The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

The Battle of the Labyrinth

by Rick Riordan

The Odyssey by Homer (Jitsusama)
    Jitsusama: An ancient classic revolving around Greek Myth. A great help to better understand the mythology of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaire (saltypepper)
    saltypepper: More accessible than Homer for younger and/or reluctant readers, plus beautifully illustrated.
    The Iliad by Homer (Jitsusama)

English (207)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (210)
"The fourth novel in the Percy Jackson series was rather polarizing for me. On the one hand, it represented an aggressive move from the usually harmless adventures of the young teens, to a darker and bloodier novel. I welcome the change, especially since I have complained in some of the novels that there was a definite lack of permanence and actual stakes.

The book is packed with nicely written and powerful scenes and, as a coherent whole, I felt very in tune with Battle of the Labyrinth. The titular setting – the ever-shifting Labyrinth that magically connects various places through a complex series of underground tunnels – was suitably oppressive. Strange as it may seem, I loved feeling compressed under all those tons of earth, trying to find the way out. I guess I just love night time, so imagine how I felt imagining myself in a place where it's always night. Ok, it was also filled with monsters and other dangers, but still...

Anyway, on the most part, the heroes are set on defending their camp from the Titan Lord: Kronos and his growing army as he gathers his strength and plans on wiping out Camp Half-Blood and Olympus itself, before enslaving/destroying humanity along the way. Suitably high stakes, and with an actual battle in the last few chapters of the novel, it does live up to its name, and finally shows us why these Half-Bloods have been training half their lives.

As the story goes on, Percy and Annabeth’s relationship crawls along awkwardly, with some kind of tension between them, along with adolescent ""confused feelings"" and jealousy. It’s all a bit painful to read, honestly. Some of the minor characters introduced to the plot are only there for a few specific scenes, and vanish without a second thought just chapters later. Grover’s finally gets some closure on his quest to find the great god Pan. With all this loose ends being connected, I felt like Battle of the Labyrinth was a ""filler"" novel. It had its moments, but it was largely just wrapping up some plot threads from the previous novel, as though Rick Riordan really wanted to start the final book with a clean slate.

Overall, this novel isn't particularly bad, but it isn’t particularly good. Compared to Titan’s Curse, it feels like it’s lacking a coherent plot thread; the ending felt a little rushed. Also, the characters are starting to feel flat and worn-out, recycling the same emotions and desires. Still, I liked it well enough, even though I wish some nuances of the story had been better developed.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a person, he can't be fixed.

The Last Passage
Nico tapped at his silver ring. ‘But that’s not the real reason I’ve come. I’ve found out some things. I want to make you an offer.’
‘What?’
‘The way to beat Luke,’ he said. ‘If I’m right, it’s the only way you’ll stand a chance.’
I took a deep breath. ‘Okay. I’m listening.’
Nico glanced inside my room. His eyebrows furrowed. ‘Is that… is that blue birthday cake?’
He sounded hungry, maybe a little wistful. I wondered if the poor kid had ever had a birthday party, or if he’d ever even been invited to one.
‘Come inside for cake and ice cream,’ I said. ‘It sounds like we’ve got a lot to talk about.’
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
With the worry that Camp Half-Blood will be attacked, Percy and his friends (led by Annabeth) must go on a quest inside the labyrinth that is located (but moves around) underneath America.

These books really are a lot of fun! I think I do better to read them than to listen, though. There is a lot of action in these YA books and it keeps me wanting to read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 16, 2015 |
It should all be tiring by now. Somehow, it isn't. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
The is #4 in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. Percy is 14 and the son of Poseidon. In this exciting installment Percy and his friends venture into the Labyrinth to stop the bad guys from overtaking their summer camp, and waging war on Olympus. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
With the discovery at Camp Half-Blood of an entrance into the labyrinth designed by Daedalus and also an arrival of one of Luke's followers who is somewhat befuddled it is assumed that Luke plans to use this as a way to launch an offensive and strike at the camp. Annabeth leads a quest to find Daedalus to enlist his help to prevent this and takes along Percy, Tyson and Grover. The latter of which is about to lose his searcher's license which will end his personal endeavour in locating the wild god Pan.

The characters in this fourth instalment seem to have grown up a bit and the overall tone of the story is a touch darker than previous although not without touches of humour along the way. The pace of the story remains high throughout with this being primarily an action-oriented series but there are a few detours for the reader to catch their breath. Although this is aimed primarily at the younger end of the YA spectrum there is still enough here for me to want to continue to the final book. Not sure yet if I will then move on to the next one though. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Apr 24, 2015 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Becky, who always leads me through the maze.
The last thing I wanted to do on my summer break was blow up another school.
This LT work is the fourth volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
Percy Jackson manages to be admitted to a new high school, but a battle with demon cheerleaders ends up with the school burning, so it's back to Camp Half-Blood. But the camp isn't so safe anymore, with war between the Olympians and lord Kronos approaching. Percy and the demigods must venture on a quest through the Labyrinth to try to stop the enemy from invading the Camp.

When demonic cheerleaders invade his high school, Percy Jackson hurries to Camp Half Blood, from whence he and his demigod friends set out on a quest through the Labyrinth, while the war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,153,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible