Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher

Winter Solstice (original 2000; edition 2005)

by Rosamunde Pilcher

Member:rainstar76
Title:Winter Solstice
Authors:Rosamunde Pilcher
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 704 pages
Tags:AdultFiction-Box3

Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher (2000)

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Miss Pettigrew and Elfrida have similar live-for-the-moment attitudes.

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
local book club choice. My first by this author. I won't read another by her.

Entertainment, not bad but not good either.

People who like romances will probably love it.

No score. This just isn't my interest.
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
I was kind of 'meh' about this book. I enjoyed the setting, but the characters were just ok for me. I still Rosamunde, but this is my least favorite of what I've read of hers. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
Digital audiobook narrated by Carole Shelley

Five very different people, ranging in age from teen-aged to mid-sixties, converge on a Scottish cottage just before Christmas. Each is facing some difficult changes in his or her life, and together they find a way to navigate the turbulence in their lives.

What a charmingly told story. I grew to love these characters. Elfrida is practical, giving, generous and compassionate. Oscar is reeling from loss, struggling to come to grips with his guilt and grief, and hesitant to take a chance. Sam is trying to find a new path in life and return to his home from years spent abroad. Carrie is stubbornly independent, afraid to open herself to love after having been badly burned, and yet willing to sacrifice to help her young niece. Lucy is feeling lost and abandoned, unsure what she wants but knowing that it is NOT to be a third wheel in her mother’s new romance.

The novel changes perspective with each chapter so the reader gets to know the characters slowly, learning what is important to each as they go about their lives. There are a few coincidences that are just too good to be true, but they add to the joy and the promise of a happy ending.

I’d never read anything by this author previously, and her work reminds me of Maeve Binchy’s. I look forward to reading more of her books.

Carole Shelley does a fine job narrating the audiobook. She has a wide range of voices to handle in this cast of characters and she has to skill to do it well. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 22, 2019 |
Delightful and well written! I couldn't get back to this book often enough and enjoyed it immensely. Various family members are featured in each chapter, completing a story by the end of the book. I've had this book a long time and wish I had read it earlier. Now I want to read more of this author's writing. It's the story of a family, or various members of it, and how their lives connect and disconnect and interweave over a period of time. I loved these people. I'd like to visit the places in Scotland where they lived, and some locales were in England as well. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 22, 2019 |
Another holiday read that didn't pan out for me. I'm not going to lie, this book has probably killed my desire to read any more Christmas/holiday themed reads for this year. It was something that really compelled me this year, but this airplane read is definitely my last for now. I'll be interested to see if I feel the same way (wanting to read seasonal reads during fall/winter) next year.

This is the story of several people who eventually end up together due to circumstances, their backgrounds and choices. They have loose/tenuous/no connections to one another, but Pilcher weaves them together to pull them into a...knot? Not sure what the right word is. Characters vary from two older people finding love together near the end of their lives, an unhappy teenager spending Christmas with her aunt who has her own issues, a man returning to the UK after the dissolution of his marriage, etc.

Although the writing was alright (enough to keep me curious enough to continue reading), I wasn't particularly attached to the characters. None of them really stuck out to me or stayed with me. I would say I was quite pleased that the multiple POVs worked. I find that they often don't, depending on the quality and strength of the author, but the writer's ability to switch between her main (and I think a few secondary POVs) was mostly effective. It annoyed me at first because it's not a device I like very much, but I was pleased to see instances where this did work.

Anyway, I was disappointed because while it's got a relatively good rating on Goodreads, I wasn't as enamored of the book as other people were. Some people have objections to the adultery, divorce, etc. depicted in this book but I didn't have any issue with it. Perhaps the characters are not as likeable because of it, but at least they're not as boring either.

I was lucky to get this as a Mass Market Paperback (vs. the more expensive and nicer version!). That said, I wasn't overly thrilled with it. It wasn't the worst holiday read at all, but now I'm just looking forward to the 2016 releases. :) As a cozy, snowy winter storm read or a book to take on the plane though, it might not be a bad choice, especially if you get the MMP version. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Before Elfrida Phipps left London for good and moved to the country, she made a trip to the Battersea Dog's Home, and returned with a canine companion.

As good friends gather
Elfrida embraces life
With a free spirit.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312978383, Mass Market Paperback)

Rosamunde Pilcher's novel, despite its chilly setting, will warm the hearts of her growing army of loyal fans. Winter Solstice has all the familiar trademarks of a Pilcher saga, spun in her inimitable, homey, beguiling style. The story is told, chapter by chapter, from the perspectives of an eclectic array of characters. Former actress Elfrida--not very good by her own admission--leaves London for a geriatric bolthole in the country where she meets retired schoolmaster and organist, Oscar. Meanwhile, Carrie (Elfrida's second cousin), returns to London from Austria where she had a brilliant career in the tourist industry, only to find her niece, 14-year-old Lucy, sadly neglected by her selfish mother and equally spoiled grandmother. Finally, handsome Sam is recalled from New York by his company chairman to revive an ailing Scottish textile mill.

As one character after another must learn to live with their losses, they find themselves collectively spirited northwards, from Sussex to Scotland, by way of Cornwall. And, as events unfurl, slowly, surely, but inevitably, those in need find solace in unexpected places. While her characterizations are generally carefully crafted and entirely rounded, Pilcher's greatest strengths lie in her natural, easy narratives of everyday life and her thoroughly researched and captivating descriptions of scenery and surroundings. --Carey Green

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:59 -0400)

As winter sets in, an old estate in rural Scotland becomes a temporary home to an unlikely assemblage of people.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,341,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible