dismiss

The Two Princesses of Bamarre (2004)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Bamarre (1), Enchanted (2)

With her adventurous sister, Meryl, suffering from the the Grey death meek and timid Princess Addie sets out to find a cure.
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    Fairest by Gail Carson Levine (Siliverien)
    Siliverien: Another beautiful fairytale by the same author :)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are children's stories about a pair of siblings, in which the ostensibly weaker sibling must show enormous courage to rescue the other.
    Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris (Maiasaura)
    The Magic Three of Solatia by Jane Yolen (HollyMS)
    Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: The style of writing and the wizards in both are similar.

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Addie and Meryl are princesses, sisters and opposites. Addie is quiet and fearful, and Meryl is adventurous and would love nothing more than to be out fighting monsters. Meryl has promised Addie that she will not leave her until Addie is married. After Rhys, the new sorcerer arrives, Meryl becomes ill, so Addie must find some courage and leave to find a cure. Meanwhile, Addie has fallen for the handsome young sorcerer. Addie must battle various monsters, including a dragon, to help her older sister.

I really liked this book. It was fun and exciting to read and to cheer on Addie as she finds courage to go out on her own in order to save her beloved sister. I have really enjoyed all the books I've read by Gail Carson Levine so far, and will likely read more. Her books are easy to read and understand and very enjoyable. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 6, 2019 |
This is one of my all-time favorite books. It has all the aspects of a good fairy tale: Adventure, danger, love, loyalty, magic, princesses, and so much more. I have been hoping that they will make this into a movie for a long time as long as they don't destroy it like some books. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
This book is cute and epic. I think it's amazing. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I read this book as a child and loved it! I re read it on audio, and I still liked it, but not as much as I remember. I think the narrator didn't suit the story. The voice felt too old for the character, which caused her to sound super whiney at times, and it took away from the experience.

The story of Addie and Meryl is a great one. Addie is the timid, scared of everything sister, and Meryl just wants to go on adventures. Meryl becomes sick, and it's up to Addie to save her. The story is a great coming of age and finding yourself tale. Addie really grows as a character, and realizes she doesn't need to be afraid of everything. I really liked this as a kid, and it showed me that I could do and be whatever I wanted to in life, and it really did help me in the long run.

I definitely recommend this to younger readers, and maybe adults if you have the nostalgia factor.

Overall, I really liked this re-read, but would not recommend the audiobook. ( )
  jdifelice | Jul 29, 2018 |
I fell in love with this gentle fantasy and coming-of-age story. Anyone with experience in fantasy could tell where this story was going; it was the "getting there" that made it a page turner. There were some unexpected twists, but they delighted me in that they took the less traveled road and added depth to the tale.

If you like well-written fantasy, I think you'll like this story. I think that young, shy adults will find validation. It is certainly a book I won't mind revisiting. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 13, 2017 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowman, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Out of a land laid waste
To a land untamed,
Monster ridden,
The lad Drualt led
A ruined, ragtag band.
In his arms, tenderly,
He carried Bruce,
The child king,
First ruler of Bamarre.
To Joan Abelove, my pal on this fine wild ride - a million thanks - G.C.L.
So begins Drualt, the epic poem of Bamarre's greatest hero, our kingdom's ideal.

a very heart warming and adventerous book. It tells about two sister's and their lives together and how it is seperated by a deathly disease.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible