dismiss

Fall on Your Knees (1996)

by Ann-Marie MacDonald

The Piper family is steeped in secrets, lies, and unspoken truths. At the eye of the storm is one secret that threatens to shake their lives even to destroy them. Set on stormy Cape Breton Island off Nova Scotia, Fall on Your Knees is an internationally acclaimed multigenerational saga that chronicles the lives of four unforgettable sisters. Theirs is a world filled with driving ambition, inescapable family bonds, and forbidden love. Compellingly written, by turns menacingly dark and hilariously funny, this is an epic tale of five generations of sin, guilt, and redemption.… (more)

English (106)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Korean (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (115)
writing was great. traumas just kept building for the family until I could read no more. so tired of traumas ( )
  leebill | Apr 30, 2020 |
One of the books I can re read for the rest of my life. I love the layers of this story and the different perspectives of everyone that literally keeps them together and apart. It is sad and occasionally upsetting but well worth the read. ( )
  smooody106 | Apr 29, 2020 |
I really liked this book. It depicted an interesting time with characters in the early 20th century and the way certain behaviors were never talked about but had a life below the surface of a community - adultery, homosexuality, pedophilia, racism...I felt like the story wrapped up a little too neatly, so the ending felt induced rather than natural. ( )
  CarolBurrows | Dec 27, 2019 |
This was recommended by a friend and was pretty good. It turned out differently than I thought it would but it was an interesting journey getting there. ( )
  rlsova | Oct 29, 2019 |
3.25 stars

It is the early 1900s in Nova Scotia. 13-year old Materia falls for James, so she breaks away from her arranged marriage her parents have made for her and marries James, only to be disowned by her parents. James dotes on their first daughter, Kathleen and though, years later, they have more daughters, their marriage turns sour. The book not only follows them, but follows their daughters during their lives.

I was a little disappointed. I really liked The Way the Crow Flies, but for me, this wasn't nearly as interesting. It didn't grab me or hold my interest. I really didn't like any of the characters, which always makes it harder for me to enjoy a book. I wasn't compelled to pick up the book and/or to keep reading. Overall, I thought it was o.k., but nothing special. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 2, 2019 |
"Why canst thou not always be a good lass, Cathy?"
"Why cannot you always be a good man, father?"
Wuthering Heights
Dedicated with love and gratitude to Cheryl Daniels and Maureen White
They're all dead now.

The Piper family is steeped in secrets, lies, and unspoken truths. At the eye of the storm is one secret that threatens to shake their lives - evn destroy them. Set on stormy Cape Breton Island off Nova Scotia, Fall on Your Knees is an internationally acclaimed multigenerational saga that chronicles the lives of four unforgettable sister. Theris is a world filled with driving ambition, inescapable family bonds, and forbidden love. (0-7432-3718-8)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,843,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible