The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

The Battle of the Labyrinth (edition 2009)

by Rick Riordan

Title:The Battle of the Labyrinth
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Tags:american literature, fantasy, fiction, YA

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Recently added byAarya.T, DannSchuler, private library, GSMS, blue324, RickyHaas, dionnedsouza, lj3809, MrBWaters, Jaikrowy
    The Odyssey by Homer (Jitsusama)
    Jitsusama: An ancient classic revolving around Greek Myth. A great help to better understand the mythology of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaire (saltypepper)
    saltypepper: More accessible than Homer for younger and/or reluctant readers, plus beautifully illustrated.
    The Iliad by Homer (Jitsusama)

English (209)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (212)
I liked this book because it has Greek Mythology. I love the Percy Jackson series because it is an adventure. ( )
  AlexaB15 | Sep 12, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Personally, this was my least favourite book in the Percy Jackson series. I've been thinking about why exactly, but haven't really found a reason. Perhaps I just read it at the wrong time, or too close on the other book so I was bothered with the repetitive structure of the story.

This time focussing on the story of the Labyrinth and Ariadna's wire, once again I liked the mythology. With the addition of some new characters it never stops adding new layers to the already complex mythology in the books. The story, while following the same structure of the other books, already felt like the set-up for the grand finale that's coming in the last book.

Still enjoyable though. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
"The fourth novel in the Percy Jackson series was rather polarizing for me. On the one hand, it represented an aggressive move from the usually harmless adventures of the young teens, to a darker and bloodier novel. I welcome the change, especially since I have complained in some of the novels that there was a definite lack of permanence and actual stakes.

The book is packed with nicely written and powerful scenes and, as a coherent whole, I felt very in tune with Battle of the Labyrinth. The titular setting – the ever-shifting Labyrinth that magically connects various places through a complex series of underground tunnels – was suitably oppressive. Strange as it may seem, I loved feeling compressed under all those tons of earth, trying to find the way out. I guess I just love night time, so imagine how I felt imagining myself in a place where it's always night. Ok, it was also filled with monsters and other dangers, but still...

Anyway, on the most part, the heroes are set on defending their camp from the Titan Lord: Kronos and his growing army as he gathers his strength and plans on wiping out Camp Half-Blood and Olympus itself, before enslaving/destroying humanity along the way. Suitably high stakes, and with an actual battle in the last few chapters of the novel, it does live up to its name, and finally shows us why these Half-Bloods have been training half their lives.

As the story goes on, Percy and Annabeth’s relationship crawls along awkwardly, with some kind of tension between them, along with adolescent ""confused feelings"" and jealousy. It’s all a bit painful to read, honestly. Some of the minor characters introduced to the plot are only there for a few specific scenes, and vanish without a second thought just chapters later. Grover’s finally gets some closure on his quest to find the great god Pan. With all this loose ends being connected, I felt like Battle of the Labyrinth was a ""filler"" novel. It had its moments, but it was largely just wrapping up some plot threads from the previous novel, as though Rick Riordan really wanted to start the final book with a clean slate.

Overall, this novel isn't particularly bad, but it isn’t particularly good. Compared to Titan’s Curse, it feels like it’s lacking a coherent plot thread; the ending felt a little rushed. Also, the characters are starting to feel flat and worn-out, recycling the same emotions and desires. Still, I liked it well enough, even though I wish some nuances of the story had been better developed.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a person, he can't be fixed.

The Last Passage
Nico tapped at his silver ring. ‘But that’s not the real reason I’ve come. I’ve found out some things. I want to make you an offer.’
‘The way to beat Luke,’ he said. ‘If I’m right, it’s the only way you’ll stand a chance.’
I took a deep breath. ‘Okay. I’m listening.’
Nico glanced inside my room. His eyebrows furrowed. ‘Is that… is that blue birthday cake?’
He sounded hungry, maybe a little wistful. I wondered if the poor kid had ever had a birthday party, or if he’d ever even been invited to one.
‘Come inside for cake and ice cream,’ I said. ‘It sounds like we’ve got a lot to talk about.’
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
With the worry that Camp Half-Blood will be attacked, Percy and his friends (led by Annabeth) must go on a quest inside the labyrinth that is located (but moves around) underneath America.

These books really are a lot of fun! I think I do better to read them than to listen, though. There is a lot of action in these YA books and it keeps me wanting to read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 16, 2015 |
It should all be tiring by now. Somehow, it isn't. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Becky, who always leads me through the maze.
The last thing I wanted to do on my summer break was blow up another school.
This LT work is the fourth volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
Percy Jackson manages to be admitted to a new high school, but a battle with demon cheerleaders ends up with the school burning, so it's back to Camp Half-Blood. But the camp isn't so safe anymore, with war between the Olympians and lord Kronos approaching. Percy and the demigods must venture on a quest through the Labyrinth to try to stop the enemy from invading the Camp.

When demonic cheerleaders invade his high school, Percy Jackson hurries to Camp Half Blood, from whence he and his demigod friends set out on a quest through the Labyrinth, while the war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible