The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy

The Lords of Discipline (original 1980; edition 1996)

by Pat Conroy

Member:tutmarie
Title:The Lords of Discipline
Authors:Pat Conroy
Info:Transworld Pub (1996), Paperback
Rating:*****

The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy (1980)

My favorite Pat Conroy book. Very powerful. This book resonates with my life. I highly recommend it. ( )
  ramon4 | Sep 14, 2016 |
Classic.
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
I hope that this kind of hazing is in the past! ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
One of my best-loved books ( )
  oel_3 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Pat Conroy's descriptions of the South and Charleston, SC life are absolutely the best. No one can touch him. He makes you regret where you were born if you are from somewhere other than Charleston. I had never read anything like this book before, getting a look inside a military school. ( )
  shesinplainview | Jul 26, 2014 |

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With heart at rest I climbed the citadel's steep height, and saw the city as from a tower, hospital, brothel, prison, and such hells, where evil comes up softly like a flower. Baudelaire's Epilogue
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude to Lt. Col. Thomas Nugent Courvoisie, U.S.A. (ret.), the finest military officer I have ever known. And to Joseph Michael Devito and Robert D. Marks, friends and brothers.

And to James T. Roe III and John C. Warley. And to my friends, teachers, classmates, and teammates at The Citadel from 1963 to 1967. And to the boys who did not make it.

Special thanks to these five remarkable people from Houghton Mifflin: Norman Berg, Shannon Ravenel Purves, Jonathan and Susan Galassi, and to Anne Barrett, whose retirement was a great loss to publishing and to the writers who loved her.
I wear the ring. (Prologue)
When I crossed the Ashley River my senior year in my gray 1959 Chevrolet, I was returning with confidence and even joy.
Met mijn hart gerust beklom ik de steile hoogte van de citadel en zag de stad als vanuit een toren, gasthuis, bordeel, gevangenis en soortgelijke helse oorden waar het kwaad zacht opbloeit als een bloem. (Baudelaires Epiloog)

In this powerful, mesmerizing, and acclaimed bestseller, Pat Conroy sweeps us into the turbulent world of four young men—friends, cadets, and blood brothers—and their days of hazing, heartbreak, pride, betrayal, and, ultimately, humanity. We go deep into the heart of the novel’s hero, Will McLean, a rebellious outsider with his own personal code of honor who is battling into manhood the hard way. Immersed in a poignant love affair with a haunting beauty, Will must boldly confront the terrifying injustice of a corrupt institution as he struggles to expose a mysterious group known as “The Ten.”

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:59 -0400)

Young black military cadet Will McLean, with a code of honor all his own, boldly confronts the terrifying injustice of a corrupt insititution as he struggles to expose a mysterious group known as "The Ten."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,164,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible