The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

The Shell Seekers (original 1987; edition 2013)

by Rosamunde Pilcher

Member:SylviaC
Title:The Shell Seekers
Authors:Rosamunde Pilcher
Info:St. Martin's Press
Collections:E-books - Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, wartime, World War II, read 2012, pleasant

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher (1987)

Recently added byjour149, private library, debicakes77, bookwormamp, isabelestrada, Juncal, mootzymom

English (40)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (46)
As the story begins readers are introduced to Penelope Keeling who is 64 years old and recovering from a recent heart attack. Her oldest daughter Nancy and son Noel, described as greedy, grasping and overbearing, are the complete opposite of their generous, caring and loving mother. Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2015/01/20/the-shell-seekers-rosamunde-pilcher/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Jan 20, 2015 |
Long and intricate story that was far from what I typically read. I definitely enjoyed it.

Review to come.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Lois Stocking
  KindredSpirits | Jul 10, 2014 |
the most charming book i have ever read. i wanted to move to england and live with the heroine of the novel and drink tea and garden all day!!!! the perfect family saga. lots of good characters. read this when you have alot of time to sit and enjoy!!!! ( )
  amanaceerdh | Jul 2, 2014 |
A massive tome about the life and disappointments of Penelope Stern Keeling, daughter of an artist. This story begins with her in her "old" (60!) age, looking back on her life, it includes the viewpoint of her self-centered and boring children, and ends with her death. I don't usually give away spoilers in reviews, but if I encouraged anyone to read this book I would feel guilty. There is no endearing character in this book. Penelope is an ice statue, despite we are told she isn't. The one child we are (I think) meant to respect or admire is also an ice princess. I found nothing redeeming about this story. I have adored other works by Pilcher, she is a master at descriptive writing and usually subtle and delightful with her characters, but this story fell flat for me. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 17, 2013 |

Rosamunde Pilcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, HannahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my children,
and their children.
She sometimes thought that for her, Nancy Chamberlain, the most straightforward or innocent occupation was doomed to become, inevitably, fraught with tedious complication.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312961324, Mass Market Paperback)

At the end of a long and useful life, Penelope Keeling's prized possession is The Shell Seekers, painted by her father, and symbolizing her unconventional life, from bohemian childhood to wartime romance. When her grown children learn their grandfather's work is now worth a fortune, each has an idea as to what Penelope should do. But as she recalls the passions, tragedies, and secrets of her life, she knows there is only one answer...and it lies in her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:20 -0400)

A mild heart attack confronts Penelope Stern with her own mortality, and she decides to return to the small town of Porthkerris on the coast of Cornwall. There she will visit the scenes of her famous father's artistic life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,525,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible