Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 (original 1953; edition 2001)

by Ray Bradbury, Joseph Mugnaini (dj) (Illustrator)

31,72558324 (4.03)1 / 1035
Member:karmabodhi
Title:Fahrenheit 451
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Joseph Mugnaini (dj) (Illustrator)
Info:Ballantine (2001), Edition: BoMC, Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:classic, satire, futuristic

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953)

Recently added bynovewong, beebowallace, private library, DBeaulieu, Artur, agapoglou7, Ellie.Pelto, teafool445
Legacy LibrariesCarson McCullers
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    A Gift upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SandSing7)
    The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    Too loud a solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jlynno84)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    The Acolyte by Nick Cutter (ShelfMonkey)
    The World of Null-A by A. E. Van Vogt (jeroenvandorp)

1950s (1)
Read (39)
Unread books (1,019)

English (538)  Italian (10)  Spanish (10)  Finnish (5)  French (4)  German (4)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (579)
Book burning Firemen Montag escapes outside city in future to discover other book lovers; (9) "Classic novel of censorship & defiance" ( )
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
I am so glad that I decided to read this book! I absolutely loved it. I would even say that it is one of my all time favourites.

[a:Ray Bradbury|1630|Ray Bradbury|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1361491094p2/1630.jpg] was an amazing writer. He captured relearning how to think perfectly. It makes the book so much more authentic for the dystopia he has created. It is fascinating to watch Guy Montag's thoughts progress throughout the course of the novel. Although, to me, it was fairly obvious that Clarisse was the trigger for thinking, I didn't envision her dying. I thought she was going to be involved in Montag's journey--more than the spark, but even though she dies, Montag brings her along for his journey any ways. At the turning points in the novel, where Montag could have just given up he thinks of her. Mildred's fate is definitely a sad one, however from what we know of her she has pretty much already died. Her role in the novel (I think) is to show the way that the society has mind washed the people. She blindly follows orders, she doesn't think, she spends her days glued to the massive TV's that she calls her 'family'. Her overdose at the beginning of the novel, to me, signified that she, as a unique person, had died. She had to have her blood pumped out or she would have died. So she, from that point on, became completely dependant on the government. The concepts introduced in [b:Fahrenheit 451|4381|Fahrenheit 451|Ray Bradbury|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351643740s/4381.jpg|1272463] are quite elaborate ideas, but then again The internet would have been science-fiction 200 years ago. I do love that the TV's interact with the viewer personally. I think in order to brainwash the masses, as is done in the novel, that would most definitely play a crucial part. The idea of the 'Hounds' is an extremely scary one, if that technology was to actually exist, anyone could kill someone while sitting at home. All it takes is the persons unique scent. Faber is a great representation of the previous generation. His character gives insight into the transition age. He grew up in a time that still had books and free thinking. At first I though the men that Montag meets on the other side of the river were just fugitives, but when they introduce their 'book-selves' their role in the correction of the dystopian society is made much clearer. I love that they are just planning on waiting the war out and passing their knowledge down. Granger is probably my favourite of the 'Travelling Books', his comparison of our history to the Phoenix is beautiful. It's not often that a dystopian society is sent on the correct path again in such a philosophical manner.
There was a silly damn bird called a Phoenix back before Christ, every few hundred years he built a pyre and burned himself up...And it looks like we're doing the same thing, over and over.

momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
The most brilliant point in the book (about 10 pages from the end) is when Bradbury describes humans as "dust jackets for books." And that's why he is one of the greatest literary American voices of the 20th century. ( )
  Jared_Runck | Jun 12, 2015 |
Fahrenheit 451 is a great book that I didn't appreciate when I had to read it for school when I was younger. I am so glad I decided to read it again and actually finish it this time. A society that only wants the good and action pack, no time for thoughts or things that don't affect them right this second. It's an extreme version of where we are at today. I don't think we'll ever have a group of people to burn books, but a lot about the masses in Fahrenheit 451 mirror what people are like today. Kind of scary. Some parts were confusing and jumpy, like there were hints of war coming up but at the end it just seemed so sudden and the "outlaws" already had a plan in tact and Guy got there in the nick of time after realizing he needs things to change. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
I wonder whether or not Ray Bradbury was able to see into the future. We certainly don't burn books en masse as in the case of Guy Montag, but ever-present television has come to invade all elements of Western life.

My favorite part of this book is the discussion of the two political candidates, Hoag and Noble. Hoag is short, fat, and unattractive, while Noble plays the part of a good looking and well dressed young politician. No discussion of anything resembling goals, policies, or visions, just amazement among several of the characters that anyone would ever consider voting for somebody that looked like Hoag.

In other words, ignorance is bad, folks. If there's anything to be taken away from Bradbury's work, it's that books help people escape ignorance and live a more fulfilled life. Most of the characters in this book have never read anything other than headlines from the evening news, and their lives are incredibly empty and confused for it. A few examples - the regularity and blase nature that people go out for 100 mph car rides in the middle of the night to escape sadness, an incredibly high suicide rate, total detachment from actual emotional connections with other people, the list goes on.

The book has holes, but it's value overcomes all of that. A must read.

4/5 for a strong message, well rounded characters, and a unique storyline ( )
1 vote bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Ray Bradbury has more than ideas, and that is what sets him apart from most writers who try to be original. He is fantastic, and human. He never looks at anything with a jaded eye; he is a storyteller every minute of the time, and he is definitely his own kind of storyteller.
added by Shortride | editLos Angeles Times, Don Guzman (pay site) (Oct 25, 1953)

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robillot, HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stangl, KatrinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.

"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345342968, Mass Market Paperback)

In Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's classic, frightening vision of the future, firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn books. Bradbury's vividly painted society holds up the appearance of happiness as the highest goal--a place where trivial information is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad. Fire Captain Beatty explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family," imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbor Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature.

Bradbury--the author of more than 500 short stories, novels, plays, and poems, including The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man--is the winner of many awards, including the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America. Readers ages 13 to 93 will be swept up in the harrowing suspense of Fahrenheit 451, and no doubt will join the hordes of Bradbury fans worldwide. --Neil Roseman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Fireman Guy Montag is a fireman whose job it is to start fires. And he loves to rush to a fire and watch books burn, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Then he meets a seventeen-year old girl who tells him of a past when people were not afraid, and a professor who tells him of a future where people can think. And Guy Montag knows what he has to do ...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,978,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible