The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson…

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4) (edition 2008)

by Rick Riordan

Member:shadowangel26
Title:The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion (2008), Hardcover, 368 pages

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

The Odyssey by Homer (Jitsusama)
    Jitsusama: An ancient classic revolving around Greek Myth. A great help to better understand the mythology of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaire (saltypepper)
    saltypepper: More accessible than Homer for younger and/or reluctant readers, plus beautifully illustrated.
    The Iliad by Homer (Jitsusama)

English (256)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (262)
I've had my eye on you for awhile Percy Jackson, whenever a series of books, especially in young adult, becomes a phenomenon I make a note to try and read it at some point.

And there is a lot about the Percy Jackson series to like: the adventure, the jokes, the wish-fulfillment aspect of having a secret mom or dad who was actually one of the Greek gods making you a half-blood and eligible for training at, wait for it, Camp Half-Blood. Hogwarts it ain't, but I'll get to that later.

The premise here is that the Greek gods go whereever the heart of Western Civilization is, from Greece to Rome to France to Britain, a German state at some pre-Kaiser Wilhelm period and finally to the United States. The gods are still the gods, but the way they operate has been modernized to good effect. With the gods, of course, come the monsters of legend.

Riordan gets around the hurdle of all the fun mythological monsters being already dead by having them respawn at uneven increments. Vanquish the Minotaur and he might be gone for a lifetime or two weeks, for example.

My main problem with these books was not necessarily the sanitation of Greek mythology, some of the gory bits are left in, but we're supposed to think that these half-bloods were born because the gods and goddesses loved those mortals very, very much? I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of god-human couplings that weren't forced, terrible things that left the mortal cursed or dead or a tree. Occasionally, like Ganymede, you could look forward to serving your rapist and kidnapper his food for eternity.

But I'm forgetting that these books are for the children. Which leads me to my next point, Riordan doesn't trust kids to remember anything. There is a need in a series to sum up certain relevent points in each book, but I'm pretty sure a kid is going to remember that Chiron is a centaur or that Percy Jackson is, I don't know, the son of Poseidon. There are only slim reasons to compare these to Harry Potter: pre-adolescent children discover they have powers, go to place to learn about them. There's a prophecy. That's it. But, as I was leading into with the Percy Jackson, who by the way has a father who is the ancient sea god, bit is that Riordan writes a lot of guff about a prophecy and doesn't deliver, he uses almost no foreshadowing at all, bits from one book to another are dropped or added. At one point a camper is killed on a mission and Percy feels sad about it, and I suppose the reader is to but why? Before ten pages before the character bit it there were no conversations with him, he was barely a name in their dining hall.

I must, however, acknowledge that Riordan understands that kids only need to talk in terms of "awesome" or "cool" and don't need to expand their vocabulary at all. Also that math and reading are hard. I'm sure as a teacher Riordan realizes kids will just pick up appreciation for those things elsewhere. Right. Really it just comes off as patronizing. He tops it off with the notion that ambrosia and nectar, the food of the gods that tastes like your favorite flavors, always tastes like cookies or fresh baked brownies to Percy. That just sounds refreshing, mmmm liquid cookie/brownies. All the time.

There's a suspician I have, and I had this even before I noticed it was a Disney publisher who put these books out, that Riordan uses a ghost writer simply because of how phoned in a lot of the 'meat' of the books are. He also has a lot of series running concurrently now that the original Percy Jackson is finished, R.L. Stine has some competition it seems like.

But, here I am rattling on and on about how simplistic and patronizing a series of books written for 11 and 12 years olds is. I know I would have liked these books, not as much as Redwall maybe (speaking of formulaic children's writing), but that's because I genuinely feel that Riordan didn't give Camp Half-Blood enough weight to become a place in a reader's head, which is the main thing if you want wish-fulfillment.

At times he really fulfilled the promise of a modernized greek mythology, Procruste's as a mattress salesman, Medusa shilling lawn ornaments, once when he hinted at the darker aspects of Dionysus' powers...also a rare appreciation of the much-forgotten Hestia. The books have a raving fan-base, the movie did pretty well, there just wasn't any spark to these books that made my reading Percy & pals tromping from one adventure to another anything but passing time. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
3.5 stars ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
"Percy, lesser beings do many horrible things in the name of the gods. That does not mean we gods approve. The way our sons and daughters act in our names... well, it usually says more about them than it does about us."
This is probably the most coherently novel-like in the series. By this, I mean that it has themes and foreshadowing, and slower, calmer moments to balance out the action. There are more characters with greyer morality and interesting motivations than in previous books. Solidly good.

"Remake the wild, a little at a time, each in your own corner of the world. You cannot wait for anyone else, even a god, to do that for you." ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
I am really enjoying this series I am going to be so sad when it ends. ( )
  magickislife | Nov 20, 2018 |
I have to say, that this is my favorite book so far, in this series. Everything was amped up, the mythology, the relationships *cough* Percy and Annabeth *cough*, the characters, just everything. Probably my favorite thing about this series, is how realistically the people, behave in their various relationships and states of mind, it is really fascinating. Now I can't wait to see what happens in the next book. Greek gods for the win! Yeah! ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Becky, who always leads me through the maze.
The last thing I wanted to do on my summer break was blow up another school.
This LT work is the fourth volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.

In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth -- a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn.

When demonic cheerleaders invade his high school, Percy Jackson hurries to Camp Half Blood, from whence he and his demigod friends set out on a quest through the Labyrinth, while the war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,535,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible