Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 (original 1953; edition 1980)

by Ray Bradbury

39,12876423 (4.03)1 / 1259
Member:beefviper
Title:Fahrenheit 451
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Del Rey (1980), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopia

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Author) (1953)

1984 by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    A Gift Upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Morteana)
    The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (sturlington)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    Too Loud A Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    Shadowlife by Martin Grzimek (spiphany)
    The Acolyte by Craig Davidson (ShelfMonkey)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    The Book by M. Clifford (elbakerone)

1950s (1)
Read (40)

English (704)  Spanish (20)  Italian (12)  Finnish (5)  German (5)  French (5)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (762)
I found this story interesting, but it lacked a certain hope, for me.
Shira "Holocene/Human Era" Destinie
23 June, 12015 HE ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Hard to believe I’ve never read this classic before. The book opens to make the reader question what he or she is reading. It has a crazed, abstract poetry to it. Gradually, it dawns the story is about much more than is seemingly on the page, questioning the meaning of books, the attention span of society, of works shortened, condensed into snippets, even of politics, censorship and, ultimately, war. The book feels timeless yet never more timely than now, speaking of people turning from books to technology. This story is visionary. Clarisse McClellan: ‘She didn’t want to know how a thing was done but why.’ Fantastic line. Even better ones: ‘If you don’t want a man unhappy politically, don’t give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none.’ This on a page well worth reading alone. A subliminal work perhaps, certainly supreme. Some say works of fiction aren’t real but no fictional work can get more real than this. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | May 14, 2019 |
Better than I thought it would be -- I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. ( )
  Terrencee | May 8, 2019 |
Well thank you Jeff Bezos & Amazon for the refund yet again !
Bradbury’s delivers a futuristic dystopian world where books are banned and intellectuals & free thinkers are ostracized and hunted down by govt forces into hiding in which a fireman , the protagonist (who literally set’s fires to books) Guy Montague has an epiphany where he realizes the futility of his current vapid pathetic existence and “awakens” and decides to rebel .

Problem is there is just no story , lacks ideological backbone ; The book is filled with poetic literature sort of verbiage but no substance . Baffles me how people compare Bradbury’s novel to Huxley’s Brave New World . ( )
  Vik.Ram | May 5, 2019 |
I wish Mr Bradbury were still alive so I could tell him how much I enjoy his use of the English language... ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Bradbury, RayAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.
"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave.

AR level 5.2, 7 pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345342968, Mass Market Paperback)

In Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's classic, frightening vision of the future, firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn books. Bradbury's vividly painted society holds up the appearance of happiness as the highest goal--a place where trivial information is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad. Fire Captain Beatty explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family," imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbor Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature.

Bradbury--the author of more than 500 short stories, novels, plays, and poems, including The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man--is the winner of many awards, including the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America. Readers ages 13 to 93 will be swept up in the harrowing suspense of Fahrenheit 451, and no doubt will join the hordes of Bradbury fans worldwide. --Neil Roseman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Fireman Guy Montag is a fireman whose job it is to start fires. And he loves to rush to a fire and watch books burn, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Then he meets a seventeen-year old girl who tells him of a past when people were not afraid, and a professor who tells him of a future where people can think. And Guy Montag knows what he has to do ...… (more)

3 1959

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible