dismiss

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 (1953)

by Ray Bradbury

41,57481023 (4.03)1 / 1294
The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires, and he enjoys his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs nor the joy of watching pages consumed by flames. He never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid and a professor who told him of a future in which people could think. Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do.… (more)
    1984 by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    A Gift upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Morteana)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jlynno84)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    Shadowlife by Martin Grzimek (spiphany)
    The Acolyte by Craig Davidson (ShelfMonkey)

1950s (1)
Read (40)

English (748)  Spanish (21)  Italian (12)  French (6)  Finnish (5)  German (5)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (808)
I really wanted to read this book because it is an American classic. However, it seems that some books were written to be discussed (not just merely read) or else you lose part of the book's essence. I think that is the case here.

The book presented an interesting paradox (no doubt much more compelling 50 years ago) but still has application is the education world.

Overall, glad I read it but, to be perfectly honest, I was a bit bored throughout most of the book. Perhaps an accompanying discussion would have assisted in the book's likeability. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books. It begins with Guy Montag, a fireman whose job is to burn books. On his way home from a burning, he meets an interesting girl named Clarisse McClellan, who talks about strange but interesting subjects. When he returns home, he sees that his wife, Mildred, has overdosed on her pills and that she must be taken to the hospital. After that, he goes to another burning and sees a woman burn herself alive along with her book. Perplexed, he secretly takes one of her books home with him. Mildred doesn't really care about his distressed state, and it doesn't get any better when he hears that Clarisse was killed and that their family moved away four days ago. He then talks to Beatty, the fire captain, who talks about how books became useless due to people's increasing interest in T.V. After he leaves, Montag show Mildred the book he kept, along with many others he hid in the air conditioning vent. Mildred wants to burn them, but Montag says that they should read them first and see if there is anything interesting about them. They discuss the books, with Montag infuriated by Mildred's ignorance. He then goes on a rant about many things wrong with the world, like the pending war and how Mildred attempted suicide. He thinks that books may be the answer to the insane world, but she doesn't care. He then seeks out Faber, an old English professor before books were banned. He goes there on the metro along with the book he took from the burning woman's house, the Bible. He has a kind of breakdown on the train and when he arrives, he manages to recruit Faber's help by ripping pages out of the Bible. Faber gives him an earpiece so they can keep in touch. Montag takes a book and goes back to the fire house to confront Beatty. Beatty burns the book and talks about a dream he had before the are summoned to burn a house: Montag's. At his house, Mildred leaves, to sad about the loss pf her "parlor family" to care about anything else. Betty makes Montag burn the house, but discovers his hidden earpiece. Beatty plans to hunt down Faber, but Guy burns him and the rest of the firemen along with a mechanical hound. He then escapes to Faber's, taking some books in his backyard with him. There, he sees that another hound is after him. Faber gives him clothes and advice on what to do, and sends Montag off before removing his scent from the house. He manages to escape to the river near the edge of town which sweeps him away. He then meet many like-minded people who memorized books in the hopes of re-printing them in the future. As the city is destroyed by a nuke, they all talk about what to do next as they head towards the ruined city. I enjoyed this book because of the themes. It paints a future where everyone is always learning useless facts to keep the peace. The main entertainment is the parlor where the walls are giant screens for shows and news. The only books are cartoons and s*x magazines. No real literature is allowed, to prevent arguments. The people basically live a false freedom without even knowing. This paints a future that looks good on the surface but is filled with flaws. ( )
  CMcEwen.ELA4 | May 26, 2020 |
A beautiful book, though somewhat surrealistic from time to time. To me, it seemed like that the writer is quite deliberately staying away from cold, hard realism consciously while trying to express his feelings clearly. Well, at least I think he succeeded in that, and I think even if this might not be the imminent future, it predicts at least a part of it. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
The writing is stylistically compelling and it serves an original story with power. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
As a reader delves deeper into Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's amazing writing empowers him or her to find the meaning that resonates with his or her reality. This book has been defined as a Dystopian Science Fiction about strange place where firemen burn books! So different from our world. But as we go deeper, we realize that a lot of things in this dystopian world are not that different from the very world we live in. And thus, this book is a social commentary and a cautionary tale of signals that we should be weary about. Some of the problemetic themes that this book deals with are widely available in our world:

Commercialisation of religion
Mindless neverending entertainment
Generalisation of the idea of “Normal”
Avoiding to acknowledge any form of “Diversity”
Rote learning over critical thinking
Lack of quality family time and emotional bankruptcy.
Increasing focus on virtual life over reality (could be compared to social media dependency)
The fast pace of life where everyone is in a hurry, always running short of time, unable to enjoy small pleasures
Increase in use of twisted information to manipulate men (can be compared to use of wide spread propaganda and fake news)
Lack of empathy towards fellow human beings.

This is a thought-provoking book. I have discussed these themes along with Ray Bradbury's explanation of several symbolisms in details at https://sattasi.wordpress.com/2020/05/10/fahrenheit-451/
Feel free to drop by and share your thoughts. ( )
  SP_fah | May 11, 2020 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
أحمد خالد توفيقTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.

"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave.

AR level 5.2, 7 pts
A fireman burns books
But then he dares to read one
And goes on the lam
(DarrylLundy)

3 2068

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,427,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible