The Deep End of the Ocean (Oprah's Book…

The Deep End of the Ocean (Oprah's Book Club) (edition 1999)

by Jacquelyn Mitchard

Member:mikedraper
Title:The Deep End of the Ocean (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Jacquelyn Mitchard
Info:Penguin Books (1999), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:read in 2013, New York Times Best Seller, my library, Filmed, mystery, signed, Books reviewed
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, kidnapping, books into film, dysfunctional families, humor

The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (WildMaggie)
    Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about what happens to families when children are missing
    The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond (cataylor)

English (41)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
Why didn't I read this before? Just snotty, I guess. It's very good in a precious, unruly, way. ( )
  jconnell | Jul 13, 2014 |
This is the story of a dysfunctional family that goes through the trauma of having one child kidnapped. While it was the story of the kidnapping and aftermath I thought it was more the story of Vincent, who had emotional problems before this took place. Vincent gets some professional help, but Beth, the mother does not. By the end of the book neither Beth nor Vincent are normal. This was a great story, but really dragged in a lot of places. ( )
  elsyd | Feb 8, 2014 |
A story about a 3 year old boy being abducted and the grief the family (mom, dad, older son and younger daughter) go through trying to find him and then slowly realizing he must be dead. However, nine years later when a neighbor boy comes to ask about mowing their lawn it turns out to be Ben! Ben is living and being raised adequately by the kidnappers husband. Now there is a new problem to overcome! ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 29, 2013 |
This book had a really interesting premise, but it wasn't executed well at all. The writing was mediocre, the pacing slow, and the protagonist rather unsympathetic. ( )
  Maggie.Evans | Aug 1, 2013 |
I know I loved this book cause it is on my amazon list: Ten great Books I've read in 2004. Would like to read again. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |

Jacquelyn Mitchardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gothoni, ArjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grief fills up the room of my absent child,
Lies in his bed, walks up and down with me,
Puts on his pretty looks, repeats his words,
Remembers me of all his gracious parts,
Stuffs out his vacant garments with his form.
Then have I reason to be fond of grief.
Fare you well. Had you such a loss as I,
I could give better comfort than you do.

~King John, Act III, scene iv, by William Shakespeare
For the two Dans,
and for my father and my mother
Altogether, it was ten years, easily ten, from the hot August morning when Beth put the envelope full of pictures into the drawer until the cold fall afternoon when she took them out and laid them one by one on her desk.
Leed vult de plaats van mijn afwezig kind
Ligt in zijn bed, loopt heen en weer met mij,
En bootst zijn lachjes, praat zijn woordjes na,
Herinnert mij aan al zijn lieve gaven,
Vult met zijn vorm zijn lege kleren op;
Ik heb dus grond om van mijn leed te houden.
Vaarwel. Had u zoveel als ik verloren,
Ik kon u beter troosten dan u mij.

King John, akte III, scène iv,
William Shakespeare

Prateći tijekom idućih deset godina preostalih troje članova obitelji kako pokušavaju živjeti u potisnutoj agoniji, između zebnje i nade, zamrznuti u vremenu tragedijom za koju svi krive i sebe i druge, Jacquelyn Mitchard će ispričati potresnu, no istodobno toplu ljudsku priču koja će vas od prve do zadnje stranice držati u napetosti poput rijetko kojeg trilera.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140286276, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, September 1996: The horror of losing a child is somehow made worse when the case goes unsolved for nearly a decade, reports Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel columnist Jacquelyn Mitchard in this searing first novel. In it, 3-year-old Ben Cappadora is kidnapped from a hotel lobby where his mother is checking into her 15th high school reunion. His disappearance tears the family apart and invokes separate experiences of anguish, denial, and self-blame. Marital problems and delinquency in Ben's older brother (in charge of him the day of his kidnapping) ensue. Mitchard depicts the family's friction and torment--along with many gritty realities of family life--with the candor of a journalist and compassion of someone who has seemingly been there. International publishing and movie rights sold fast on this one: It's a blockbuster.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:15 -0400)

An unforgettable debut of a major storyteller, this bestselling novel now in paperback recounts every mother's most terrifying nightmare: the disappearance of her child.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,821,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible