The Watcher by James Howe

The Watcher (1997)

by James Howe

I'd been aware of the existence of this book for some time before I actually came across a copy of it. 'The Watcher' is very well-written and perfectly executed. A mysterious, aloof girl dreams about the lives of the people she sees at the beach in a vacation town provoking others to wonder what her story might be. It was a good experience to read such a departure from an author I'll always cherish as the bringer of the faux-gothic mysteries of Chester and Harold in the 'Bunnicula' books, even if this ultimately wasn't to my taste. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I actually liked this book and its not something I would regularly like. It reminds me of a Ellen Hopkins book, touching intense topics and writing them in prose. The book leaves you guessing but half way through the book, I guessed the ending, which is a favorable hobby of mine. Though, it makes the rest of the book draining.

The topic touched, parent abuse, is a great topic for students to be able to read. This book was great in terms, a couple of children saw something wrong and decided to do something about it. I would keep this in a high school library. ( )
  jaelynculliford | Nov 30, 2014 |
The Watcher may be one of the thinnest books on my bookshelf, but it's one of the deepest at the same time. You'll race through it, but the end lingers with you for quite awhile. As sad as the ending is, there's something satisfying about how all the character arcs in the story wrap up. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
A little slow at first and a bit too young for me to relate to, but an OK read. Quick, yet sad to say not very impressive.
5/10 ( )
  DianaLynn5287 | Jun 21, 2013 |
A teen book about a couple of kinds of family chaos which can beset a teen. I was engaged by the characters and liked the writing very much. I didn't find the big reveal at the end was at all surprising and felt that Margaret's parents were cookie cutter as opposed to Evan's mother. Important subject matter handled well. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Apr 7, 2012 |
You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes, You just might find, You get what you need. -- The Rolling Stones

To Betsy
The girl had no memory
no real memory
The girl had no real memory of how she came to this place.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689835337, Mass Market Paperback)

What happens when one of the authors of the Bunnicula series (novels for young adolescents starring a vampire bunny) decides to write a book for older teens? The result is not what you'd expect. The Watcher is a serious story of a confused, broken, abused girl who observes the world instead of participating in it. By alternating four points of view, author James Howe explores the watcher and the watched--revealing how fantasy can drown us and how expressing our needs out loud can save us. This is a beautifully written meditation on how we perceive others and ourselves. Howe abandons vampires, yet still leaves us with a haunted feeling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:46 -0400)

As she sits watching a seemingly perfect family and a handsome lifeguard on the beach, a lonely, troubled girl projects herself into the fantasy lives she has created for them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible