Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Farenheit 451 (original 1953; edition 2004)

by Ray Bradbury

31,38057525 (4.03)1 / 1022
Member:Muriel743
Title:Farenheit 451
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Del Rey (2004), Paperback
Rating:*****

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (1953)

Recently added bydigicura, ClarissaJohal, j_blett, private library, mamelotti, reynoldjay, amyjohines, maliora, KarenFrank
Legacy LibrariesCarson McCullers
    1984 by George Orwell (readafew, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (thekoolaidmom)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Smiler69)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (ateolf)
    Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: A great study of how Bradbury came to write Fahrenheit 451 as a progress through his own short stories, letters and drafts. A similar collection of stories but without some of the other material is also available as "A Pleasure To Burn"
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (goodiegoodie, kristenn)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    The October Country by Ray Bradbury (Booksloth)
    The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan (bertilak)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (SandSing7)
    A Gift upon the Shore by M. K. Wren (lquilter)
    lquilter: "A Gift Upon the Shore" is a post-apocalyptic world; some people seek to preserve books and knowledge, but they are seen as a danger to others. Beautifully written.
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (andja)
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    Too loud a solitude by Bohumil Hrabal (edwinbcn)
    A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-day Iraq by Fernando Báez (bertilak)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jlynno84)
    The World of Null-A by A. E. Van Vogt (jeroenvandorp)
    Year of Consent by Kendell Foster Crossen (Sylak)

1950s (1)
Read (39)

English (531)  Italian (10)  Spanish (9)  Finnish (5)  French (4)  German (4)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (571)
Uma excelente alegoria sobre os perigos do anti-intelectualismo e da censura, razoavelmente bem fundamentada. Mas não se iguala a 1984 (Orwell), Nós (Zamyatin) e Admirável Mundo Novo (Huxley), que pensaram questões filosóficas em nível mais elevado e nos deram cenários mais plausíveis nos quais o espírito humano é destroçado. Fahrenheit 451 é antes um sinal de alerta, simplista e de foco mais estreito. Também excessivamente didático, pouco nuançado, nada sutil quanto à formulação de sua mensagem. Faltou-lhe o verniz filosófico - de resto super-abundante na ficção contemporânea (p.ex. em The Matrix) - de outras distopias. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
I would have expected this pretentious crap from hacks like Ayn Rand. I suppose my memories of loving to read Ray Bradbury as a teenager could have been chalked up to naive ignorance. This would not have been the first book I've re-read and changed my rating. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Impressed me when I was young and reading everything by Bradbury because I'd loved Dandelion Wine so much, and also impressed me when I read it because our library was promoting it as a community read. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |

Guy Montag is a fireman, but not like the firemen we know. In his world, where television rules and literature is on the brink of extinction, firemen start fires rather than put them out. His job is to destroy the most illegal of commodities, the printed book, along with the houses in which they are hidden. Montag never questions the destruction and ruin his actions produce, returning each day to his bland life and wife, Mildred, who spends all day with her television “family.” But then he meets an eccentric young neighbor, Clarisse, who introduces him to a past where people didn’t live in fear and to a present where one sees the world through the ideas in books instead of the mindless chatter of television.

This is a classic, and a great one to read and reread. Bradbury takes a believable world, and chooses a possible path to a future that no one should want to exist. It's a great example of why I love scifi books. It's the chance to look around and ask what if. Then, you can take that what if and run. Here, the idea of people watching more television and eventually stop reading changes how life is lived. We follow Montag who goes from unquestioning, no-thought living to wanting to read. He begins to look around and see the world he lives in to find things that are better than walls that are televisions. He learns to question things. It shows a very believable future that can still happen if tv's grow so large they take up entire walls (how far are we really from this already?), pop culture being more important that reading and learning (practically there), and thoughtful consideration being so discouraged it's illegal.
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Classique parmi les classiques, Fahrenheit 451 est à la SF ce que le Dracula de Stocker est au fantastique. Cette œuvre est une contre-utopie à la mesure du Meilleur des mondes de Huxley ou à 1984 de Orwell. C’est dire…

This intriguing idea might well serve as a foundation on which to build a worst of all possible worlds. And to a certain extent it does not seem implausible. Unfortunately, Bradbury goes little further than his basic hypothesis. The rest of the equation is jerry-built.

Ray Bradbury has more than ideas, and that is what sets him apart from most writers who try to be original. He is fantastic, and human. He never looks at anything with a jaded eye; he is a storyteller every minute of the time, and he is definitely his own kind of storyteller.
added by Shortride | editLos Angeles Times, Don Guzman (pay site) (Oct 25, 1953)

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robillot, HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stangl, KatrinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"If they give you ruled paper,
write the other way."
Juan Ramón Jiménez
FAHRENHEIT 451:
the temperature at which
book-paper catches fire and burns
This one, with gratitude,
is for
Don Congdon
It was a pleasure to burn.
It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.
But that's the wonderful things about man; he never gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all over again, because he knows very well it is important and worth the doing.
But remember that the Captain belongs to the most dangerous enemy of truth and freedom, the solid unmoving cattle of the majority. Oh, God, the terrible tyranny of the majority.
I'm afraid of children my own age. they kill each other. Did it always use to be that way? My uncle says no. Six of my firends have been shot in the last year alone. Ten of them died in car wrecks. I'm afraid of them and they don't like me because I'm afraid. My uncle says his grandfather remembered when children didn't kill each other. But that was a long time ago when they had things different. They believed in responsibility, my uncle says. Do you know, I'm responsible. I was spanked when I needed it, years ago. And I do all the shopping and housecleaning by hand.
The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through the radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't know this, of course you still can't understand what I mean when I say all this.
This is the original novel by Ray Bradbury, not the 1966 film directed by François Truffaut or any other adaptation.

"The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning... along with the houses in which they were hidden." Fahrenheit 451 is an enlightening story that is almost daunting. In a place where firemen build fires to burn books, this story is somewhat forboding because although it may seem extreme, it causes the reader to look at how much we take books and freedom for granted. Guy Montag goes outside the norm of a society where relationships are based on material things in order to try to discover how life would be if one were to actually think and live for themselves instead of being told what to do and how to behave. This book made me realize how much I should appreciate a good solid book and made me weary of what our world could come to in the future with the increase in technology and the disappearance in the amount of some books.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345342968, Mass Market Paperback)

In Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's classic, frightening vision of the future, firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn books. Bradbury's vividly painted society holds up the appearance of happiness as the highest goal--a place where trivial information is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad. Fire Captain Beatty explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family," imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbor Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature.

Bradbury--the author of more than 500 short stories, novels, plays, and poems, including The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man--is the winner of many awards, including the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America. Readers ages 13 to 93 will be swept up in the harrowing suspense of Fahrenheit 451, and no doubt will join the hordes of Bradbury fans worldwide. --Neil Roseman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

Fireman Guy Montag is a fireman whose job it is to start fires. And he loves to rush to a fire and watch books burn, along with the houses in which they were hidden. Then he meets a seventeen-year old girl who tells him of a past when people were not afraid, and a professor who tells him of a future where people can think. And Guy Montag knows what he has to do ...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,709,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible