Insects: A Guide to Familiar American…

Insects: A Guide to Familiar American Insects

by Herbert Spencer Zim, Clarence Cottam

Series: Golden Guides (Nature), Golden Nature Guides

The Golden Guides, I’ve found, are a joy to get a quick overview of one subject or another. The fact that they’re pocket-sized also makes them great.

In this volume, Zim et al. present the great wide world of insects, being careful to avoid most non-insect arthropods (though giving them a shout-out when necessary). I learned quite a bit from the few pages this book contained, especially that most of the scary-looking decoration that bugs have isn’t for ruining our lives if we try to pick them up. It’s mostly for show. Good to know next time I want to pick up a rhinoceros beetle!

I think that this book would make an excellent gift to a child interested in the world of insects, and that it would make a fantastic springboard into a long-term interest, if not career, in entomology (the bug one, not the word one). It’s also fine for adults as well. ( )
  aethercowboy | Dec 28, 2012 |
I acquired this book when I was a mere lad, and I'm still fascinated by it. It has some great information about bugs. ( )
  ostrom | Dec 13, 2007 |

Herbert Spencer Zimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cottam, Clarencemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Irving, James GordonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By dealing with only common, important, and showy insects, this book will help a novice begin a fascinating study.
Foreword: This book is one of the most ambitious attempted in the Golden Nature Guide series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030724055X, Paperback)

Enjoy and Learn!
Expert Knowledge!
Easy-to-Read!

This handy guide to the most common, important and showy North American insects will help the novice begin a fascinating study. Includes:
A key to insect groups
Mature and immature forms
How insects grow and develop and what they eat
How to find and observe them

Full color pictures, nontechnical language, and up-to-date range maps make this a gem of a guide for beginners at any age.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

A guide to North American insects which gives popular name, describes life and reproduction cycles and feeding habits, and includes a range guide.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible