The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy

The Lords of Discipline (original 1980; edition 1996)

by Pat Conroy

1,366None5,600 (4.06)37
Member:tutmarie
Title:The Lords of Discipline
Authors:Pat Conroy
Info:Transworld Pub (1996), Paperback
Rating:*****

The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy (1980)

I read Prince of Tides years ago and loved it. This book, while displaying Conroy's eloquent writing style, was not as good. Perhaps the subject matter (morals and hazing at a South Carolina military college) was a bit dated and disturbing. ( )
  Becky221 | Aug 27, 2013 |
Read it, don't remember it - to read again sometime.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
When I attended the Citadel this book had been around for eight years. Many alum were sore about its publication and the portrayal of life at the institution. For my part I found the book - while fictitious - generally portrayed the attitudes and mores of the cadets accurately. Notice I did not say institution. The school tried for years, and by and large has succeeded, to eliminate much of what is portrayed herein. How much credit Conroy should get for that I cannot say. The book itself is a very good read. Conroy is an excellent writer. I read this book once before attending and once after attending and will read it again now that my twenty year reunion is approaching. ( )
  galacticus | Dec 30, 2011 |
This book began slowly as a character study. The narrator draws you into himself until you feel as though you become him, living his life with his disappointments, triumphs and pain. The prose is rich in drama and beauty. The characters are well-developed and it is difficult to put the book away when you put it down. The theme of how to maintain your humanity along with discipline and strength is a universal one. How does one do it? Some people go over the edge. This is a story about living on that edge. Gripping, dramatic and seemingly very unreal until you realize that it is not. It is very, very real in so many places for so many people.

WARNING: there is language in this book that will be painful for people. There is use of the n-word -- seemingly to make a point about widespread racism in southern and military society -- but some readers might still find it objectionable even in that context. ( )
1 vote krazy4katz | Jun 30, 2011 |
The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy follows Will McLean and his three roommates through their life at a military college, The Institute, in Charleston, South Carolina in the early 1960s. This is one of those books that I always wanted to read, but just never got around to it. Once I started, I could not put it down. This book draws on every emotion as these very different young men come together to share the joys and tragedies of their four years together. The good times are as good as they get, and the bad times are worse than anything they had ever experienced. They learn that some people will go to any length and do almost anything to preserve their way of life.

The way Pat Conroy, through Will McLean, describes the city of Charleston is beautiful and rich. He talks about The South from the perspective of one born and raised there. I was absolutely blown away when one of cadets mentioned, who plays a pivotal role in the story, was from my hometown. Over and over, I read about “Bobby Bentley from Ocilla, Georgia.” Through his relationship with Bobby Bentley, Will’s decisions affect his three roommates in ways that he could have never imagined.

The lives of the characters and their families are forever changed because of the four years at The Institute. The Lords of Discipline is not a feel good book. It is a story of the refusal to quit when everything seems hopeless; it is a story about honor. ( )
  GeorgiaDawn | Jun 1, 2011 |

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With heart at rest I climbed the citadel's steep height, and saw the city as from a tower, hospital, brothel, prison, and such hells, where evil comes up softly like a flower. Baudelaire's Epilogue
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude to Lt. Col. Thomas Nugent Courvoisie, U.S.A. (ret.), the finest military officer I have ever known. And to Joseph Michael Devito and Robert D. Marks, friends and brothers.

And to James T. Roe III and John C. Warley. And to my friends, teachers, classmates, and teammates at The Citadel from 1963 to 1967. And to the boys who did not make it.

Special thanks to these five remarkable people from Houghton Mifflin: Norman Berg, Shannon Ravenel Purves, Jonathan and Susan Galassi, and to Anne Barrett, whose retirement was a great loss to publishing and to the writers who loved her.
I wear a ring. (Prologue)
When I crossed the Ashley River my senior year in my gray 1959 Chevrolet, I was returning with confidence and even joy.
Met mijn hart gerust beklom ik de steile hoogte van de citadel en zag de stad als vanuit een toren, gasthuis, bordeel, gevangenis en soortgelijke helse oorden waar het kwaad zacht opbloeit als een bloem. (Baudelaires Epiloog)

In this powerful, mesmerizing, and acclaimed bestseller, Pat Conroy sweeps us into the turbulent world of four young men—friends, cadets, and blood brothers—and their days of hazing, heartbreak, pride, betrayal, and, ultimately, humanity. We go deep into the heart of the novel’s hero, Will McLean, a rebellious outsider with his own personal code of honor who is battling into manhood the hard way. Immersed in a poignant love affair with a haunting beauty, Will must boldly confront the terrifying injustice of a corrupt institution as he struggles to expose a mysterious group known as “The Ten.”

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:24 -0400)

Young black military cadet Will McLean, with a code of honor all his own, boldly confronts the terrifying injustice of a corrupt insititution as he struggles to expose a mysterious group known as "The Ten."

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,404,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible