The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson…

The Two Princesses of Bamarre (original 2004; edition 2001)

by Gail Carson Levine

Member:kingjon
Title:The Two Princesses of Bamarre
Authors:Gail Carson Levine
Info:Scholastic (2001), Paperback, 241 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:best-books, keep

The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (2004)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    Fairest by Gail Carson Levine (Siliverien)
    Siliverien: Another beautiful fairytale by the same author :)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are children's stories about a pair of siblings, in which the ostensibly weaker sibling must show enormous courage to rescue the other.
    Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris (Maiasaura)
    The Magic Three of Solatia by Jane Yolen (Hollerama)
    Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: The style of writing and the wizards in both are similar.

English (35)  German (1)  All languages (36)
This is the third time I've read this enchanting book. I no longer have my own copy but am hoping to procure one again. It contains a marvelous, funny story with a lot of heart and, more than that, better world-building than one might expect, especially considering how little fantasy authors seem concerned about that aspect in the writing that gets published today. But then, Levine is of the earlier generation, the writers I grew up with, and is of a different class. I love that the ending is not predictable and in its way is heart-wrenching, but also uplifting. I used to really wish there had been a sequel, because everything wasn't worked out in one neat little package, but now I enjoy that the story moves and breathes on its own. Probably my favourite aspect is that Levine sometimes has characters interrupt each other speaking, and then the person cut off never finishes their original thought - I always wonder what they meant to say! A solid five stars for this one. I'd recommend it to any kid and any adult, too, for a good adventure and a treatise on all different kinds of love. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Didn't remember reading it so read it again.
  librisissimo | Apr 2, 2016 |
loved this book. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Didn't care for this...weird magic...not that great story..not that it was too predictable, the adventure was ok, a sort of coming of age story..just the rest of the story was kind of flat/blah/empty...not that great ending, (anticlimactic!)..almost an allegory to cancer...kind of depressing. It left me with an indescribable feeling of being "off".

I got rid of it. ( )
  dayspring777 | Feb 22, 2016 |
Honestly, I'm not sure what I think of this book. It was good, but not the best thing I have ever read. The beginning was engaging and compelling, the middle was good but pretty standard (girl finds her inner strength stuff), and the end just sort of happened and left me wondering what just happened.

I like short books, I consider it a mark of a great author if they can get me to care about their characters in less than 300 pages, but with this book I found myself craving more. I felt like I needed some more character development, or a slightly more concrete ending, or something.

I liked Addie as the main character, she was flawed and made me care about how her quest would end. I believed in her development from a girl who was afraid of almost everything to a woman that could stand up for herself and the people she cared about.

(SPOILER!!)The part that I have an issue with is the sudden romance and marriage to Rhys. I love a good happy ending, but in their case it felt a bit too rushed. It seemed like they had barely spent any time together and then they were married!
(END of SPOILER)

I understand that this has a precedence to follow because it's a fairy tale, but I need to see more interaction between the couple to make their romance seem natural, it seemed out of nowhere and abrupt. Other than that I really liked this book. It was a good adventure story with girl power thrown in.
Happy reading! ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Feb 18, 2016 |
Out of a land laid waste
To a land untamed,
Monster ridden,
The lad Drualt led
A ruined, ragtag band.
In his arms, tenderly,
He carried Bruce,
The child king,
First ruler of Bamarre.
To Joan Abelove, my pal on this fine wild ride - a million thanks - G.C.L.
So begins Drualt, the epic poem of Bamarre's greatest hero, our kingdom's ideal.

a very heart warming and adventerous book. It tells about two sister's and their lives together and how it is seperated by a deathly disease.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006440966X, Paperback)

After stealing the hearts of middle-grade girls with her delightful Newbery Honor-winning Cinderella retelling, Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine here creates a fairy tale of her own and gives it a characteristic grrrl-power twist. Twelve-year-old Addie admires her older sister Meryl, who aspires to rid the kingdom of Bamarre of gryphons, specters, and ogres. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful even of spiders and depends on Meryl for courage and protection. Waving her sword Bloodbiter, the older girl declaims in the garden from the heroic epic of Drualt to a thrilled audience of Addie, their governess, and the young sorcerer Rhys. But when Meryl falls ill with the dreaded Gray Death, Addie must gather her courage and set off alone on a quest to find the cure and save her beloved sister. Addie takes the seven-league boots and magic spyglass left to her by her mother and the enchanted tablecloth and cloak given to her by Rhys--along with a shy declaration of his love. She prevails in encounters with tricky specters (spiders too) and outwits a wickedly personable dragon in adventures touched with romance and a bittersweet ending. Young fans of princess stories will gobble this one up. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:47 -0400)

With her adventurous sister, Meryl, suffering from the the Grey death meek and timid Princess Addie sets out to find a cure.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible