The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

The Shell Seekers (original 1987; edition 2013)

by Rosamunde Pilcher

Member:SylviaC
Title:The Shell Seekers
Authors:Rosamunde Pilcher
Info:St. Martin's Press
Collections:Books owned - all formats, E-books - Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, wartime, World War II, read 2012, pleasant

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher (1987)

English (47)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (53)
I loved this book. It was the first time I read Pilcher. I feel it is her best book. I hated to se the story end, I felt like I lost a best friend when the book ended.If you have't read Pilcher, READ THIS first. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
My very favorite book. ( )
  Arubaborn | Jul 8, 2016 |
64-year-old Penelope Keeling is returning to her country house following a heart attack, and her three adult children have varying reactions to the news. The narrative is actually a series of deftly interwoven vignettes that shift back and forth in time; each chapter centers on one of the principal players in the family's history. The unifying thread is an oil painting entitled "The Shell Seekers," done by Penelope's father. Pilcher's characters are well-drawn, real, and engrossing people.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This was a fairly insipid family saga that spanned from just before WWII to contemporary times. Each chapter focused on a particular character, with the chapters typically jumping back and forth through time. The main character is Penelope, who we meet at 64 (and she is weirdly referred to as elderly! Really?). Her three children are all horribly selfish and two are greedy, out to grab the precious painting that Penelope's artist father had given her as a wedding gift. I often found myself skimming the long descriptive passages of gardens and seashores. ( )
  bookfest | Feb 22, 2016 |

Rosamunde Pilcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, HannahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my children,
and their children.
She sometimes thought that for her, Nancy Chamberlain, the most straightforward or innocent occupation was doomed to become, inevitably, fraught with tedious complication.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312961324, Mass Market Paperback)

At the end of a long and useful life, Penelope Keeling's prized possession is The Shell Seekers, painted by her father, and symbolizing her unconventional life, from bohemian childhood to wartime romance. When her grown children learn their grandfather's work is now worth a fortune, each has an idea as to what Penelope should do. But as she recalls the passions, tragedies, and secrets of her life, she knows there is only one answer...and it lies in her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:20 -0400)

A mild heart attack confronts Penelope Stern with her own mortality, and she decides to return to the small town of Porthkerris on the coast of Cornwall. There she will visit the scenes of her famous father's artistic life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,350,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible