Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie Macdonald

Fall on Your Knees (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Ann-Marie Macdonald

Member:reluctantm
Title:Fall on Your Knees
Authors:Ann-Marie Macdonald
Info:Vintage Canada (1997), Edition: 1st Vintage Canada ed, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, read in 2012, 1001 Books to Read Before You Die
Rating:***

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (1996)

English (100)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Korean (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (108)
Multigenerational saga taking place in New Foundland. While the characters were interesting and the writing good, this clearly could have been a book and it's sequel. ( )
  LivelyLady | Jun 27, 2016 |
The Piper family is a history of violence, love, and incest from Cape Breton to New York. I looked forward to this book but the long drawn out retelling of relationships did me in, caused me to disengage, and forced me to finish for the sake of finishing. I couldn’t identify with any of the characters except for Trixie the cat who seemed the sanest of all. I see no compelling reason for it to be on The List. Alistair MacLeod’s No Great Mischief would be far better book about Cape Bretoners. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
This was an excellent read. And I didn't see the twist coming! It's also set in my end of the country, so some of the places are familiar. Highly recommended. ( )
  junepearl | Mar 4, 2016 |
Complicated character structure but well worth the concentration - a real page-turner. My husband is now reading this and doesn't hear a thing I say to him. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
★★★★
This is a deeply disturbing book about the damage that families can inflict upon each other.
Set on the desolate and isolated Cape Bretton in Canada the story follows 3 generations of the same family focussing largely on 4 sisters Kathleen, Mercedes, Frances and Lily and how a tragic event in the families past threatens to destroy the future for all of them.
This is beautifully written and compelling.
My favourite quotes
"By Fall, they can read. It has happened by osmosis, the way it ought to: after several months on Daddy's lap, following his spoken words with their eyes and pretending to read, there comes a day when they no longer have to pretend. The glass of the mirror has simply melted away and now they are free to enter as many worlds as they like, together or alone."
"But memory plays tricks. Memory is another word for story, and nothing is more unreliable" ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
"Why canst thou not always be a good lass, Cathy?"
"Why cannot you always be a good man, father?"
Wuthering Heights
Dedicated with love and gratitude to Cheryl Daniels and Maureen White
They're all dead now.

The Piper family is steeped in secrets, lies, and unspoken truths. At the eye of the storm is one secret that threatens to shake their lives - evn destroy them. Set on stormy Cape Breton Island off Nova Scotia, Fall on Your Knees is an internationally acclaimed multigenerational saga that chronicles the lives of four unforgettable sister. Theris is a world filled with driving ambition, inescapable family bonds, and forbidden love. (0-7432-3718-8)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743237188, Paperback)

A sprawling saga about five generations of a family from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Fall on Your Knees is the impressive first fiction from Canadian playwright and actor Ann-Marie MacDonald. This epic tale of family history, family secrets, and music centers on four sisters and their relationships with each other and with their father. Set in the coal-mining communities of Nova Scotia in the early part of this century, the story also shifts to the battlefields of World War I and the jazz scene of New York City in the 1920s.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

Spanning five generations and moving from Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, to the bleak landscape of World War I, and to the emerging jazz scene in New York City, this epic tale tells the story of four sisters.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,553,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible