Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie Macdonald

Fall on Your Knees (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Ann-Marie Macdonald

4,080None1,239 (3.92)245
Member:reluctantm
Title:Fall on Your Knees
Authors:Ann-Marie Macdonald
Info:Vintage Canada (1997), Edition: 1st Vintage Canada ed, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:read in 2012, Read but unowned, 1001 Books to Read Before You Die
Rating:***

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (1996)

Recently added byGatucci, private library, olgaroederer, UncleSamZ, KVictoria

English (92)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Korean (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (100)
Every once in a while you get a book that knocks the wind out of you and for me, that book was FALL ON YOUR KNEES. In many ways it's typical of some of the angst-ridden stories that come out of the Maritime provinces but regardless it still stands out. Some have said that the mystery/twists were predictable and I partially agree - some I saw coming, some I didn't. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
(Read in 2002.) Very twisted, but interesting family saga about a family growing up on Cape Breton off the coast of Canada. Hard to put down, once you get into it. Strange, but lovable characters you start to care about. Ultimately a tragic tale about a family that does not communicate. ( )
  Becky221 | Jan 13, 2014 |
Well crafted. Sometimes I thought I knew what was happening, other times I thought nothing made sense. Ms. MacDonald is true to her characters and their destinies.
  JulieRheault | Nov 21, 2013 |
My first reaction: I don't get it! You first think the father will be disclosed on the last page, but I'm still confused!
Kind of depressing! Hopeless; sick. A good example of a family being a melting pot of sorts. Irish, Lebanese, Negro, lesbian, incest, mentally ill, orphans, deformed, murder, suicide, illegitimate children, cold marriage, etc. And no one can speak the truth. ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 20, 2013 |
It is rather often that a book is described as an 'epic', a 'glorious tale of generations' that spans 'a range of intricate feelings' and so on. I was, therefore, mildly suspicious when I read Philippa Gregory's quote on the front of MacDonald's debut novel 'Fall on Your Knees'; 'an epic in the true sense: a magnificent novel'. Following Homer and Vergil's early Latin works, hardly any novel has ever managed to pull off the 'epic' genre in the same way. And although 'Fall on Your Knees' is hardly made of the same cloth, it is an excellent and very enticing debut.

But what's it all about? A lot, really. I won't go into details about the contents of the book. The basic story is about the Piper family, their internal family relations and emotional hardships. The central figure, Kathleen Piper, is forged into a singer by her father James.

To me, however, it was her maudit sister Frances who stole the show. Her, and MacDonald's tendency to surprise the reader with some very dramatic, intense and sudden plot twists make sure that this book is an experience worth remembering and a story worth savouring. ( )
  WorldInColour | Oct 12, 2013 |
"Why canst thou not always be a good lass, Cathy?"
"Why cannot you always be a good man, father?"
Wuthering Heights
Dedicated with love and gratitude to Cheryl Daniels and Maureen White
They're all dead now.

The Piper family is steeped in secrets, lies, and unspoken truths. At the eye of the storm is one secret that threatens to shake their lives - evn destroy them. Set on stormy Cape Breton Island off Nova Scotia, Fall on Your Knees is an internationally acclaimed multigenerational saga that chronicles the lives of four unforgettable sister. Theris is a world filled with driving ambition, inescapable family bonds, and forbidden love. (0-7432-3718-8)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743237188, Paperback)

A sprawling saga about five generations of a family from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Fall on Your Knees is the impressive first fiction from Canadian playwright and actor Ann-Marie MacDonald. This epic tale of family history, family secrets, and music centers on four sisters and their relationships with each other and with their father. Set in the coal-mining communities of Nova Scotia in the early part of this century, the story also shifts to the battlefields of World War I and the jazz scene of New York City in the 1920s.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:28 -0400)

Spanning five generations and moving from Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, to the bleak landscape of World War I, and to the emerging jazz scene in New York City, this epic tale tells the story of four sisters.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible