Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 (original 1953; edition 1987)

by Ray Bradbury

39,44677024 (4.03)1 / 1263
Member:ellisonite
Title:Fahrenheit 451
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Del Rey (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Author) (1953)

1984 by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    A Gift upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Morteana)
    The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jlynno84)
    Too Loud A Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SandSing7)
    Shadowlife by Martin Grzimek (spiphany)

1950s (1)
Read (40)

English (710)  Spanish (20)  Italian (12)  Finnish (5)  German (5)  French (5)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (768)
I really liked this story. It reminded me of 1984, but with a little bit more hope at the end. I would sure hope that I would be one of the book rebels discovered in the end who have memorized a story, but I hope more that civilization will not come down to that instead. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
I'm torn, the first half I was bored and I cringed with some lines, characters were kind of one note, all of them, but is that a bad thing? For the story written here it did work and it was obviously intentional, what is then my main grip with the book? The prose I guess, I didn't like it, I didn't enjoy it, at all, it felt weird, awkward, slurred.

The second half was more entertaining, the Hound chase was very suspenseful even though I don't normally can much for actions scenes, but then we get to the Book People and it... It's still a good idea but doesn't manage to keep it together, trying to infuse a little logic into this plot makes it fall apart, Guy is way too rash to read hte book to the women, and after he visits Faber wouldn't the police find that a man sprinkling his garden at such hour is suspicious as hell? Maybe they didn't care, they obviously didn't care to keep looking for Guy after he left the city.

You can't memorize a book entire, they group talks about techniques and stuff that sounds like bullshit and is never properly explained (granted, there was no need) and keeping a chapter here and another there is impractical, we would still lose an enormous amount of good important books, the plan is bullshit, in the extras of my book it said that one editor thought it would be best if it was shown that the Book People in fact misremebered the books, that they twisted them up, confused them up, and that would have been good for shock value but wouldn't really fix the problem with the narrative neither.

I find myself thinking that these is an amazing book if you agree with what it has to say but just ok if you don't, it's a trip that's for sure, but it's mostly a sermon, Bradbury says he doesn't want to convince anyone but he obviously does, that reminds of that great phrase from Faber (paraphrased of course) "decided what you want but remember the other guy is the enemy of all that's good and an asshole", that sound passive aggressive really, that's how Bradbury sounded to me in the book.

Maybe I have more faith in people that him, I don't believe we could get to that point, the intellectuals will always fight, because you can't exterminate them, and no one really cares that much about them, in the book is the masses that turn their backs to reading, that start the witch hunting, but people read more now that they did then, because it's more accesible now, you don't need so much money to buy every book, or time to go to the library, everybody has a cellphone or a pc and if you don't have money you can pirate them.

I can believe that people like Mildred can exist but not that they can be so widespread.

And the television argument is an antiquated one, there is very high quality TV now, and I'm sure this is just the beginning, and even if you watch soap opera they don't rot your brain, they being the only thing you watch is what rots it, and that's your and only your prerogative.

I'll give it 3 stars.

(Also I'm an idiot and I thought until the very end this was written by Orwell and I couldn't understand why the writing style was so different and I was disliking it so much) ( )
  Rose999 | Jun 28, 2019 |
Brilliant, simply brilliant. Split into three parts, it tells of a dystopian United States where censorship of ideas and thought has been taken to the extreme.

Guy Montag is a fireman in this distant, dystopian future. In this future lacking morality and values, people don't listen to one another; they have nothing to say. Everything is media-controlled and vacuous. The people are all technicians, not caring why something is done but only how.

In the future, firemen burn books and the houses that contain them. Guy Montag did this happily with a song in his heart until one fateful day. He meets a high school girl that claims to be an odd duck. She is unique among her peers you see, she actually thinks and wants to know the whys of things. Her name is Clarisse, and from the time Guy meets her, he finds her to be enchanting. Clarisse reciprocates this because even though he is a fireman, he listens to what she has to say.

Guy begins to look forward to talking with Clarisse, since he finds her to be a breath of fresh air from Mildred, his wife. This is not surprising, since Mildred never really seems to care for Guy. She is happy with her "television" and "radio." I put it in quotes because Bradbury had a term for the technology but I don't remember what he calls it. To further the alienation of this society, we are treated to disturbing images right off the bat. Mildred ODs on sleeping pills and Guy is in time to save her. However, what saves her is not medical knowledge as we would know it, but a technician with a machine. They pump her stomach and change her fluids out for new stuff. The most terrible part of this is that Mildred doesn't care.

For a while he talks with Clarisse as he is coming home, only to find that she has been killed somehow. It is never explicitly stated how, but you are left to assume that her peers ran her over in a vehicle while she was out enjoying nature or something like that.

So Guy has been doing something that is forbidden in this society, Guy is thinking. Thinking about why he does what he does. Especially after an event with one woman that he truly can't forget. He has also been hoarding books. Not reading them, of course, but even having them is a crime, since thinking might make people feel superior to others. All in all, the society wants people to be happy, and people want to be happy. You can't be happy if you think about things.

So this path that Guy has taken is one that bites the fireman every once in a while. The Chiefs of the Department are told the whole truth of the matter, and quell questions among the ranks. So. Guy finds a book that this aforementioned woman had in her house, a copy of the Holy Bible. So he begins to read portions of it to himself. He also has another confidant in his quest, a former English Professor named Faber.

So Guy begins to read the books he has hoarded and makes his wife an accomplice. She doesn't particularly like to think about things though. She is much happier with the television or picture wall. He has memorized parts of the Bible through and through, which is somewhat interesting seeing as how he didn't have much time for that.

The book finally culminates in a scene where Guy has his own house targeted by the Firemen. The chief himself is a reader, or he could not have quoted Shakespeare, but that isn't really important. So Guy is exposed and on the run. He realizes that the youth of today feel nothing and care not, seeing as how they almost ran him over in their vehicle. So Guy escapes by way of river and finally reaches a place where men that have not forgotten live. They have fragments and pieces of great literature all in their heads. Guy has remembered parts of the Bible, so he joins them and waits for a time when society is ready to come out of the Dark Ages.

All throughout, the tension and atmosphere hang about the story like a haze. Bradbury captures feelings and thoughts quite well. I really tore through this book, and my only complaint is that it isn't longer somehow. Then again, it feels complete. Nothing needs to be added to it. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Hats off to Mr. Bradbury for delivering this timeless story that is just as applicable today as it was sixty years ago.

p_r_a_x_i_s | Jun 11, 2019 |
It's a classic, what can I say? How can this book not speak to every "reader"? If Bradbury's vision ever came to pass, they'd just have to burn me...because they'd damn well never get their hands on my books any other way!

In a recent interview with Bradbury he stated that they are doing a new movie of Fahrenheit 451 to be directed by Frank Darabont who did The Shawshank Redemption...I'll be looking forward to that. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Bradbury, RayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.
"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave.

AR level 5.2, 7 pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345342968, Mass Market Paperback)

In Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's classic, frightening vision of the future, firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn books. Bradbury's vividly painted society holds up the appearance of happiness as the highest goal--a place where trivial information is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad. Fire Captain Beatty explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family," imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbor Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature.

Bradbury--the author of more than 500 short stories, novels, plays, and poems, including The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man--is the winner of many awards, including the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America. Readers ages 13 to 93 will be swept up in the harrowing suspense of Fahrenheit 451, and no doubt will join the hordes of Bradbury fans worldwide. --Neil Roseman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

For use in schools and libraries only. A totalitarian regime has ordered all books to be destroyed, but one of the book burners suddenly realizes their merit.

3 1972

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,507,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible