Quentins by Maeve Binchy

Quentins (original 2002; edition 2008)

by Maeve Binchy

Member:seasidereader
Title:Quentins
Authors:Maeve Binchy
Info:NAL Trade (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 403 pages
Rating:***1/2

Quentins by Maeve Binchy (2002)

English (28)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
Really quite dreadful in the most twee sort of way. It meadnered like crazy but somehow all these people are supposed to reconnect over their shared experience of Quentin's resteraunt, I guess where everyone in Dublin knows your name. Trite and insipid and Ella Brady even beats out Victoria whatshername in that Pilcher for stupid devotion to a worthless creep. She finally does the right thing in the end but my creep-o-meter was on full tilt the moment he appeared on the scene. Icky.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I'd forgotten just what a good writer she is. The plot, such as it is, is the least important thing in this wonderful collection of pen portraits and insights into the human condition. Read it! ( )
1 vote NaggedMan | Mar 18, 2014 |
I first listened to this as an Audio-book, but I know own a copy of the book too. Another typical Maeve Binchy novel, nice light reading, nothing that needs too much concentration, but pleasant nonetheless. ( )
  Fliss88 | Jan 27, 2014 |
This is a book that I keep on my shelf to read over and over. I think it was better the second or third time I read it. I love Binchy's descriptions.

The book is set in Dublin and the core of the book is a restaurant that figures prominently into the lives of the various characters. I like this book and have read it a number of times, because of the layering. There is a main story that brings all the characters together around the main character. But each person or group of people that interacts with the main character has a back story. The way Binchy has written the book makes it seem like there are a several short stories intertwined with the story of the novel. I also like it because several characters from Binchy's other book, Tara Road show up. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
I just discovered Maeve Binchy recently. I usually like historical fiction, but I really like her development of the characters. You really get to know them. This was a good read, although a little confusing at times. Wasn't always sure if we were in the present and focusing on the main character, Ella, or if it was about the Quentin's customers. I found the plot about Ella interesting and it held my interest through until the end of the story. The story about Quentin's was also interesting, but as I stated earlier, a reader really has to pay attention to the transitions. ( )
  alabraham | Jul 9, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451209907, Mass Market Paperback)

In Maeve Binchy's timely and topical tale, Quentins, Ella Brady is a documentary filmmaker who wants to bring the tale of the eponymous Dublin restaurant to the screen. Quentins has had its fair share of ups and downs over the years and has become the meeting point for a lot of characters, including some familiar faces from previous Binchy novels. As Ella makes more and more headway with her documentary, the secrets, betrayals, and stories of love that emerge make her question whether or not she wants to bring the tale of Quentins to the screen after all; especially as she is also forced to confront a devastating dilemma from her own past.

Regarded by many as the true queen of the romantic Irish drama, Binchy has once again produced another fine page-turner that will please her army of loyal fans and hopefully win her many more. She has a real eye for character and exploring the often painful choices people are forced to make in their everyday lives. This is a tale of normal people, ordinary folk and the heartaches that have made them who they are. Fans will welcome the return of some familiar Binchy characters and Ella is a strong, likeable heroine, a woman who, in exploring the lives of these people, is forced to consider some choices she has made in her own life. So make a reservation at Quentins, sit back, and relax--you'll be in very good company. --Jane Warren, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:02 -0400)

Ella wants to make a documentary film about a famous Dublin restaurant from the 1970s to the present day. Then she begins to wonder if some secrets should be kept.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible