prefer to read a story with a lot of twist in it. Reading a book and guessing correctly most of what will happen is just not that fun.

What made this story a bit better is that Wesley Peterson also has a degree in archaeology and while he and his colleagues are trying to solve the death of a young woman is he and his friend Neil who is working as an archaeology trying to find out who killed a young woman several centuries ago. I like the fact that Kate Ellis both writes about modern crime and at the same time her books with Wesley Peterson also have some archaeology in it.

This book may not have been as good as The Death Season, but I will continue to read the series! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
I found this a very enjoyable mystery. Kate Ellis' book featuring a black police detective newly transferred from London to a small town, is a pleasant and easy read, it's perfect for the long commute to and from work. It has all of the characters that you would expect; a close friend from the past, who also happens to be working in this new town, providing the detective with an escape from work and personal stress; the moody wife; the easy-going and attractive new co-worker (perhaps a change of partners in a future book); the buddy boss and the racist co-worker. Kate Ellis intertwines her present day mystery, with an unsolved mystery from the past, with a present day mystery, and ties it all up neatly in the end.

Although the characters are fairly fundamental, and you will have solved the mystery before the final denouement, sometimes this type of novel is just what I need for relaxation and pure entertainment. I have no hesitation in adding the next book in the series to my reading list!

Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
This book introduces the characters in a new series. At this point they are still skin deep sketches. The mystery needed a bit of a jolt with a cattle prod to move it along a bit. All in all I would like to give the author and the characters another chance in the next book,THE ARMADA BOY. ( )
1 vote Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
The Merchant’s House by Kate Ellis is the first in her series featuring DS Wesley Peterson. Newly transferred to the port city of Tradmouth, Wesley’s first investigation is into the murder of an unknown women found beaten to death on a cliff side path. This isn’t the only major case the police are working on as a young child was abducted from his home just a couple of weeks earlier.

I found this to be a story that moved along at a steady pace, the reader is introduced to all the main characters and gets a feel for both the community and for Wesley‘s private life as well.. Wesley has a background in archaeology and this is introduced to the storyline in a seamless way that actually enhances the plot. Even though Tradmouth, Devon is a fictional setting, I found it realistic and well portrayed. The author’s descriptions left me eager to visit this area again.

Although I found the mystery fairly easy to figure out, I did enjoy how the past shadowed the future and how all the various plots entwined with each other eventually. This is definitely a series that I intend to follow along with as I enjoyed how the author unfolded both the historical aspect and the police procedural into a cohesive unit.. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Nov 26, 2011 |

Ellis, Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
August 31 The child flung his tricycle aside and toddled, laughing, towards the basking cat.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074995275X, Paperback)

Kate Ellis's wonderfully addictive series of West Country-set crime novels feature Wesley Peterson, one of Devon's first black detectives

A black policeman from the Met might expect to meet some resistance, when he's transferred to a West Country seaside town—but, for DS Wesley Peterson, it's like coming home. One of the first people he bumps into is an old friend—Neil is heading an archaeological dig at a Tudor merchant's house, and Wesley has to tear himself away to become involved in a major search for a missing child. The tension is mounting when a body is found—but to Wesley's relief it is turned up at Neil’s dig and is more than 400 years old. It seems to be a tragic murder nonetheless, for the bones are those of a strangled young woman and a newborn baby. When another, more recent body is found, the circumstances surrounding the child's disappearance become more complex, and Wesley is increasingly convinced that the age-old motives of jealousy, sexual obsession, and desperate longing for a child are behind the crimes—ancient and modern—that he must solve soon if further tragedy is to be averted.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:11 -0400)

The uncovery of two skeletons in the ruins of a seventeenth century manor house leads Detective Sergeant Wesley Peterson to solve a four hundred-year-old mystery that curiously parallels the abducted child case he is currently engaged in.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible