Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 (original 1953; edition 1987)

by Ray Bradbury

30,59655126 (4.04)1 / 948
Member:Euryale
Title:Fahrenheit 451
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:
Rating:****1/2
Tags:classic, dystopia, school, science fiction

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953)

1950s (1)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, RosyLibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SandSing7)
    A Gift upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    Too loud a solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jlynno84)
    The World of Null-A by A. E. Van Vogt (jeroenvandorp)
    Year of Consent by Kendell Foster Crossen (Sylak)

English (509)  Italian (10)  Spanish (9)  Finnish (5)  French (4)  German (4)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (549)
An orgy of words. And proof that the more things change, the more they stay the same. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
No doubt this is a classic and epic story that has made a massive impact on literature in general and science fiction specifically. But it is also a simple and a bit naïve and predictable story. I am amazed by the visionary writing - a good number of predictions made in 1950 has come true in 2014 - but I found the first half somewhat dreary and the second half a bit preachy. Still, I was moved by the story, the ingenuity of the book burning idea in particular, and the ending definitely made me think. I am glad I have read it, but while George Orwell's 1984 was life changing, Fahrenheit 451 is merely fascinating. ( )
  petterw | Oct 19, 2014 |
An incredibly solid book, that encapsulates the society that we live in, even though it was written over 60 years ago. We've become so absorbed with the technology world around us, our attention spans are getting shorter, we only ever want the most briefest of informations. To be able to have 'knowledge' without effort, and to talk without discrimination. This book discusses, and raises many points along these lines. Can we truly understand the totalitarian nature of the media? Newspapers are dying. Why? People want a faster, easier solution. Technology is drowning our world, and this book shows the eventuality of this fact. That if we allow books to die, what will happen. This book is a perfect example, and tool to understand the worlds of the people that live in places like North Korea and China. Places where having a bible is a crime, and you'll be arrested without trial. We see throughout this extraordinary book, a writing style that is very rare within this modern society. One that grips the imagination, and draws you in. Where everything is talked about in descriptive language, metaphors, and similes, and words that aren't associated to anything within the book, but are left for us to hold, and associate to what we believe it might be, through our own understanding of the world around us, in our context. One of the things that I loved throughout the entire book, was the concept of a 'spark'. We it through the burning of the books, through a child, Clarisse, that Guy Montag meets, being the spark to his thoughts. The concepts of different fires, but with the overarching theme that fire, is cleansing. I would recommend this book to anyone, because even though it is a 'classic', and a very different writing style, it is an easy read, that doesn't require much thought. ( )
  Adurna101 | Oct 1, 2014 |
A classic. Steeped in metaphor. Confusing language. And not a bad book. Its brevity was welcomed as it told a certain story. It set it up in the first part, broke it donw in the second, and burned it to all hell in the third. The more i think on it the more i question and think and question and think, which i suppose is always a good thing. The ending (i am sure back then was unique) seems a bit commercially produced, but i guess movies and books end that way for a reason...

It was a pleasure to burn... ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
Good book. Writing was great, perhaps a little self indulgent at times. The only problem I had was with the conflicting philosophies, a little shallow at times to be so concerned with the individual and his ability to think critically then at the end sort of delve into the wicked notion of self sacrifice. I know the story called for it, to some extent it may have been necessary, the story is the master after all.

But over all a very well written and instructive, if not frightening, book. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Ray Bradbury has more than ideas, and that is what sets him apart from most writers who try to be original. He is fantastic, and human. He never looks at anything with a jaded eye; he is a storyteller every minute of the time, and he is definitely his own kind of storyteller.
added by Shortride | editLos Angeles Times, Don Guzman (pay site) (Oct 25, 1953)

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robillot, HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stangl, KatrinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.

"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave. This book made me realize how much I should appreciate a good solid book and made me weary of what our world could come to in the future with the increase in technology and the disappearance in the amount of some books.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345342968, Mass Market Paperback)

In Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's classic, frightening vision of the future, firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn books. Bradbury's vividly painted society holds up the appearance of happiness as the highest goal--a place where trivial information is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad. Fire Captain Beatty explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family," imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbor Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature.

Bradbury--the author of more than 500 short stories, novels, plays, and poems, including The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man--is the winner of many awards, including the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America. Readers ages 13 to 93 will be swept up in the harrowing suspense of Fahrenheit 451, and no doubt will join the hordes of Bradbury fans worldwide. --Neil Roseman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

Fireman Guy Montag is a fireman whose job it is to start fires. And he loves to rush to a fire and watch books burn, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Then he meets a seventeen-year old girl who tells him of a past when people were not afraid, and a professor who tells him of a future where people can think. And Guy Montag knows what he has to do ...… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,337,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible