The Thieves of Ostia by Caroline Lawrence

The Thieves of Ostia (2001)

by Caroline Lawrence

In Rome in the year 79 A.D., a group of children from very different backgrounds work together to discover who beheaded a pet dog -- and why.

Flavia Gemina, a Roman sea captain's daughter, sets out to solve the mystery of who is killing the dogs in Ostia and why. In the process she finds new friends in a neighbouring Christian boy, Johnathan, slave girl Nubia, and orphan Lucas ( )
  AccyP | Nov 20, 2018 |
I WAS THINKING about this series the other day and just found it and I'm so pleased!

... I can't remember how many books out of this series I read, but I read a lot of these books. (Some I read back to back.) Either way, I adored this series. I really liked the characters and looking it as an adult now my GOODNESS ME this is a fairly diverse cast! Flavia, the main character is a wealthy Roman girl, but there's also a Jewish boy, an African girl and a poor mute boy called Lupus.

I hadn't realised that - it's really cool to come back to a book series I read when I was younger and realise that it's so inclusive. Or, more inclusive than most?

I loved the plot of these books but more than that I liked all of the character development, the arcs of the characters and how they transformed over a series of books. Some of the books feature very well-known historical characters, Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger and so on - so it was cool to learn little tidbits of ancient history while following this motley crew of children on a crazy mystery. (Why were they allowed to get away with so much? They were like, ten!)

ANYWAY. Tiny wee me would've given this book 4.5 stars. So 4.5 it is! ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Follows main characters as they try to solve the mystery of who killed the friend's dog. Includes four main characters whose perspectives alternate as protagonist. Relatively easy reading level for students in 8th grade - but includes many details pertaining to a study of Rome that students might find interesting. I could see parts of this book being used in conjunction with study in a social studies classroom. It could be used as a lower-level differentiated reading. The end gets a bit preachy in a religious sense, which could be problematic in a public school setting. ( )
  jstrecker | Jan 31, 2016 |
Simple but effective, accepting of all people from all backgrounds, slaves, homeless, people from different religions. Contains religious quotes from the christian faith. An interesting book. Contains some mild horror - dead dogs, man commits suicide. Describes life in Rome AD 79. ( )
  Breony | Mar 26, 2014 |
Intelligent, fearless Flavia loves to solve mysteries. Nubia, a slave girl purchased by Flavia, speaks only Greek; Flavia teaches her Latin and the reader learns Latin as well. Jonathan is a Jewish boy whose family tries to keep a low profile so that they can live and worship in peace! An observant, mute beggar boy, Lupus, had a talent for art expression. These four friends encounter violence and adventure---imagine being chased by henchmen whose goal is to capture and sell the children as slaves. Imagine coming home and finding that your watchdog has been beheaded. Or hiding in a tree surrounded by feral, angry dogs! Three of the friends learn an important lesson about forgiveness. This novel is the first in a series of Roman mysteries; it is set in Ostia, port of Rome, in A.D.79. ( )
  shsunon | May 17, 2012 |
To my mother and father for all their love and support
Flavia Gemina solved her first mystery on the Ides of June in tenth year of Emperor Vespasian.

After I read this book I started to love mysteries and was eager to read the following books. I recommend this book to old and and young mystery readers. Hope you enjoy it too.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,768,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible