Texasville by Larry McMurtry

Info:Pocket Books (1990), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:genre - fiction, location - americas - us

Texasville by Larry McMurtry

As I slowly read more of Larry McMurtry’s books, I become even fonder of his style, both in fiction and nonfiction. His prose flows easily and evenly, never wandering off-course. In fiction, his dialogue is strong and real, sparkling with pithy responses and smart banter. This book follows Duane Moore, some 30 years after the point where The Last Picture Show left off, as he stares down bankruptcy in the wake of the oil bust. Duane lives in a ridiculously large house with his beautiful, restless wife Karla, and at varying times, most of his endearingly flawed children. The book offers a true insider’s view of life in small-town Texas, illustrated primarily through the continuously shifting relationships of the town’s inhabitants. At the center is Duane, who spends much of his time either worrying about going broke or assessing his standing with the various women in his life. It’s easy to root for Duane and the rest of Thalia’s citizens, as they each confront their own private (and, whether they like it or not, often public) crises. After all, they’re only trying to get by and make sense of it all, maybe hoping to have a little fun along the way, just like the rest of us. And who can fault them for that? ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
I really like Larry McMurtry's output, but this one only gets three stars because, although it is funny, at 500 pages we hear far too much about middle-aged Duane Moore. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
(09 April 2000, America)

A re-read of this second book in the Last Picture Show series, as I build up to reading the newly acquired fourth and fifth volumes. It’s thirty years since the events of “The Last Picture Show”. Duane and Sonny are still in Thalia; Duane’s married to the terrifying but wonderful Karla, and Jacy’s rumoured to be back in town. Depression and boredom are rife as the oil recession hits,and everyone in town seems to be sleeping with the wrong person. It’s a depressing but moving slice of small town life, pinned loosely around preparations for the town’s centennial celebrations, even though the original county town, the Texasville of the title, has disappeared into the dust. The book has an open, fluid structure that mirrors that of many of the marriages portrayed, and there are some great wild kids and set pieces – who could forget the tumbleweed stampede? (well, I had, in the 12 years since I last read this). The side characters such as the magnificent Ruth Popper, with her marathon running, make this a full and rich read. Amusingly, Danny Deck has a cameo, or his house did. Danny is the hero of “All My Friends are Going to be Strangers” and later on, “Some Can Whistle” – McMurtry pops characters from one book into another a lot; Cadillac Jack has his own book and appears in another one.

My review from April 2000:

Another of his wonderful books – this one comes between “The Last Picture Show” and “Duane’s Depressed” and we see the tragi-comic life of Thalia (the tumbleweed stampede being a comedy high point). Characters are so, so believable, as are the sprawling events. ( )
  LyzzyBee | Nov 12, 2012 |
"Texasville" is the sequel to "The Last Picture Show" and the book Larry McMurtry wrote following "Lonesome Dove."

This story picks up 30 years after the events in "'The Last Picture Show" the wild high school students are now middle aged people trying to re-capture their youth.

Duane Moore is an oil man with huge debts. Like many, he became rich during the oil boom but now that OPEC has cut prices, like many of his friends, Duane is going broke.

The town is about to celebrate it's centennial and a number of old friends talk to Duane but they can't think of anyone worthy of honoring for their success after high school.

While this is happening, Duane spends much of his time reminiscing about his high school days and the glory of the football team. Then his high school girl friend returns to town and things get complicated.

The characters are well described and interesting to see compared to where they were thirty years ago. I enjoyed the story but didn't think it measured up to "The Last Picture Show." ( )
  mikedraper | Sep 18, 2012 |
The sequel to "The Last Picture Show", which introduced Duane Moore and the various denizens of the small Texas town of Thalia. It is some 30 years later, and Duane is now an oilman who achieved riches during the oil boom, and is now deep in debt along with everybody else in town because of the worldwide oil glut. He and his wife Karla somehow have forged a lasting marriage, but it's not immediately clear what it's based on, what with various affairs, misunderstandings and arguments twixt the two of them. Thalia becomes an immeasurably more complicated place for Duane when his high school girlfriend Jacy returns from Europe after the death of her child, and somehow strikes up a strong bond with Karla and the rest of Duane's family, even his dog Shorty. All this takes place during the town's centennial celebration, which evolves into a manic affair wilder and more surreal than anything Garisson Keillor imagined in his books. I seem to have somehow wandered into these books near the end of the story, and have been working my way backwards. All that remains is the one that started it, "The Last Picture Show", to which I look forward with a finely-honed antictipation. ( )
  burnit99 | Nov 10, 2011 |
For Cybill Shepherd
Duane was in the hot tub, shooting at his new dog-house with a .44 Magnum.

With Texasville, Larry McMurtry returns to the unforgettable Texas town and characters of one of his best-loved books, The Last Picture Show. This is a Texas-sized story brimming with home truths of the heart, and men and women we recognize, believe in, and care about deeply. Set in the post-oil-boom 1980s, Texasville brings us up to date with Duane, who's got an adoring dog, a sassy wife, a twelve-million-dollar debt, and a hot tub by the pool; Jacy, who's finished playing "Jungla" in Italian movies and who's returned to Thalia; and Sonny -- Duane's teenage rival for Jacy's affections -- who owns the car wash, the Kwik-Sackstore, and the video arcade.

One of Larry McMurtry's funniest and most touching contemporary novels.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:51 -0400)

Set in the post-oil-boom 1980s, Texasville brings readers up to date with Duane, who's got an adoring dog, a sassy wife, a twelve-million-dollar debt, and a hot tub by the pool; Jacy, who's finished playing "Jungla" in Italian movies and who's returned to Thalia; and Sonny--Duane's teenage rival for Jacy's affection --who owns the car wash, the Kwik-Sackstore, and the video arcade. Sequel to The Last Picture Show.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,331,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible